Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for your responses. Hope I’m in right thread. Brand new too diesel world. I love it. Always chevys though

-So I have a 2018 with 96,000 miles on it 47,000 a year or so it’s mostly highway miles. I got a hold of the previous owner on LinkedIn. Not much towing, just traveling around oil fields and highways. so a lot of Highway speeds and driving in the dirt.
-I check the Carfax, and it has 18 service records on it. So the maintenance was taken care of very well. Normally never in my life when I buy a used car with more than like 30 40,000 miles on it. Where in tear the abuse on the vehicle is almost nonexistent on a scale of ninWhere in tear the abuse on the vehicle is almost nonexistent on a scale of 1-10 A 2018 with 96,000 miles it is an 8 1/2 out of 10 on a bad day eight but from a distance it’s a nine out of 10 the interior is a 10 out of 10 if that helps

what do y’all think I’m to expect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil field, nuf said. should have asked opinions before your purchase
That’s kind of a disappointing response.

Like I said it had 18 service records on it the oil was changed almost twice as much as it should have been not much towing and in the dirt the truck is 8 1/2 out of 10 on the exterior in a 10 out of 10 on the interior it would be trashed
Am I opinion so where are you coming up with enough said what does that mean what is it in your eyes it’s making it a bad it’s flawless the bed doesn’t even have a scratch on it so what is it I should be looking for

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you don’t get 47,000 miles a year from driving around in dirt you get it on freeways you know what I mean you got to take copies factors into account you think you get 47,000 miles you’re driving in the dirt no that doesn’t happen are you read was oil field. I’m happy to enterain THOUGHTFULL respnses. Not jut reactionary NUF SAID. it means nothing. Can u please explain

·
Registered
534 Posts
I work in the patch, friends work in the patch, oilfield beats the hell outta trucks, you don't want to hear any responses that don't say what you want to hear. Like I said should have asked before you bought it, little late now.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I personally would never buy a truck that was used in the oil fields. If you are happy with your purchase then so be it, don't come asking what do you all think then be disappointed with what someone thinks...

Hope you got a good deal, almost out of warranty... BTW, how many hours on the truck?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks in advance for your responses. Hope I’m in right thread. Brand new too diesel world. I love it. Always chevys though
BTW, you are in the wrong thread. This thread is for 2020's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work in the patch, friends work in the patch, oilfield beats the hell outta trucks, you don't want to hear any responses that don't say what you want to hear. Like I said should have asked before you bought it, little late now.
BTW, you are in the wrong thread. This thread is for 2020's
OK see that explains a lot more that explains a lot more no I do want to hear the response and nobody wants to hear a bad response of course not but I just wanted you to explain it that’s all I didn’t know what you were talking about so now I understand where you’re coming from him you know I’m going to contact the guy again to see exactly what kind of driving but his exact words were dirt roads and freeway I actually inserted oil field because I just assumed it wasn’t oilfield because he works for a oil survey company and I thought it was pure oil fields but it might not have them because maybe he was just serving stuff but yeah that doesn’t sound good for sure appreciate it man thanks for that I’m not being a dick but yeah I was a little pissedOff at myself you know so yeah I mean I wanna hear the truth you know and I don’t want it to be bad like anybody else thanks man I’ll try to find the right thread

·
Registered
71 Posts
First congrats on your truck. Second I'd have all the fluids and filters changed right away regardless of what maintenance records show. Third, check your steering and suspension components for wear. If it's as clean as you state it probably hasn't been worked hard. Probably lots of idle time. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
OK see that explains a lot more that explains a lot more no I do want to hear the response and nobody wants to hear a bad response of course not but I just wanted you to explain it that’s all I didn’t know what you were talking about so now I understand where you’re coming from him you know I’m going to contact the guy again to see exactly what kind of driving but his exact words were dirt roads and freeway I actually inserted oil field because I just assumed it wasn’t oilfield because he works for a oil survey company and I thought it was pure oil fields but it might not have them because maybe he was just serving stuff but yeah that doesn’t sound good for sure appreciate it man thanks for that I’m not being a dick but yeah I was a little pissedOff at myself you know so yeah I mean I wanna hear the truth you know and I don’t want it to be bad like anybody else thanks man I’ll try to find the right thread

That had to be the hardest post I have ever tried to read.

·
Registered
243 Posts
First off, welcome.

Secondly, post some pics so we see what you got!

Thirdly, if your numbers are true, it is presumably most highway. Check the sticker on driver door, may have been produced in 17 as an 18 model so can bring down your annual mileage a bit. Check your engine hour meter, divide your mileage by the hours. You can figure out the vehicle's "average speed" I believe GM states is 33mph as the sweet spot for not too much idle time.

Trucks in the oil field are workhorses. Many guys on here work out that way so can speak from experience. The general census of an oil field truck is jump in, drive 30mph through the suck regardless of how rutted out it is, jump back in it filthy after a day of hard work and back home. You would be able to tell if your new chariot was beat on, and presumably pass on it if the miles reflected the body, which you've explicitly said isnt the case.

You have a new truck, change all fluids and start fresh. Puts you at a personal baseline, not trusting the word from a dealer. Get your oil tested. New cabin filter and intake filter. Doesn't have to be done today, but get it done before the weather changes over.

The L5P has the DEF setup. The sensors tend to get a little sensitive. In your dash you'll see it says "def level OK" it'll always read OK until it hits 30%, then count down from there. Try not to let it go below 25 before topping off. DEF crystallize and can clog stuff so if you can keep fresh stuff and not let it hit bottom you should be ok. Additionally, if it runs low/dry you'll go in to limp mode, which im fairly confident you don't want to deal with

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
My 18 was build Oct 17, so it's nearing it's 3rd birthday.
As others indicated, it's possible the truck is running 32K per year.

As posted above, the easiest/quickest way I know to find it's birthday is the door sticker.
There are 2 of them.
On the bottom , outside of the door posteis a silver and black one. It has a QR code on it.
It also has the month/year it was built.

Pull out the maintenance schedule.
You can download the Owners manual and the Duramax supplement from GM's website if they weren't with the truck.

You can review the 'severe service' maintenance schedule in the duramax supplement.

I've run DEF to empty (intentionally).
When it decides it's empty it then starts a 500 mile countdown before it restricts it's speed to 65 mph.
Mine has never had any issues with the DEF system or the DPF system.

Reactions: Habbster73

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you found a good truck. I’m new here myself with a 2020. Love it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off, welcome.

Secondly, post some pics so we see what you got!

Thirdly, if your numbers are true, it is presumably most highway. Check the sticker on driver door, may have been produced in 17 as an 18 model so can bring down your annual mileage a bit. Check your engine hour meter, divide your mileage by the hours. You can figure out the vehicle's "average speed" I believe GM states is 33mph as the sweet spot for not too much idle time.

Trucks in the oil field are workhorses. Many guys on here work out that way so can speak from experience. The general census of an oil field truck is jump in, drive 30mph through the suck regardless of how rutted out it is, jump back in it filthy after a day of hard work and back home. You would be able to tell if your new chariot was beat on, and presumably pass on it if the miles reflected the body, which you've explicitly said isnt the case.

You have a new truck, change all fluids and start fresh. Puts you at a personal baseline, not trusting the word from a dealer. Get your oil tested. New cabin filter and intake filter. Doesn't have to be done today, but get it done before the weather changes over.

The L5P has the DEF setup. The sensors tend to get a little sensitive. In your dash you'll see it says "def level OK" it'll always read OK until it hits 30%, then count down from there. Try not to let it go below 25 before topping off. DEF crystallize and can clog stuff so if you can keep fresh stuff and not let it hit bottom you should be ok. Additionally, if it runs low/dry you'll go in to limp mode, which im fairly confident you don't want to deal with
It was produced in September 2018 so it’s like two years old on the nose. Thanks everybody for the replys. I’ll try to watch out for the spellcheck. I get a little lazy sometimes Yeah OK I’ll do that fluid thing for sure. And Check components. It is as clean as I say it is. If not more. But thanks 1 million everybody

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just some clean stock pics.

Attachments

Reactions: Srderb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll Try to find out where I can look for that wear and tear dress from Raymond’s point of you in my driveway or when I get my fluids changed I guess I could have them do it thanks for the heads up on that

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I personally would never buy a truck that was used in the oil fields. If you are happy with your purchase then so be it, don't come asking what do you all think then be disappointed with what someone thinks...

Hope you got a good deal, almost out of warranty... BTW, how many hours on the truck?
3,107 hours in total

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That’s not what I was doing at all not at all. Wow a bunch of geniuses in here with “oil field enough said“ if you don’t take in all the parts to the equation then, you can’t get a good opinion. I was looking for an honest answer not a quick easy condescending BS answer. Lots more to it. And having said that, it would also stand reason that I wouldn’t be butt hurt if somebody gave me an answer that I didn’t like. Just two shortsighted dimwits. Nuff said

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 18 was build Oct 17, so it's nearing it's 3rd birthday.
As others indicated, it's possible the truck is running 32K per year.

As posted above, the easiest/quickest way I know to find it's birthday is the door sticker.
There are 2 of them.
On the bottom , outside of the door posteis a silver and black one. It has a QR code on it.
It also has the month/year it was built.

Pull out the maintenance schedule.
You can download the Owners manual and the Duramax supplement from GM's website if they weren't with the truck.

You can review the 'severe service' maintenance schedule in the duramax supplement.

I've run DEF to empty (intentionally).
When it decides it's empty it then starts a 500 mile countdown before it restricts it's speed to 65 mph.
Mine has never had any issues with the DEF system or the DPF system.
thanks a lot for that informative and too the point post. Im reading the diesel supplement manual currently. That was real simple in layman’s terms. things I can do and take care of right away. Along with a little peace of mind. I did buy an extended warranty but it’s only for 36,000 miles so I guess kind of who cares on that? I still can cancel it. It it was expensive I don’t know what to do on that either because it’s just for 36,000. anyway thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That had to be the hardest post I have ever tried to read.
With a few spellcheck errors people Normally get the jist. Also, they read all the information and usually Can form an option on. n but people who can’t concentrate for more than 10 seconds usually have your problem. LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts