Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well most of you know by now that my tranny has been running hot. Getting above 200 daily... However, what I want to know is will putting the SCIV solve the running hot issue? I've been told that what's probably the cause of the heat is when the converter locks something is slipping in it and causing excessive heat. So it sure sounds like a converter would fix the problem, but just trying to make sure before I take the plunge.

What temp does your SCIV run at normally, I hear they are typically a little warmer than stock due to less tolerances???

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
i have a suncoast IV with a 1055 T/C. When i did the trans i also added the Mag Hytec double deep pan. 2 weeks ago i pulled my trailer (pictured) up a 4-7% grade @ 75 mph for over 15 miles. The engine temp was right at 200, EGTS were around 1100-1200, and the trans temp barely creep to the 200 line.

With that said, i dont recall seeing the temp go above 200 since my trans rebuild last summer. I think its a combination of the kit, but the double seep pan is the real factor.

Also i run Amsoil full synthetic in the trans.

·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
it sounds like that would be ur issue... but are u having anyother issues then heat?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that SCIV tranny will run hotter then a normal tranny due to the beefed up converter...

This may be only hearsay..

Why not a tranny cooler?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds like that would be ur issue... but are u having anyother issues then heat?
No other issues. It's shifting fine, and doing good. I've just been easy as possible on it since it's been running hot.

My transparts IV runs 100* over ambient when cruising with converter locked. In town temps are 120-130* over ambient.
Tyler, help me out with ambient, you mean outside air right?

So it runs 150 if it's 50 degrees outside?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So ya think this is the answer huh? Hey Tyler, pm me a price on a deep pan, and Gmax6 if you will sir!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Talk to me Beech... I'm listening
remove lower valance...and also the little bib thing right behind it. sounds crazy but my trans (fudged up as it is) runs cool as hell and i think thats why

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
remove lower valance...and also the little bib thing right behind it. sounds crazy but my trans (fudged up as it is) runs cool as hell and i think thats why
Lower valance, you mean the air dam? I think I know the bib your talking about

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Lower valance, you mean the air dam? I think I know the bib your talking about
yep...its easy to take off...mine got ripped off but thats another story. anyways i think the way it changed the airflow is what made my trans run cool as hell.

i get to 120 in the winter if im lucky. summer is like 150-160 tops

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
P.m me a price for the gmax 6 and 1056....

What converter would be best with my 37's... I may eventually go back down to 35's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts