Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Today I have a very generic question about the newest L5P trucks. Currently I have an 06 LBZ ZF6 CC/SB and she is in very clean condition. Don't lose your minds I am not gonna get rid of it! She will be mine for many years to come.馃憤 I am looking to purchase a new dually to tow loads for my small excavation company, and usually they're in excess of 20-25k pounds. My 06 is in really good shape and I do not wanna tear it up towing heavy loads and to be honest she is built more like a pavement princess than a work truck.. Over the past couple of months I was looking at an LML series dually, but the more I read the more it seems like they have far to many issues to mess with one, especially the prices of them now. So I figured hell why not buy a new truck but I know that there is a lot of sporadic issues with the L5P engines over the past couple of years as well. Mainly I am seeking advice on what route to go on when purchasing a newer dually truck because my experience with the Duramax platform is more of the LB7-LBZ generations. Interior does not matter to me mainly due to the fact that I will be using it as a work truck and the simpler is better. I am mainly concerned with the towing properties and mechanical reliability. Would it be worth it or should I just stay with an older LMM or even try to find another LBZ truck? Any advice helps. Thank you all!:)

Registered
Avoid the LML. The new ones don't seem to have the frequency of issues that plagued the LMLs. LMMs are decent as long as the DPF has been taken care of and not abused.

Registered
I have a 2020 and I love it. I have had basically no issues as of yet. I've towed about 22k lbs at the most usually around 12-16k and it handles it great. If you're going to be towing that much I would get a newer one. They're much bigger trucks, more HP/Torque, bigger brakes, bigger frame, etc. I had an 03 LB7 dually and my 20 single wheel still tows much better. I haven't had an LML, but I would still go with a new L5P with a warranty.

Reactions: ColoradoOutdoors

Premium Member
2020 Chevy 3500 L5P CC LB SRW 2WD LTZ
I had a 2016 DRW and loved it. Now I'm in a 2020 SRW. The 2020 is a more stout frame. I think you can still find a deal on a WT trim. I get the feeling from reading the forums that the more often you tow the less problems you have. They are designed to work. I would get a new one. Save the pavement princess for going to dinner!

Registered
The new L5Ps pricing is insane. About the only ones buying them are small companies that are using the trucks as a business tax deduction. Being you are basically looking to do the same a new truck might be a viable option. I will say new L5P with the 10 speed tranny are some of the most capable towing Duramaxes that have been built. I will agree with other comments here for what you are doing I would stay away from the LMLs just with the CP4 issues. You are still going to have to deal with DEF issues but for capability for towing it is hard to beat the L5Ps. Dean

Premium Member
Go look at the medium duty trucks. Available in WT and LT trims only. They are cab/chassis only so you put what bed your work requires on it.

Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
I'm new to diesel trucks bought a 2021 2500 this year only have 11k miles so far I tow a horse trailer about 10000 to 11000 ish pounds on weekends mainly it's my daily driving truck. Absolutely love it. A 6.6 duramax is a little overkill for the weight I'm towing and the distances I tow. I could have been just fine with the gas motor but I just wanted the diesel. For me it was wants over needs.

Only problems from new was one faulty connector in side mirror harness, gauge cluster had unfixable display error and was replaced all under warranty in the first few weeks. Same types of initial issues I had with my 2003 1500 silverado when I bought it new. I attribute those two issues to it being a new truck and teething pains. Everything has been flawless since.

I drove my 2003 until this year. No way to know how my 2021 will be 15 years from now but if it behaves like my 03 it may be the truck I have until I cant drive anymore.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go look at the medium duty trucks. Available in WT and LT trims only. They are cab/chassis only so you put what bed your work requires on it.
I looked into purchasing one of the 4500-6500 series truck and the price I was quoted was ridiculously more expensive than the 3500 truck by like 15k dollars. Also, the tow rating doesn't hardly change with the larger size. I appreciate all of the comments from everyone. It is extremely helpful.

Premium Member
My understanding from a couple of YT videos was the 4500-6500 class is not designed for towing but for utility bodies and such. 3500 is the towing beast. I looked at the 4500-6500 and decided no go also.

