Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is my first diesel and I'm coming from a Chevy 6.0. My temp gauge sits at 210* and I'm just wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yes, the factory gauge is wrong though. actually op temp is around 180-185.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the factory gauge is wrong though. actually op temp is around 180-185.
Really? By 30*? I guess GM doesn't care that we monitor our engine temps very closely...

God damn its 2012 and we cant even get an accurate temp guage on a $50K truck.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yeah... it kinda sucks. but yeah that's how far it is off on my CTS vs the dash.
the trans temp gauge is dead on though. not sure about oil pressure

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think the ECT on the Edge reads engine oil temp. If you press PID info it states that some diesels use oil temp and some use cylinder head temp. Mine doesn't come up fast enough to be cylinder head and moves at a different pace than the coolant temp. I think it is monitoring the oil temp for a CEL activation.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
i'm sorry but that is wrong. no dmax has a factory EOT sensor. you have to add one of those. engine oil temp would run higher than 180-190 pulling my 8 thousand pound boat on a 90 degree day.

the engine coolant temp on the edge reads engine coolant temp

·
I'm That Guy...
16,728 Posts
i'm sorry but that is wrong. No dmax has a factory eot sensor. You have to add one of those. Engine oil temp would run higher than 180-190 pulling my 8 thousand pound boat on a 90 degree day.

The engine coolant temp on the edge reads engine coolant temp
x2.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can tell you that today when I got home my gauge read straight up 210 and I took the temp on the hot side rad tank, 175. Good news though the cool side read a 30+ degree drop at idle in my driveway, ambient temp 60F

·
Registered
813 Posts
i'm sorry but that is wrong. no dmax has a factory EOT sensor. you have to add one of those. engine oil temp would run higher than 180-190 pulling my 8 thousand pound boat on a 90 degree day.

how-->thermocouple or thermistor?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Like said, the factory temp gauge is pretty inaccurate. It starts moving off 160* when the coolant gets above 100*f. When it reads 185* its actually only about 130-140. When the gauge is straight up the engine is at 185*. And the gauge doesn't move til your over 210*. Never had my lmm higher than 205* so I can't say what happens after that.

The fuel gauge on the lmm anyway is way off too. Says empty with 6-7 gallons left. The rest of the gauges are very accurate though.

Sent from my old skool Droid

·
Registered
944 Posts

No need to apologize :drink I assumed that it was the same different because of the exact match with the TFT. Funny that everyone's goes to 210. Not much on accuracy but at least they are consistent.:rof

·
Registered
46 Posts
That low fuel warning is bogus,I don't know if they just to that so you won't run out of gas.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would rather get a low fuel warning too early than too late.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
once the low fuel light comes on is a good time to fill up. when there is less fuel in the tank, there is less fuel to dissipate the heat from the returned fuel. our fuel cooler is not very effective (at least not OBS) and fuel that is too hot does not burn as well and can affect mpg's/performance

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
No need to apologize :drink I assumed that it was the same different because of the exact match with the TFT. Funny that everyone's goes to 210. Not much on accuracy but at least they are consistent.:rof
yeah it really throws a lot of people for a loop. i have no idea why they would let the truck leave with gauges that are inaccurate. that's how it is on most other cars though too. it's crazy. at least they got TFT right and we don't have to worry about it lol

how-->thermocouple or thermistor?
you know i'm really not sure on that, i want to add a EOT gauge, but am not sure which one they use. I know people monitor temps at different locations. whether it be drilling and tapping the pan or using a fitting in one of the lines

·
Registered
813 Posts
yeah it really throws a lot of people for a loop. i have no idea why they would let the truck leave with gauges that are inaccurate. that's how it is on most other cars though too. it's crazy. at least they got TFT right and we don't have to worry about it lol

you know i'm really not sure on that, i want to add a EOT gauge, but am not sure which one they use. I know people monitor temps at different locations. whether it be drilling and tapping the pan or using a fitting in one of the lines
is the accuracy of the stock in dash guages because of the sensor or the response of the in dash guage? depending on where the inaccuracy originates, there could be easy fixes for guage problems... also, when installing aftermarket guages, do you bother to do a test calibrations to verify its output is accurate on the guage?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
i am not sure on where the inaccuracy stems from. i know the stepper gauges are long outdated.

usually no such calibration is necessary. the OBDII port gauges are usually dead on

·
Registered
10 Posts
once the low fuel light comes on is a good time to fill up. when there is less fuel in the tank, there is less fuel to dissipate the heat from the returned fuel. our fuel cooler is not very effective (at least not OBS) and fuel that is too hot does not burn as well and can affect mpg's/performance
I read somewhere that on the LML they got rid of the fuel cooler. I haven’t crawled under the truck to check yet though.

I know the story I heard about why the temp gage is so in accurate was that people would complain to service that their vehicle was overheating or not heating up quick enough so they went to a placebo gage to solve the complaints.:Duh!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I read somewhere that on the LML they got rid of the fuel cooler. I haven’t crawled under the truck to check yet though.

I know the story I heard about why the temp gage is so in accurate was that people would complain to service that their vehicle was overheating or not heating up quick enough so they went to a placebo gage to solve the complaints.:Duh!
yeah that makes sense. surprised they haven't done that with the oil pressure gauge either. i know on my f150 it never moved off the center tick mark lol

i don't know why they would remove the cooler, yeah the stocker didn't do a great job, but warmer fuel = worse performance..

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,283 Posts
No fuel cooler on the lml.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app while eating a beef and bean burrito.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts