Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that some of the programmers say they raise the rev limiter to 4400. When I get on it the truck pulls real hard from 2500 on up. That extra 1200rpm sure would be nice, but I don't want to blow up the engine either. Has anyone been spinning their trucks this high regularly?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I have mine set to 4k but with a stock turbo your engine wont make any power up there if it will even go that high.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like it's still pulling hard when I have to shift at 3200 right now. I would like to be able to shift it when the power dies off rather than when GM thinks I should shift at 3200.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
If you want to spin the enginr that high the only tuners i know that will allow it to make power past 3000 rpms are the ppehot et+2 and efi live! Mainly because the fueling table is nothing but 0's after 3250 rpms so even raisng the rev limiter there is still no fuel up there, these two tuners i know take care of the problem, others might but i never tried.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to spin the enginr that high the only tuners i know that will allow it to make power past 3000 rpms are the ppehot et+2 and efi live! Mainly because the fueling table is nothing but 0's after 3250 rpms so even raisng the rev limiter there is still no fuel up there, these two tuners i know take care of the problem, others might but i never tried.
Cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i turn mine to 4500. not on a regular basis, just when pullin and its mainly because of the extra wheel speed (i dont have enough ass to run 4th gear).

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya with ppe hot et 2 you can completely remove the rpm governer if you want to but i don't like the idea seeing i did it one day and forgot about it and went into a really hard throttle and nearly choked when i looked at my tack pushing 5k rpm's,i didn't really gain much over 4k rpm's due to it runs out of fuel and air at that many r's but i'm thinking with more fuel and bigger turbo it would bennefit for more speed..hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So with the PPE hot +2 can you adjust the rev limiter or is it just 4400 and off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
you won't hit that in regular driving, you will have to do somthin like lock out over drive to get that high, and yes they will make horse power that high, maybe not the torque you want but they will make power. And as to them holding up at that rpm mine has spun that high many many times, coming off hills grade braking in tow haul mode. Ran it up to 4700 once, scared me but it ran fine.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Grade braking and fueling up that high are totally different. On grade braking it is perfectly safe for the truck to run up to 4800 (at least from the allison site). I don't think there is much benifit to raise the rev limiter past 4000. The engine will spin fine at 4400, but I don't know if I would make a habit out of it over normal driving. As far as the PPE, I'm not sure about the rev limiter removal function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they will spin without fuel, they will spin with it. And yes, they will run but as to normal driving conditions, just remember if your gonna play, your gonna pay.....

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya with the rev limiter off i have seen 5k r's one time and it scared me spitless..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts