Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my fuel filter on my 02 duramax. Sometimes it will die right after I start it or it wont start at all. I have to open the hood and pump the fuel pump on the fuel filter housing to get it to start.

The bleeder screw is tight and there is no visible fuel leaks around the filter. What else should I do or look for?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
double check and make sure the o-ring is in it's place and make sure the fuel filter is tight. I had mine back off a couple of weeks ago. I had about 2000 miles of good driving before it just up and wouldn't start one day even after I had just drove to work and tried to start it about 2 hours later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Air in the fuel system could damage your injectors over the long term.

Step-by-step fuel filter installation instructions:
Important: Inspect the fuel heater element housing for contamination. Contamination on the fuel heater element housing may cause leakage at the fuel filter. Coat the fuel filter seal with clean engine oil.
Install the water-in-fuel sensor to the NEW fuel filter, and tighten 1/2 turn after the seal contacts the filter.

Install the NEW fuel filter to the fuel filter adapter, and tighten 1/4 turn after the seal contacts the filter adapter.

Connect the water-in-fuel sensor wiring pigtail (2) to the engine wiring harness electrical connector.

Prime the fuel system. Refer to Fuel System Priming Start the engine. If the engine stalls, repeat the above step.
Once the engine starts, inspect for fuel leaks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
make sure the old gasket iznt in wit the new gasket...make sure u only have 1 gasket otherwise if u have 2 gaskets u will suk air !!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not too long ago I had the same problem, except I could not start the truck at all. I ended-up pressurizing the fuel tank with my pancake compressor and a pop bottle to fit the fill-up port. I just changed my fuel filter, and had the same problem.

I took the priming pump apart, and saw that the soft spring and rubber gasket were worn. I need a new priming pump, or filter head I guess; if I could just find the worn parts, I could fix it.

Tomorrow I will try to start it by pressurizing the fuel tank again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts