Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how i find out if my D.I.C. is Canadian mpg. or L/100 or U.S.mpg.or L/100

U.S.Gallon= 3.78 liters
Can. Gallon= 4.45 liters

·
Timeless Perfection!
796 Posts
I did not know that you guys had a different Gallon? I assume GM put english in for US and Metric for the rest of the world? again I assume.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It does give me that option...but metric is liters...& i don't know if it is U.S.gallon @ 3.78 liters per gallon or Can. [email protected] 4.45 liters per gallon

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it that no-one has posted this topic before...I'm not getting very many answers...not many people realize that there is a difference in U.S. & Canadian gallons....Some people probably shake their head when canadians post their mpg's & it is high , but dont forget our gallon is bigger

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If you scroll through the options using the same button that sets your lighting, locking, elevated idle... all that stuff, you should see a metric/english setting. I imagine if you select metric then you'll be set for everything. If you're not sure then just test it by hand calculating a couple tanks of fuel. If the mileage is really abnormal, then you'll have your answer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I believe that in Canada its in liters being 4.5456 liters to a gallon because the DIC says i used 117.6 liters and when i filed it up the pump sayed 114.9 liters. So to me that means the DIC is in Canadian liters.

But if you change the Metric to English on the DIC is is in US gallons which is smaller than our gallon.

That is why we get beter MPGs up here....:neener

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK...that answers the question...so it is in U.S. Gallons...thanks...

·
Registered
784 Posts
liters is/are liters----1000mL etc u.s. gal=3.78 L canadian (imperial) gallon = 4.54 liters
no such thing as a u.s. liter

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Canadians.... this means in Canada add 20% to your DIC mileage because our gallon is bigger...So if your DIC says 20mpg...you are getting 24mpg

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Anyone who is referencing and comparing miles per gallon is referring to the US Gallon. For example 99% of the folks on this forum are talking US Gallons (3.78 liters).

Nuff said. Don't over complicate life.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not trying to complicate life for you...just posting a fact...Thought people would like to know...If you read, it says to Canadians...Sorry for the inconvenience...Thought this was a general discussion forum

·
Timeless Perfection!
796 Posts
I actually learned something... I just assumed a Gallon was a Gallon, now I can stump my students.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I’ve re-read my post and I can see how I might have come across like a jerk. That wasn’t my intention.

I’m also Canadian, and I still don’t see why anyone would want to reference Imperial Gallons for any reason. The vast majority of references to fuel economy are Miles per (US) Gallon, and Litres per Hundred KM. Even in conversations with my friends and colleagues we always talk Miles per (US) gallon. Why? Because everything (99.99%) we read in print, and on-line, is published in Miles per (US) gallon.

I still think this only serves to muddy the waters.

You’re right this is an open forum and this is just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve re-read my post and I can see how I might have come across like a jerk. That wasn’t my intention.

I’m also Canadian, and I still don’t see why anyone would want to reference Imperial Gallons for any reason. The vast majority of references to fuel economy are Miles per (US) Gallon, and Litres per Hundred KM. Even in conversations with my friends and colleagues we always talk Miles per (US) gallon. Why? Because everything (99.99%) we read in print, and on-line, is published in Miles per (US) gallon.

Hey...No Prob...No harm done...I must of been Bitchy when i read your post...My appoligies as well for snapping back:drink

·
Registered
818 Posts

only because our media is primarily amercian based...

try doing business outside north amercia... also, if you notice car adds in canada, they use the imperial gallon and there are only a no countries left in the world that use the customary units(except for household use like canada with mpg), everyone has gone metric, even amercians doing international commerce have endorsed the metric system...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah we've been metric here forever & i still inches & feet etc...

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
... also, if you notice car adds in canada, they use the imperial gallon...
I've never noticed this but I would bet that the marketing department has more to do with this than anything because it allows companies to inflate their fuel economy numbers because they know that most people won't bother reading the fine print, and even if they do, no one will bother pulling out a calculator to convert the Imerial MPG to US MPG in order to cut through the marketing b.s.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've never noticed this but I would bet that the marketing department has more to do with this than anything because it allows companies to inflate their fuel economy numbers because they know that most people won't bother reading the fine print, and even if they do, no one will bother pulling out a calculator to convert the Imerial MPG to US MPG in order to cut through the marketing b.s.
exactly....they do anything to boost their claims...it does seem almost criminal that they would have a vehicle with a computer using a different gallon from the advertisments just to help claims, right away youll never come even close to matching claimed/idealistic mileage....

i think the official epa tech doc are in l/100kms though to avoid confusion....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Duramaximos and Quad750 are you guys in Canada??
If so where abouts are you??

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saskatchewan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts