Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post. I have a stock 2005 2500hd crew, I really want to put big tires (like 285/75/r16)s on my stock rims. The reason I am going for bigger tires vs larger rims is because I do a lot of highway driving and love as much ride comfort as I can get.

Anyway, I am a little reluctant to just rotate my torsion bars because I plow with the truck in the winter, I am afraid the weight of the plow with do some serious damage to my ball joints. Should I go for one of those suspension upgrades nor-cal nick sells?

Thanks, Jess

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Cranking up the T-bars is done all the time for plows,the new (2011) trucks have settings for turning up for plowing.There are many threads here about tortion bars try a search.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I had a plow on mine when it was stock height. My 285 would rub horrible when the plow was raised torsion bars maxed out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I dont think the 285 is your problem thats width,its the 75 getting you.I have added Firestone/Bilstien Load Leveler air shocks to my frontend and love them.With those and 1k lb counter wieght behind the rear wheeles my stance is even (no nose dive at all) with a 1K lb plow on.These shocks can act as a leveling kit when empty and ride way better stock.But there not cheap.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I will let you know here soon as Im going to first try raising up the front with just the TB but keeping them in the green zone to fit some 285/70/17's on some H2 rims. I also got the Firestone level rite shocks going in to. So Im hoping everything will works out. :)

Should be in the week or two.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i bought some 285/75/16 and i dont think they will fit just from the way it sits and i have the cognito upper control arm leveling kit. ive had my truck tunred up 10 plus turns just for my plow to work so i dont think its going to happen but would really be jacked if it does.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dont think the 285 is your problem thats width,its the 75 getting you.I have added Firestone/Bilstien Load Leveler air shocks to my frontend and love them.With those and 1k lb counter wieght behind the rear wheeles my stance is even (no nose dive at all) with a 1K lb plow on.These shocks can act as a leveling kit when empty and ride way better stock.But there not cheap.
Did you have to use the shock extenders with these firestones?

I hope my 285's fit because they are already paid for and are sitting in my back shed. :p

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Did you have to use the shock extenders with these firestones?

I hope my 285's fit because they are already paid for and are sitting in my back shed. :p
No the the airbag is on top of the shock so no extenders are needed.I just took 3,220 lbs of roofing scrap tho the dump and aired up the shocks and lifted all that up 3"+ like nothing.Now I need airbags for the rear leafs.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I will let you know here soon as Im going to first try raising up the front with just the TB but keeping them in the green zone to fit some 285/70/17's on some H2 rims. I also got the Firestone level rite shocks going in to. So Im hoping everything will works out. :)

Should be in the week or two.
Looking to do the same thing with my H2's

·
Registered
461 Posts
No the the airbag is on top of the shock so no extenders are needed.I just took 3,220 lbs of roofing scrap tho the dump and aired up the shocks and lifted all that up 3"+ like nothing.Now I need airbags for the rear leafs.
Sorry for my post but your talking about the firestone level rites for the front end NOT needing shocks extenders right? Because your kind of throwing me off talking about throwing a bunch of stuff in the box. :)

thx

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looking to do the same thing with my H2's
Keep us posted on it all works out for you.

I just got my MA sleeves so I should be able to throw the tires on here soon.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ahh damn already have some. :( lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
285s ain't happening bra mine rub with out anything on the front and I'm a little outside the green zone.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have my torsion bars cranked and run 305 65 with very little rubbing some plastick triming. Cranking the bars makes it right rougher. But for plowing with a heavy snow plow I think it would be a good idea.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
my 285s barely fit witha lot of trimming but i have 16x8s

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I also put my new rims/tires on and played with the torsion bars yesterday. I was really worried about staying in the GREEN zone. :) Had no problems with raising my bars some, in fact my were so low that my bumper stops on the lower control arms were touching so I had lots of room to go up. Now I think my truck rides a lot better to. Go figure!

What I didnt like was I had also had to trim some mostly on the passenger side because for some strange reason its noticeably tighter between the tire and bumper there. I know the truck hit a deer and was repaired before I bought it so something could be out of line there.

All in all Im liking it so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts