Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. This is my first Duramax and so far I like it. I was wondering if someone could tell me all these abreviations like LLY LBZ and so forth. What is all this? Sorry to ask a dumb question but I am new and do not know all of this yet. Any help would be great so that I know more of what I am reading.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
:welcome to the forum and there is no such thing as a dump question..they have 4 different duramaxs since they were first designed and built in 2001..the best way to tell witch duramax you have is by looking at the vin #,if you count the 8th didgit from right to left if it is a,
1=LB7 used from 01 thru 04
2=LLY used from 04.5 thru 05
3=LLY used in 06
D=LBZ used from 06 thru 07
and for the new one i believe it is a 6=LMM used from 07.5 and is still in prodution..hope this helps you,and again welcome to the forum and if you have any questions feel free to ask and some one will:help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and I was wondering what type of programmer I should get? I want to increase the hp , and fuel millage, since I will be pulling a camper around the 10,000 # range. I do not want to hurt the stock transmission but do want to beef up the horses some. I bought this truck last Sat and it has 10,700 miles on it. Do I need to do anything to the transmission such as fluid change or anything else anywhere to help out the truck. I like to take care of my vehicles so I would like to here from someone about these Duramax engines and Allison transmissions.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For The Info And Could Anyone Tell Me What The Horse Power And Torque Is On A 2005?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I may be wrong, but IIRC an 05 is an LLY, and I think they were rated at 310HP, 605 for torque.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Thanks for the info and I was wondering what type of programmer I should get? I want to increase the hp , and fuel millage, since I will be pulling a camper around the 10,000 # range. I do not want to hurt the stock transmission but do want to beef up the horses some. I bought this truck last Sat and it has 10,700 miles on it. Do I need to do anything to the transmission such as fluid change or anything else anywhere to help out the truck. I like to take care of my vehicles so I would like to here from someone about these Duramax engines and Allison transmissions.
i would keep the oil changed every 5k to 8k miles along with the filter and if possible switch to fully synthectic oils(i run amsoil)and something else i would do right away i switch out the fuel filter and then keep it changed every 8k miles..the best of the self programmer avalible is the ppe but the hypertech is a good one along with the diablo but i would stay away from the banks stuff..
Thanks For The Info And Could Anyone Tell Me What The Horse Power And Torque Is On A 2005?
the 05 LLY dynos roughly around 220rwhp with 460rwtqr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts