Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just uprgraded form my 98 Chevy 1500 to a 04 GMC 2500hd crew cab short bed 4x4. Now I have some questions. Truck is fully loaded with 150k. It had the injectors replaced at 128k miles and is showing no signs of failure. I have some performance mods and maintenance questions now.

1. I have heard that you can use additives in your fuel to help keep the injector problem from occurring as quickly. What are these additives?

2. As far as fuel filters. What is the best advice for the LB7

3. I am looking to do exhaust and a chip. Have heard efi live is the best. What is the best setup for these trucks.

4. I am planning on uprgrading the plate in the transfer case to keep that from going? Anything else I should look into or upgrade?

Basically I am just looking at keeping this truck as reliable as possible while still getting the power and sound I want out of it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Air dog 2 is almost a must on lb7s. Great filtering and keep fuel to motor.
Efi Tuning is only way to go.
Cts is the way to go for gauges.
5 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
4 or 5" exhaust, depending on budget/ your wants. only difference is sound. 5 is a little deeper.

I would also suggest an airdog II 165 due to the increased filtration, if not that then at least a nicktane setup. as for additives i use stanadyne, as do a lot of other users here with great results. When it is not available i use diesel kleen. And usually run 2 stroke through my tank as well.

EFI live is definitely your best option as far as tuning goes. Look into the various options of EFI live and do not get scared away by the price of the v2 dsp5 setup, as a pretuned ecm with dsp2/5 will net you far greater results than a canned tuner at a very competitive price point.

there isn't anything we can do for our 5 speed transmissions other than get them built to hold more power. The general rule of thumb is 90hp over stock and you're going to start limping your transmission on your 4-5 and 5-4 shifts

·
Registered
381 Posts
4 or 5" exhaust, depending on budget/ your wants. only difference is sound. 5 is a little deeper.

I would also suggest an airdog II 165 due to the increased filtration, if not that then at least a nicktane setup. as for additives i use stanadyne, as do a lot of other users here with great results. When it is not available i use diesel kleen. And usually run 2 stroke through my tank as well.

EFI live is definitely your best option as far as tuning goes. Look into the various options of EFI live and do not get scared away by the price of the v2 dsp5 setup, as a pretuned ecm with dsp2/5 will net you far greater results than a canned tuner at a very competitive price point.

there isn't anything we can do for our 5 speed transmissions other than get them built to hold more power. The general rule of thumb is 90hp over stock and you're going to start limping your transmission on your 4-5 and 5-4 shifts
How much 2 stroke do you put in when you fill up?

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,874 Posts
Your best bet would be to install a lift pump with filtration of somekind, be it FASS or AIRDOG, and an exhaust on the truck first thing. As for a tuner, IMO it makes a difference what you're going to do with the truck. If its just a driver/tow rig, a canned tuner such as PPE, Superchip, or Edge could be used. EFILive is one that offers the ulitimate in tune-ability, it can be fine-tuned to make the most fuel efficiency and the most power for your truck while still keeping the rest of the driveline safe.
For the fuel additive, personally I use PowerService in every tank for both mine and my wife's truck. I use the gray bottle in the summer and the white bottle in the winter. Additives are good for the fuel system with the use of ULSD, which is very abrasive to the components of the fuel system

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought my LB7, well with a little help from the bank. Back in January and love it. It had 204k on it and now has 216k on it. The only thing I have done is the water pump, I think the temp difference from GA to CO made the seal bust so had a slow leak. I run Shell Rotella 15w-40 and change about every 3 to 4k along with the oil filter and fuel filter every 5k. I have been running WIX filters as well. And yeah I would definitely say EFI is the way to go, once I am able to spend some more cash I am getting it, I just have the edge for now and have heard good and bad things about it. In the fuel I use Diesel Kleen and the injectors have been fairly quiet and really no sign of hurting. Thanks to the site I have come a long way in learning about my truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
How much 2 stroke do you put in when you fill up?
I usually go with one oz per one gallon of fuel. However a lot of guys run 1 quart per fill up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts