Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with a stock gas motor with low compression that octane boosters are a waste of money. Does this parallel diesel engines? Will I gain anything running cetane booster in a stock 05 duramax or am I throwing money out my exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the amsoil cetane booster and diesel fuel condtioner each tank.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I was filling the truck up today watching a guy put premium in his pinto and thinking that was a waste. At that point I relized maybe I was no better pouring the cetane booster in.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Brian...where do you buy the BG products? All I've ever used is the DieselKleen...I firmly believe it makes a difference in my mileage.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Yes, Cetane booster increases the cetane number in the fuel which increases the overall lubricity of the fuel which helps to maintain proper lube in the entire fuel system, this will help to keep the seals in the injectors from drying out, and keep the injector springs from sticking open.....

This is what I use Cetane Booster and I pay wholesale. Although I am not alowed by Amsoil to post pricing in open forum, I will say that I have yet to find one that costs less with the same results when ordered by the case of twelve...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Brian...where do you buy the BG products? All I've ever used is the DieselKleen...I firmly believe it makes a difference in my mileage.
I use dieselkleen also, great stuff.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I use to use Diesel Kleen, but I have to say this, and this is not just a sales pitch, I had no where near the same results running it. My truck runs quieter, and smoother with Amsoil. But yes, Diesel Kleen IS one of the better ones IMHO. I used it for a few years, I only started testing the Amsoil stuff when I became a dealer, but since then I have stuck with it because of the results. BUT, for convenience of buying one bottle at a time locally, I would recommend Diesel Kleen or Stanadyne.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i never have been able to find Stanadyne. Where can it be found? Ive looked at Auto Zone and Advanced Auto.

·
Banned
17,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Okay, ill check out napa. Thanks!

·
502 Posts
Cetane is the opposite of octane. High octane inhibits a fuel's ability to ignite so high cetane increases the ability for any given fuel to ignite. A diesel engine running higher cetane fuel should start easier and run more efficiently due to a more complete fuel burn. In Europe, the minimum cetane is 45 while here in the US it's 40. I bet our trucks would run a lot strong with European spec diesel...

:drink

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Cetane is the opposite of octane. High octane inhibits a fuel's ability to ignite so high cetane increases the ability for any given fuel to ignite. A diesel engine running higher cetane fuel should start easier and run more efficiently due to a more complete fuel burn. In Europe, the minimum cetane is 45 while here in the US it's 40. I bet our trucks would run a lot strong with European spec diesel...

:drink
Actually no.....the higher cetane number has nothing to do with a fuels combustibility but it's moment of ignition.

Definition

Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay; the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels. Cetane numbers are only used for the relatively light distillate diesel oils. For heavy (residual) fuel oil two other scales are used CCAI and CII.

High cetane in an otherwise factory diesel engine is a waste.......look to additives with more lubricant that would foot the bill. Amsoil makes an additive aside from the cetane boost that should work better IMO.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts