Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do you all just toss the unused portion?? I have yet to see an expiration date...
I always wait to add DEF until I can be confident of using up at least one 2.5 gallon container. I would not add a second container if there was any question about the tank being low enough to hold that much.

Some of the date codes are less than obvious and I have avoided those brands. If your curious, I found some You Tube videos that helped to interpret at least some. Here is one example:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since 2011 i have had 3 pickups, 1 suv and 2 dsl pusher motorhomes with more than a few hundred thousand miles between them and i have never had a def issue that was actually the def. 2 tank replacements on my 2011 GMC and a def heater on the suv. Probably 90% of the def that went through these was Walmart brand.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I do you all just toss the unused portion?? I have yet to see an expiration date...

My LML, at the 300 mile warning, wouldn't quite hold 2 jugs. (For many this wasn't an issue)

When I used jugs I'd wait til I'd run enough miles to make room and add the rest.

Eventually I decided this was a nuisance, and switched to just purchasing/adding one jug. Problem solved, even though it meant the top ups were more frequent.

(I still used the 1000 mile warning as indication that I should get a jug, 300 mile as a reminder to add it if I hadn't got around to it....)

Or use it for lawn fertilizer. Just don't put to much in one spot, or it will look like the neighbourhood dogs have been using you yard.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
"y'all are all whale killers, with discarded jugs near the wally bins (don't fit in the hole), that make their way out to sea and plug the blow holes." :laugh:

Bulk purchase Rules! :wink2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Def

I will not shop at Walmart so I cannot speak to their product BUT used the Loves and the O’Reilly Auto Parts brands that are much cheaper no issues so far.
WalMart is a large company and always demands lower prices from the companies they deal with due to their large volume sales. But it is also known that due to these demands companies who don't want to lose the volume of business they get from this company many will cut costs through reformulation and/or dilute their products so they don't lose money selling to such a large mover of goods. Walmart only cares about its bottom line and looks the other way to make more money.:surprise::|

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do y’all have lots of trouble using them? Seems around Texas they are trouble. One station had magical magnetic sleeve to go over nozzle and it worked much better. Dunno lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
231 Posts
WalMart is a large company and always demands lower prices from the companies they deal with due to their large volume sales. But it is also known that due to these demands companies who don't want to lose the volume of business they get from this company many will cut costs through reformulation and/or dilute their products so they don't lose money selling to such a large mover of goods. Walmart only cares about its bottom line and looks the other way to make more money.:surprise::|
Oh yes I understand that. I do not use them for political reasons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually use Blue DEF from Walmart at a cost around $12.47 for 2.5 gallons. I always check the code for freshness. At Costco recently found 2.5 gallon Blue Def for $9.95 and the manufacture code indicated it only a month old.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I usually use Blue DEF from Walmart at a cost around $12.47 for 2.5 gallons. I always check the code for freshness. At Costco recently found 2.5 gallon Blue Def for $9.95 and the manufacture code indicated it only a month old.
Blue Def Wally World. :thumb

·
Registered
25 Posts
How can you decode the numbers to know the date?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Stored DEF is good for at least a year. Worrying about age of a 2.5 gal. amount is kinda like sorting the fly crap outta the pepper-- just my 2 cts worth. How long you think it will be in your truck before you add to it? Most available info says if it has changed color its bad and if you want to store at 75 deg. then it will keep for about 2 years.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Wal-mat DEF is fine as long as its fresh. I like filling up the DEF at the truck pumps.
I tried to fill at the pump … nozzle fit in but only took 3/4 of a gallon … been awhile since I added from a jug .. idk whats up

41 - 60 of 64 Posts