Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has 1600 kms on it and I got the "1600 km range left- Def warning". Obviously the dealer never filled the tank upon delivery in Feb.. I phoned them and they say that they never fill the DEF fluid due to freezing so they only put in one jug, bigger size. I asked if they then would fill it if I drive there and they said that I would need to pay for it. ($15 a jug) I thought I read on here that people were getting DEF refilled as part of the 2 yr maintenance. If so does anyone know where I can get that in writing? The dealer is playing hard ball...its a small issue but if it is supposed to be included then I want it done right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The shop was closed when i took delivery of mine, took it back the following saturday for them to detail and top of the def fluid. I've been "told" they will top it off every time it comes into the shop for service. Nothing in writing though, only thing I have talks about the included oil changes. I would atleast argue that they owe you a tank for the original delivery. A full tank lasts longer than 1600km

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work at a Chevy dealership in sales, used to be in service, ill have to run back and ask the service manager how we usually do it, however what I always did was fill them up when they were in for service like stated above. We never really do just walk-ins for it though. Plus that's what ive had done with mine, just have them top it off when I bring it in for service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea it includes DEF but normally will only do it when its brought in for service, not just if you walk in and that's all you need.

However if they didn't fill it completely when it was PDI'd they should fill it for you. Should be full upon delivery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same issue with mine the dealer is supposed to fill the tank before you drive it home. I went to another dealer and they filled it but wanted to use one of my 4 free services at 1000 miles and only fill the DEF so I paid for it and had the original dealer pay me for it. Once I did have it serviced they filled the tank no issue.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yea it includes DEF but normally will only do it when its brought in for service, not just if you walk in and that's all you need.

However if they didn't fill it completely when it was PDI'd they should fill it for you. Should be full upon delivery.
+1 - I tried to get my dealer to fill my DEF before I was in need of an oil change. They assumed the GM "warranty" would cover it, so they filled it, THEN went to get it paid. GM declined, so I had to pay an EXORBITANT price for DEF when I could have bought it off the shelf at Wally World or out of the pump at the Pilot station for a small fraction of the cost. I was PIZZED, and actually haven't been back to that dealer since.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it weren't for them topping off the fluid at the first 4 free oil changes I would already be installing delete kits/tunes. I just know that somehow or another they would take away any additional free oil changes if I deleted before hand lol.

·
Registered
846 Posts
To all -

Your factory schedule free maintenance covers oil change, filter change, tire rotation and diesel exhaust fluid top off up to 4 services within the first 2 years and 24,000 miles from date of in service.

"ACDelco Oil and filter change (Cruze Diesel and models equipped with a Duramax® engine include an ACDelco Diesel Exhaust Fluid refill at each of the four provided visits; see a participating dealer for other restrictions and complete details)"

^to the best of my knowledge this will cover up to 1 jug of DEF fluid at a quantity of 2 1/2 gallons. After that is is on the customer to top off the fluid. If the vehicle does not take the full jug it can be given to the customer.

As for Pre-Delivery " Final Inspection & Prep – Vehicles built with Duramax Diesel engines (RPOs LML/LGH) only. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) MUST be filled prior to customer delivery. Refer to the Duramax Diesel Owner Manual supplement"

^this is straight from their forms. So if you have a gripe with them. Have the service manager print off his form and read it. Then show sales and ask why it was not done.

Also it is listed that topping off the fluid is not included in their program unless combined with a service visit. "Fluid top-offs are NOT covered"

I think I got most of the questions answered. If you have questions post them up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had to talk to the service manager a couple times. They weren't rotating my tires or topping off my def. Says right on the window sticker that it's included.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had to talk to the service manager a couple times. They weren't rotating my tires or topping off my def. Says right on the window sticker that it's included.
Are your single or dual rear wheels?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are your single or dual rear wheels?
SRW. I have a mark on one wheel so it was easy to tell they didn't do it. Manager made it right though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That is good. Also DWR is excluded

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went in for my first free oil change 4k miles ago, didn't top off my def. I am deleting as soon as my stuff comes in. Amsoil is better for engines anyways :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dealer topped my DEF off when i bought truck and said come back for my free oil changes and they will top off when i come in for them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My local dealer told me that Chevy added def top off after i had purchased my truck in late aug of 2014 and are suppose to top it off if its low during your 4 scheduled oil changes etc. and @ChevyHD a small word of advise i always ask for proof from the dealer that they in fact rotated the tires and changed the oil etc. i also marked my oil filter and tires to check after the fact call me crazy but if you spend $50k or more on a truck better make damn sure its been done.

Hope this helps!
Dzy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just had my first service (7500 miles) and I asked the service manager he said they will top any liquid or lubrication that is low and he did clarify that DEF SHOULD!!!!! Be included lol

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would just make sure on the receipt that the DEF fluid is charged out. It will not show a dollar amount but the part should be charged out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer pulled mine in day after I bought it and said they needed to top it off, it took less than one gallon. I thought the fill till it spills process was pretty crappy. They did rinse with water afterwards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.