Administrator
I really am impressed with the new trucks, I have a 2017 and it does really well now that they have worked out the early issues with the L5P. I would say yes to your question about a 2022, as others said the other years have some ups and downs. Assuming you buy trucks to keep them, upgrading to exactly what you want and keeping it forever feels good even though it might be cheaper to buy something a year or two old. There are rumors of a re-design in 2023 or 2024 for the interior to include the Cadillac escalade touch screen.

Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
I came from an LMM to my 2017 L5P and the upgrade was definitely worth it. Did that truck do everything I needed it to? Yep. Did I need more power? Nope. But the creature comforts and driveability of the newer trucks was worth it to me. I don't tow heavy; our camper is only a GVWR of 13K+ lbs, but it was a noticeable difference in handling and power.

It's also my daily driver, and it's just a nicer ride all around.

Registered
I've followed the intro of the L5P, the new 10 speed and the new '20+ frame body. My brother actually bought a 2020 HC, CC, 4x4, LB 3500 SRW and I've borrowed it a couple times now and checked it out pretty thoroughly. Along with what I've read in GM releases, pictures, etc., the '20+ trucks are a whole 'nother class of truck from previous models. My 2002 CC, 4x2 SB 2500 tips the scales at about 6800 - 6900 lbs. My brother's 2020 is 8,786 lbs if I remember right. In any case, it's almost 9,000 lbs. About 2,000 lbs heavier than my '02. Granted, some of that difference is 4x4, some is the heavier rear leaf springs for a 3500, and some of it High Country gizmos and EPA garbage but a lot of it is in the frame. Soooooo much more truck than the older ones. My brother has a 30+ foot flatbed G/N with the 8 tire set up that's absolutely huge. He also still has his old 2003 Duramax that he's had since new. He says towing that trailer, even empty is about all the older truck wants to do and he doesn't feel safe doing it. But says the new truck handles it like a dream. Even loaded with a 75 HP John Deere with front-end loader, grapple and a 16' wide "batwing" bush hog it's no problem for the new truck.

Are they worth it? If you're towing HEAVY on a regular basis, I'd think so.

Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
Like most others said i would avoid the LML and its problems. The L5P runs so much better and is just a workhorse. I haven鈥檛 towed or driven the 20+ with 10 speed very much yet but them that i have talked too that have say they tow very well. I would probably buy a new one or wait till used priced cool off a bit if i were in your shoes. Of course with the job i have i would do a salvage rebuild.

Registered
If you buying it to do commercial work in in excess of 20-25K, then I'm guessing actual weight rating is important.to you.

The 20+ trucks win that battle.

otoh, extensive chassis changes when LML introduced -- which was 2011 model.
'11 also added the exhaust brake, bigger service brakes etc.
So significant upgrades from the '10 and earlier as far as chassis / powertrain.

An old review from when LML release, but good info regarding the '11 - '19 chassis

The L5P came in '17, but the frame/chassis didn't change til the '20 model.

Just as 11 got a new chassis and same body, the 15/16 brought the new body on same frame, and then 17-19 brought the L5P.

'20+ have still L5P, but with 10L1000 instead of the 6 speed.
Everything else is new in '20+

L5P uses a Denso HPFP, getting away from the bosch pumps.

Only you can decide what year is 'worth it' in your situation.

Reactions: blythkd1

Registered
I won't go into all the L5P thing, just suffice it to say I bought into all the hype, traded off my 2012 and it was the worst decision of my entire life. My '18 was not good to me. It was a very nice clean one owner traded back in at the same dealership it came from for another new one. It was only 2 years old and had 120k miles on it. Cost me thousands over 6 months and barely made me a dime, spent all of it's time in the shop. So enough of that. I guess my L5P ownership experience was not representative. Everyone else seems to love them.

But...you might want to at least test drive a new one before you get serious about dropping all that money. After my L5P experience I went out and bought a new 3500 gasser. I like the truck overall except I can't see out of it. Visibility sucks. I put tons of miles on my '12 and never noticed a lack of visibility. My '18 seemed fine for seeing out of. The '21 is like trying to see out of a big hood Pete, except at least you can see out the side windows of the Pete. I can't park it for sh*t. I find myself rolling down the window or opening the door so I can tell where I'm at in a parking spot. I can't stand to leave my truck crooked or not centered in a parking spot. I jump in my '04 F-550 with the high-vis side windows and the difference in visibility is extremely evident. It makes the new truck seem like a chop top.

