Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My Nittos are approaching their end of life.

During my next tire purchase I am going to be Powder Coating the wheels and leaving my truck on stands in the driveway over a weekends span of time.

What brand is trusted, and would 6t stands (x4) cover supporting the load? I am lifted 6" so I think I would have to put something ( thinking - 3/4" ply cut for bases and stacked ) to make up the difference in height.

( I am rarely a harbor freight guy or buy ANYTHING Pittsburgh but for cost and the temporary nature of my project... I am tempted. thoughts? )

Thanks!

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
All of my stands are from HF....including lots of Pitts stuff.
The only thing that ever failed, was the roll pin holding the release handle (rusted from being outside for years).

Registered
FYI, most all Pittsburgh stuff is lifetime Warranty. (They had to keep up with Husky and Craftsman) HF also has a great return policy......Hopefully not needed.

Registered
x2 for the harbor freight stands. i had a 1500 i was building on hf stands for 7 months. this was about 6 years ago, still use those stands to this day.

Finally! Wheels on!
When my truck had the 12nch lift I used AC Delco 6t stands and built bases out of 3 stacks of 4x4s screwed together log cabin style. Worked great. And I think all the stands are made in Corona Virusville anyway. Just different names on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BOWTIE67

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the responses! I know it's probably a dumb thing to worry about.. but I just didn't want a stand to give out or fold under the load! I will swing by and compare the prices for both AC delco and Pitts.

Premium Member
I use HBF 6 ton stands, I have some 3 ton as well but for lifted stuff the 6ton work excellent. The current coupon expired last week but here's a good 20% off one just add to your phone and it will work.

Attachments

Reactions: tmcdrwww

Premium Member
Dont forget your free flashlight too. I have them all over my beer fridge, good through all of 2020.

Attachments

Reactions: tmcdrwww

Registered
My Nittos are approaching their end of life.

During my next tire purchase I am going to be Powder Coating the wheels and leaving my truck on stands in the driveway over a weekends span of time.

What brand is trusted, and would 6t stands (x4) cover supporting the load? I am lifted 6" so I think I would have to put something ( thinking - 3/4" ply cut for bases and stacked ) to make up the difference in height.

( I am rarely a harbor freight guy or buy ANYTHING Pittsburgh but for cost and the temporary nature of my project... I am tempted. thoughts? )

Thanks!

Its hard to make a jack stand do bad that its dangerous to use, so long as you pick it up and the welds dont look like they were done by a blind apprentice id feel safe with any brand sold in a store, or probably most of whats on amazon. while HF generally sells garbage, there jacks and jack stands are reasonable, and its not like your going to be actively working under the truck while its up in the air.

The truck weighs around 4 tons, so if you had 4 x 6 ton stands your way in the green on safety factor. You would likely be safe on 2 ton stands, but id go 4 or higher just for the peace of mind, its not like there significantly more expensive.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
My fav toy store...
while HF generally sells garbage,
I'd have to disagree. It's not Dollar General.....but it doesn't have Mac on their truck either. :howdy

Registered
My fav toy store...

I'd have to disagree. It's not Dollar General.....but it doesn't have Mac on their truck either. :howdy

There are some things at HF that are a good deal, and are worth buying. This includes things like jacks and jack stands, rolling tool boxes, some air tools and some general purpose stuff. I would never buy anything there that needs to hold an edge, or things that are prone to breaking like bits, most hand tools, most electric tools and the like. Some of there hand tools are ok, but just ok. Im not saying to run out to the snapon truck either, the stuff at home depot is largely a significant step up for a reasonably small increase in cost. However yes, for some things (including the jack stands being discussed) there is a time and place to shop HF.

Registered
Pittsburg sells some 16ton jackstands, you wouldnt need anything to make up for the extra height of your lift with those. Ive been using x2 of them and feel VERY safe being under my truck with those. Dont cheap out, spend the 200 bucks on 4 of those and youll be golden. Dont get anything less than them, dont stack them on plywood. jackstands can be cheap but if they fail they will cost you alot. dont cheap out.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-jack-stands-34924.html

Registered
Pittsburg sells some 16ton jackstands, you wouldnt need anything to make up for the extra height of your lift with those. Ive been using x2 of them and feel VERY safe being under my truck with those. Dont cheap out, spend the 200 bucks on 4 of those and youll be golden. Dont get anything less than them, dont stack them on plywood. jackstands can be cheap but if they fail they will cost you alot. dont cheap out.

I wanna add that ive been using them with my stock height 2500 silverado and i needed to lift the truck so the tires were about 6 inches off the ground just so i could fit it on the lowest setting on my jackstands. They are very tall which is why i would get these because you dont need to stack them with plywood like what you were saying.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
12-ton, not 16. I've got a set, they're too tall.

The 6-ton set handles 23"....there's always wood cribbing for long term too.

Registered

Im all for the go big or go home mentality but i dont see a structural difference between these and the 6 ton version on the site. The 12 ton version just seems to be slightly larger (about 3" x 3" at the base) and theres no mention of metal thickness. a single 6 ton stand would be structurally capable of holding the entire weight of the truck, so 4 of them would be quite safe to work under, the 12 ton is not needed and may be hard to use given the extra height you have to get under the truck. They also cost twice as much as the 6 tons. Were i leaving the truck up in the air for weeks or months, or if i was going to be under it i may shop around, but if hes only putting it up on blocks for the weekend to get the wheels coated, a set of 4-6 tons would be just fine, and totally safe to work under if needed. I would only go with the 12 tons if you needed to get the truck high off the ground.

One thing to note though, these stands do not appear to have any feet welded onto them to spread the load, so the edge of the legs will dig into whatever surface your on. On concrete thats probably fine, on dirt, grass, or even asphalt, they may sink into it to some degree which could cause failure of the stand. If you are on a soft surface you should put something hard under them to prevent this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 70', third driveway on the side of the house with very little ( to no ) pitch so it will be flat and on concrete.

Correct, I will only have the truck in the air over the weekend and usually ( unless for a tire rot ) I will never have all wheels off the ground ( or off ) simultaneously at one given time.

However,... I do have a 58' Apache that will be getting extensive work in the future so She will be in the air for months and I will be working all over it so the extra footprint sounds nice to have.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Wish I had concrete.
seems to be slightly larger
Pics are deceiving.
They are massively larger than the 6T, at every point. Easy to see why they're twice the price....lots of steel there.
I don't like movin' 'em around if I don't have to. I use 'em more for anchor points. :teehee

6T rated, is for the pair, not each stand.....still, overkill for a 4T truck.

Reactions: Work Truck Fanatic

Registered
I have a 70', third driveway on the side of the house with very little ( to no ) pitch so it will be flat and on concrete.

Correct, I will only have the truck in the air over the weekend and usually ( unless for a tire rot ) I will never have all wheels off the ground ( or off ) simultaneously at one given time.

However,... I do have a 58' Apache that will be getting extensive work in the future so She will be in the air for months and I will be working all over it so the extra footprint sounds nice to have.

You said your truck is 6 inches lifted, so much taller than my truck, and you have much bigger tires than I do. The 12tons are overkill as far as the weight goes, but they have a really good height, which you will want if you have big tires + a lift. If you got the much shorter 6 tons the weight would be fine, but you will have to stack them on blocks of wood, or concrete blocks, be safe, get the 12 ton jacks. They are cheap for the ease of mind you'll have.

Premium Member
Just got another set, all this talking about it made me want 2 sets.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts