Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was explaining to another salesman about how Late it was when I finally left the dealership when I bought my truck 6 weeks ago. I explained to him how my fuel tank was empty when we drove off the lot that night and he Asked if it had a final inspection before I left. I said I don't believe so since I test drove it and it stayed where I parked it until I left that night. Here's my question!

He "the salesman" told me to make sure the diff was filled up because they usually do not keep the diffs full of fluid due to it going "bad" by sitting on the dealer lot after a while. He was concerned because the fuel tank was also empty which it should not have been if the techs did a proper pre delivery inspection which includes filling the diff. I know there was no final inspection be cause I test drove it then bought it right then. It stayed parked at the same spot the whole time. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Doesnt hurt to check it. I dont trust dealer anyways

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should take a look. I'm a noob to diffs as well as diesels. Wife never let me put out the extra $$$ for the 4x4's before. Do I just pull the plug and stick something down in there to get a reading? Like a screw driver? I believe I've heard of people doing that before.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
If it is properly topped of then you will probably have a little bit of fluid run out of the fill plug when removed. Shine a flashlight in there, the fluid level should be even with the bottom of the fill plug hole. You've been driving it for 6 weeks...if it's low, the diff would have been trashed most likely on the test drive let alone 6 weeks later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely check it. Should I wait till it cools or just go for it? I just ran a few errands. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The salesman most likely meant def fluid not diff fluid. Diesel exhaust fluid... When I bought mine it was only about 20% full

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The salesman most likely meant def fluid not diff fluid. Diesel exhaust fluid... When I bought mine it was only about 20% full
You know something? I think you might be right. He definitely said Diff, but he probably did mean DEF. I think I've read that it (DEF fluid) can go bad after a while also. I think i also read that they don't fill them up until sold of something like that. When i purchased mine, they spilled it all over the passenger side of the engine bay and i had crystals all over the intake and battery. thats why i think it was filled up. Also, my heads up display says my DEF level is fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts