Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a previous owner of an 02 Duramax, sold it when I got into the ministry, big regret. A church member has an 05 quad cab with a long bed. Said he would give it to me but needs about $8k worth of work, basically a new/rebuilt motor and other work since it has sat for a couple years. Wondering your thoughts on if it’s worth it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Have you seen used truck prices lately? Especially for a pre dpf truck. I wouldn't hesitate for a second if everything outside of the motor is in decent shape.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What have you got to lose if the guy is giving it to you? If the engine is junk, $8k to fix it sounds a bit optimistic unless you just drop a good used motor in.

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
What have you got to lose if the guy is giving it to you? If the engine is junk, $8k to fix it sounds a bit optimistic unless you just drop a good used motor in.
This is what I would be inclined to do as well if the body is worth it. Drop a used motor in it and enjoy.

·
Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
23 Posts
Generally, I'd say yes, depending on what those "and some other things" are.
Does the current owner REALLY know how much work it needs? Not accusing him of anything, but has he gotten professional estimates or is he just spitballing?

$8,000 for a Duramax is a good deal, but if that's not a solid number then who knows...

·
Registered
264 Posts
A free truck?!?!?! just put it simple…. YESSSS, people have lost their minds on the used diesel market right now. Your friend might not like you right afterwards but you could take that an sell it in a heart beat, or get it rebuild like you said and have a truck that’ll be around for your grandkids, either way your not losing by getting a free diesel right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts