Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DEF tank needs its first refill. So I went to Walmart to get the Peak brand Blue stuff I see advertised for about $12.75 for 2.5 gallons. I noticed on the self next to it the Walmart brand for $7.88 per 2.5 gallons. Same specifications on both and big difference in price.

Do any of you guys have a good reason to use the Peak DEF and NOT USE the Walmart DEF?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have a bulk filling station close to you? I just paid $14 to fill mine with 5 gallons. Plus it’s fresh versus sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a bulk filling station close to you? I just paid $14 to fill mine with 5 gallons. Plus it’s fresh versus sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

No, I do not know of a bulk filling station near me. I live in a very rural area. From the price you quoted, I will look for one.

Thanks for the response.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,295 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, but those truck stop fillers run so fast that my truck would blow def out all over the engine and me while I tried to fill up. The last time I had to run it so slow that it took 15 minutes to fill the tank and I still had it come out a few times. I’ll stick to the bottle. I am curious as to who makes the Walmart brand of def and if it is worth a darn. I use the Blue, but I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have used Tractor Supply store brand for a while with no issues. Now using Bucee's station for pumped DEF. Again, no issues.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Yeah, but those truck stop fillers run so fast that my truck would blow def out all over the engine and me while I tried to fill up. The last time I had to run it so slow that it took 15 minutes to fill the tank and I still had it come out a few times. I’ll stick to the bottle. I am curious as to who makes the Walmart brand of def and if it is worth a darn. I use the Blue, but I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks.
Flying J near me works great.

Just have to be sure that the nozzle is down into the smaller diameter part of the fill tube on the truck.
(I think when DEF first came out there were some pumps that had a nozzle to large to fit in the tube. There may still be -- if I found one of those I'd also either use jugs or find for another place with the updated nozzles)

Never spill a drop.

As long as it meets the ISO spec any jug brand should be fine.
I've never heard from anyone they have found DEF that doesn't meet the spec.

DEF has no additives. Just purified urea (32.5% N) and de-ionized water..

·
Premium Member
76 Posts

that sounds like a great idea.....but do they have a nozzle and slow enough pump to not make a complete mess as you fill ??

·
Registered
30 Posts
that sounds like a great idea.....but do they have a nozzle and slow enough pump to not make a complete mess as you fill ??

Yes, they have a pump handle and nozzle that fits perfectly in the fill up tube. I haven’t had any problems with def fluid spilling out due to the pump not shutting off automatically.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My DEF tank needs its first refill. So I went to Walmart to get the Peak brand Blue stuff I see advertised for about $12.75 for 2.5 gallons. I noticed on the self next to it the Walmart brand for $7.88 per 2.5 gallons. Same specifications on both and big difference in price.

Do any of you guys have a good reason to use the Peak DEF and NOT USE the Walmart DEF?
Been using Walmart DEF since I got the truck and haven't had any emissions issues. Truck just turned 50k last night and about 10k of them are towing miles (at ~19k GCW).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first fill was Walmart def and have since filled with another brand. No problems... same solution, generic seems fine by me....

·
Registered
995 Posts
just buy a brand name that likely from a place that has enough turnover its fresh and your fine, if you get bulk in a truck stop don't buy from a extreme low volume one ( same with diesel fuel) Def is Def , I have used mostly wal-mart for 18,000 in my new 19 except when I can I use bulk at about 1/2 the price

1 - 20 of 64 Posts