It's my biggest bitch on the new truck. It's ok going down the highway but turning corners, maneuvering in parking lots, parking, etc. leaves a whole lot to be desired. If I go sit in some other trucks that look and feel better, my '21 HC ownership experience may not be a long one.

Registered
Visibility sucks. I put tons of miles on my '12 and never noticed a lack of visibility. My '18 seemed fine for seeing out of. The '21 is like trying to see out of a big hood Pete, except at least you can see out the side windows of the Pete. I can't park it for sh*t. I find myself rolling down the window or opening the door so I can tell where I'm at in a parking spot. I can't stand to leave my truck crooked or not centered in a parking spot. I jump in my '04 F-550 with the high-vis side windows and the difference in visibility is extremely evident. It makes the new truck seem like a chop top.

It's my biggest bitch on the new truck. It's ok going down the highway but turning corners, maneuvering in parking lots, parking, etc. leaves a whole lot to be desired. If I go sit in some other trucks that look and feel better, my '21 HC ownership experience may not be a long one.

Interesting. I never noticed a visibility problem driving my brother's '20. I drove it several hundred miles in the two times I borrowed it (because my old turd was broke) and pretty much in all the conditions that I drive my truck in.

What I did notice was:

The side view mirrors are MUCH better than the ones on my truck and seeing cars next to me in other lanes was much easier to do in his truck.

The heads up display could use some work. My wife's Camaro had that and I never had a problem seeing it but in the truck, if wearing sun glasses, it becomes hard and at times impossible to see the HUD.

The truck is HUGE compared to my old 2002. It sits up waaaaay higher and is generally just a much bigger vehicle - and it definitely feels like you're driving a much larger vehicle. Of course some of that is because his is a crew cab, long bed and mine is a crew cab, short bed.

Parking might be a problem without all the cameras on the High Country models because I was definitely using the front and rear view cameras when parking.

Reactions: blythkd1

Registered
Interesting. I never noticed a visibility problem driving my brother's '20. I drove it several hundred miles in the two times I borrowed it (because my old turd was broke) and pretty much in all the conditions that I drive my truck in.

What I did notice was:

The side view mirrors are MUCH better than the ones on my truck and seeing cars next to me in other lanes was much easier to do in his truck.

The heads up display could use some work. My wife's Camaro had that and I never had a problem seeing it but in the truck, if wearing sun glasses, it becomes hard and at times impossible to see the HUD.

The truck is HUGE compared to my old 2002. It sits up waaaaay higher and is generally just a much bigger vehicle - and it definitely feels like you're driving a much larger vehicle. Of course some of that is because his is a crew cab, long bed and mine is a crew cab, short bed.

Parking might be a problem without all the cameras on the High Country models because I was definitely using the front and rear view cameras when parking.
I've just noticed a big difference in visibility between the style of trucks I've driven since 2007 and put 350k miles on and the 2021. The difference slaps me in the face. I'm always craning my head and neck around trying to see out where I never had to do that before.

And yeah it seems like a much larger vehicle, no doubt about it.

I was ready to look for aftermarket mirrors until I finally got mine adjusted right now they seem fine. They could still do better on mirrors if they got some good feedback from guys that tow a lot. My main gripe now with the mirrors is the 2" block that got carved out for the camera. Seems like they surely should have been able to do better if they'd tried. I really wish the spot where that camera is was actually a mirror.

And I probably never would have paid for a camera package, assuming it's probably not cheap. But since my HC has it, I have to admit they're pretty nice. When you're towing and hit a turn signal you can immediately see down the side of the truck where you turning toward or changing lanes to. That's pretty nice since the truck has a pretty significant blindspot.

There's a lot of good stuff. Guess it's just my nature to take most of it for granted and focus on the bad stuff that I wish was improved. I apologize for that.

Premium Member
I wish the side cameras came on whenever you turn the turn signal on. Of course there might be a setting I haven't found.

Registered
My 2003 with a 6" lift and 35s next to a 2020 with 5" and 37s. Its about the same difference in size as my 2003 parked next to a Tacoma. They look and drive nice but I like the size of my LB7.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Cloud Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts