Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tires showed up today from tread wright which are retreads for people that don't know. The wife called and asked if I bought new tires I had no idea what she was talkin about. So I got home and they're pretty much new castings! Ill let you guys know how they are. For $496 shipped to my door I couldn't turn it down. ImageUploadedByAG Free1363300332.723213.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Retreads before but I was short in cash and these seemed like a good deal!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
A friend of mine has a set on his Tacoma, he loves them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There were retreads on my truck when I bought it. They were like brand new and I hated every bit of them. They were squirmy in the corners, were impossible to balance and after driving it for a little bit a couple chunks of tread pulled off.

Its odd because I got full service records with the truck, it was clean inside and out. The fluids were all clean and fresh but it had retreads so I don't know. But I knew I would be pulling horse trailers long distances so I didn't trust them at all. That was the first 1000 I spent on the truck.

Bottom line is that I wouldnt ever trust a retread on a daily driven truck or trailer that I own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There were retreads on my truck when I bought it. They were like brand new and I hated every bit of them. They were squirmy in the corners, were impossible to balance and after driving it for a little bit a couple chunks of tread pulled off.

Its odd because I got full service records with the truck, it was clean inside and out. The fluids were all clean and fresh but it had retreads so I don't know. But I knew I would be pulling horse trailers long distances so I didn't trust them at all. That was the first 1000 I spent on the truck.

Bottom line is that I wouldnt ever trust a retread on a daily driven truck or trailer that I own.
do you happen to know a make and model of the retreads that came on your truck? I'd be curious if they were the same as these read wright's

·
Registered
498 Posts
do you happen to know a make and model of the retreads that came on your truck? I'd be curious if they were the same as these read wright's
I don't know who made them or what model they were but the tread pattern was similar to the ones in the photo. Also, the carcasses of the tires were 3 different type of tires, which I know is the case with retreads but i didnt like that either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sub

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Im just curious to knw how theyll hold up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just about jumped into a set last fall, but found some nice all terrains from falken that seems to be very nice. The price was right too, mounted and balanced for 700

·
Registered
516 Posts
I may jump on a set of aggressive treads for snow plowing only.Figure I'm not driving fast and only will be on at a day or two at a time.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Ever wonder why you see so many big rig tires shredded along the sides of the freeways??

Because they are retreads. I will never trust my life on a set of retreads. Ever. I wouldnt even consider at the slightest bit hooking a trailer up to the truck with a set of retreads.

Theres just some things you shouldnt skimp on. Tires are one of those. Good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Haters are going to hate but...

I have these tires on my truck... and i balanced them with DYNABEADS too, i must be crazy... they work fine:cookoo[1]:.

Also have run them also on a four runner. Three trips across country. lots of air-downed abuse off road. No problems.

90% of tire failures are because people to NOT KEEP THE PROPER PRESSURE!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea haters gonna hate!

If they were so bad then they wouldn't be on the market. I requested 4 of the same side walls and that's what I got. Btw they were at my door 48 hrs after ordering.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yea haters gonna hate!

If they were so bad then they wouldn't be on the market.
Exactly, they have been around a long time. Retreading technology has been around even longer.

Retreads are trusted in the trucks that keep America rolling, the planes we all fly on (trust me folks, aircraft tires see more abuse then our trucks will throw at them), even the school bus moving our young ones safely around.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
My uncle runs re-treads on all his vehicles.. zero problems so far.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts