Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 crewcab, LML Duramax + Allison 1000

I've read that GM offered PTO as an option on the 3500 series pickups with the Allison transmission, but never seen it mentioned they were ever offered on the 2500HD.

2500HD or 3500 cab+chassis shouldn't matter right? The Allison in both is the same transmission right?

I would like to add a PTO , to power a generator to get 3 phase electricity. To power a welder, lathe, Milling machine , air compressor, industrial steam cleaner.

Cheaper and more compact to use the Duramax for electrical power generation than tow a stand alone genset. Is there another way to run a generator off the Duramax , without going the PTO route?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this too. However, I have a 2016 2500 Denali level. I've seen reference to these kinds of options only being available for lower "work" trims; seriously, like a guy can't have a nice work truck.?. Anyway, all I've see is that the only definitive way is to pop the cover to see if it is a gear or a tone ring.

If someone has better advice than this, like a code letter in the VIN it'd be nice to know.

Mark

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The PTO option requires there to be a gear in the transmission. Early Allisions all had the gear, later ones were only in select vehicles.

From what I understand, the PTO will only fit on the Cab and Chassis body trucks due to floor board interferences.

If you do not have the necessary PTO gear in the transmission, it can be added by a transmission shop.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
PTO does require a hump in the passenger footwell as well as switch and ecm programs. This is for the idle-up and load control. All my trucks have been WT's and they came with all the above except the actual pto.
Not sure if the WT trans is different- kinda doubt it. Look at yours and see if it has a pto window cover

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but motors from electric vehicles are 3-phase and can be bought cheap. That might be a possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts