Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this truck from a dealership. It has a cold air intake on it and I did find a EGT probe installed in the passenger side manifold. From what I can tell it might have had some sort of a programmer on it. Is there any way to tell? If it had one and they removed it will it default back to stock? If not how do I get it back to stock programming? Compared to my dads bone stock 02 Dmax this 04 has way more power and accelerates very fast.

From what I can tell it appears the tuner/programmer was mounted under the hood and had a control mounted on the dash.

·
Registered
633 Posts
From what I have learned, the stock tune gets pulled out and a replacement gets put in. To put it back to stock, they have to replace the stock tune. It doesn't just default back to it.

Chances are you have some sort of tune in it if it has those mods. No way to tell what tune it has without pulling it out and looking at the file.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Take it back to the dealership and ask them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership wants over $100 ish just to check the programming and its $300 ish to reflash.

Guess I will leave it the way it is for now, at some point get it reflashed and get an EFI.

It has tons of power and will accelerate very well, going to see what kind of mileage it gets and hope for the best until I can put some money into it.

You would think the tech would do it anyways while they are replacing the clockspring (an agreed upon repair prior to buying the vehicle, thankfully), but no.

I do have an AutoEnginuity scanner, I bought several years ago, would I just need to buy the GM enhanced interface to access the full diagnostics of the duramax?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lb7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought the AutoEnginuity, back in 2004-2006 ish, I bought the GM pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking for tuners on craigslist and came across a banks six gun. It just so happens it's the person that use to own the truck and its the tuner he had on it.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Sounds like it was a banks or edge, if they removed the box, the stock tune is on the truck since either of the two are flash programmers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts