Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was talking to a buddy of mine with a duramax and he said that he kept his truck stock for 18000 miles before he modded it, then he menchens that he got another ecm when he modded it so if anything ever happens to it that he'd just take it back too stock(and put the ecm with 18000 mile on it in the truck) and take it in for his repairs.

My question is, is it illegal to do this?

I know this is prolly a dumb question but i wanna know! Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
897 Posts
No, most ECMs don't record mileage, and the Odometer won't roll back because you change ECMs. He is not fooling anyone.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
depends on the truck if ECM records mileage.....some of the newer ECM's will so the mileage& runtime can tattle tell on you if you do ECM swaps for mods and stock one to get warranty work done. but not illegal.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Most think just a ecm will get you by but the tcm needs to also be changed. They take a snap shot of the max tq the truck has seen in the tcm and they know what the max is stock. It's hard to trick Gm if they do not want to pay and you really try to hide it your going to pay out the ass in the long run. Most dealers will fix the parts asking as its not related to what you have done and with the way you go into the dealer. I still had injectors replaced and other parts under warranty with a built motor and twin cp3's and a GT4202R on it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah he has an 08, just curious middoc how could it tattle on you?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most think just a ecm will get you by but the tcm needs to also be changed. They take a snap shot of the max tq the truck has seen in the tcm and they know what the max is stock. It's hard to trick Gm if they do not want to pay and you really try to hide it your going to pay out the ass in the long run. Most dealers will fix the parts asking as its not related to what you have done and with the way you go into the dealer. I still had injectors replaced and other parts under warranty with a built motor and twin cp3's and a GT4202R on it.
Thats nice to hear! i wanna know your dealer! However i know thats not how it is most of the time

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yeah he has an 08, just curious middoc how could it tattle on you?
Lets say your trans craters on you....and like rip said they take a snap shot of your TCM max torque curve...well then they look at your ECM and never shows anywhere near that type of performance (stock vs non-stock numbers on TCM) it will raise a flag

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Thats nice to hear! i wanna know your dealer! However i know thats not how it is most of the time
Family owned dealer back home in Md that we have always bought from. Sad part is I bought this truck from a dealer in the next state over because they would not trade and all my dealer had was fully loaded trucks but they still treat me good. The next morning after cracking a piston we had the motor torn apart I took the piston in when I ordered the gaskets for the build. I went to the service managers office and put it in front and said I need the motor covered as I laughed he said he would try if I wanted him to. I told him it would be a waiste of time I popped one stock one it would happen again that and I already ordered all my parts. But for the most part if you shoot straight with them they will treat you well on what they can. There is a lot of things the dealer has no say in these days a rep comes out and checks the trucks out if he sees stickers and stakes lifts and gauges they take pics and say no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts