Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2001 chevy silverado 2500HD, 4x4, 4 door extended cab, short bed, that has a duramax and an allison transmission with 200k miles. The truck has no rust at all, it's loaded and is in pretty much perfect condition and was a southern truck it's whole life.

A local chevrolet dealer has it for sale and is asking $9,000 but I got them to come down to $8,000. I saw the carfax and it has records of regular maintenance from 2001-2009. It was involved in an accident in 04 when the truck had 54k miles, however the accident did damage the frame but it was repaired.

On the carfax it shows nothing about the injectors ever being replaced and the dealer doesn't know anything about that. I test drove the truck and it runs great, everything works and it seems so have a lot of power.

The thing that scares me is that the truck books for $12,650 but the dealer will sell it to me for $8,000. I just don't get it. What are some things to look for and why do you think the dealer selling it so low? Do they know something about the truck that I don't? I know the LB7's have injector problems but this truck doesn't show any signs of needing new injectors.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If you are that concerned with the injectors (rightfully so) and they're confident they aren't hiding anything from you, then tell them before you buy it you want to bring it to your own dealer/mechanic to check the balance rates of the injectors and/or have them show them to you on their diagnostic machine. That's one of the best ways to take a look at the truth behind your injectors. As far as everything else it sounds like a good deal. have any pics you could post up?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would also try to get the frame checked out by a frame repair shop. I would guess that's why it's so cheap most people will walk away just hearing frame damage even if it's fixed right.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think the dealer would test the injectors and be truthful?

Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
depends on the dealer really, just tell them you want to look over their shoulder at the balance rates while they're doing it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if the injectors haven't been replaced in 200k miles they can go at any time huh?

What are some things I can check that I may have overlooked?

·
Registered
230 Posts
when the trucks in drive does it kind of surge or lope? if so might get the cp3 checked out
200k and the injectors are still stock, dang!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Correct. Seems like the 160-200 is the range for them that they usually die. There are cases of some lasting longer and some not making it to 100000. That's the downfall if a lb7. Sucks they have not fixed the problem. They updated some of the internals but are still unpredictable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
yea..mines at 122k and i pray every morning they stay strong haha.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure about the lope. I'll have to test drive it again and see.

Anything else I should check?

If the injectors do go bad, how hard it is to replace them myself?

·
Registered
230 Posts
its a challenge but save you a lot of money.
being 200k i bet the c1.2.3 clutches are starting to weaken pretty good. but shoot if you can snag if for a good price then save up money and start building it up.
mines starting to surge a little...my inj balance is perfect....guess gonna start saving up for dual cp3 kit:D

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
it should be a good weekend project for you if you are mechanically inclined. Also once you do it, go ahead and beef up your filtration system with an airdog II 165. The less that gets through the longer (potentially of course) they will last!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts