Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 2500 HD rear axle and the 3500HD srw axle the same? I know that the suspension capacity ( 6200 #'s vs 7050#'s) is different due to the number of springs--But I'm wondering if there is any real difference between the axle design and construction between the two--I would guess not. It is my understanding that the drive trans are identical. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I assume you are speaking to the dmax years. They all use the AAM axle.

·
GMC..Professional Grade
3,962 Posts
The 3/4 and srw 1 tons have the same axle, and same springs. The 1 ton has an "add-a-leaf" on top of the normal spring pack. It has it's own contact ears riveted to the frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. That's what I thought. I've added air bags to my 3/4 ton --I'll see how they work--may add a helwig helper spring system at some point if the air bag system does not work out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know that in the 2012 HDs, the 2500 gasser came with 10.5 and the 3500 gasser came with 11.5. I compared them before I bought my 3500 gasser.
Dmax were 11.5 in both 2500 & 3500.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks. That's what I thought. I've added air bags to my 3/4 ton --I'll see how they work--may add a helwig helper spring system at some point if the air bag system does not work out.
You will be fine with the air bags. You will have the 2500 ride and the 3500 tow capacity. I have the bags and on board air and it is the tits!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
He never asked about strictly duramax, didn't want him to think a 2500 is the same as a 3500. Gas vs diesel.
You have a good point but it's duramax forum so that's usually what they are asking about.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Duramax has only been offered with the AAM 11.5 in a 3.73 ratio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts