Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just rolled over a million miles on my 11. The odometer does not roll over after 999,999. I have been wondering for a while if it would start back at 0 when I made it for a while. View attachment 1078622
What’s your maintenance routine look like (engine oil/ filters, transmission oil and filter change intervals, transfer case fluid change intervals, front and rear diffs....) and what repairs have you done?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What’s your maintenance routine look like (engine oil/ filters, transmission oil and filter change intervals, transfer case fluid change intervals, front and rear diffs....) and what repairs have you done?
most people will not believe me that I go between 25,000-30,000 on oil changes. I do send my oil to be sampled every other change and they tell me to go farther between changes. I figured 30,000 is far enough. I change the spin on transmission filter every 50,000. The rest of the fluids at 100,000.

All repair parts that I have put on this truck has came from the dealership.
as far as major repairs.

Everything on the front end but one wheel hub ran out of money. Lol at 325,000. Ended up being bad tires not front end parts. These parts are still on the truck now.
turbo around 400,000
Transfer case around 600,000
Front break pads at 625,000 cant believe they lasted that long
Head gasket around 700,000
New bearings in rear end about 850,000

Been a few other normal repairs water pump, power steering pump, several rear breaks slider pins get stuck. A few sets of shocks.

Think that’s about it.
Still have the original alternator and A/C compressor on the truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
most people will not believe me that I go between 25,000-30,000 on oil changes. I do send my oil to be sampled every other change and they tell me to go farther between changes. I figured 30,000 is far enough. I change the spin on transmission filter every 50,000. The rest of the fluids at 100,000.

All repair parts that I have put on this truck has came from the dealership.
as far as major repairs.

Everything on the front end but one wheel hub ran out of money. Lol at 325,000. Ended up being bad tires not front end parts. These parts are still on the truck now.
turbo around 400,000
Transfer case around 600,000
Front break pads at 625,000 cant believe they lasted that long
Head gasket around 700,000
New bearings in rear end about 850,000

Been a few other normal repairs water pump, power steering pump, several rear breaks slider pins get stuck. A few sets of shocks.

Think that’s about it.
Still have the original alternator and A/C compressor on the truck.
How many engine hours? Still on the original CP4? If so, that’s incredible. Have you followed the DIC for fuel filter changes, assuming you are running the OEM fuel setup? What brand of engine oil and filters? What do you use the truck for, how heavy are you usually loaded? Changing the oil every 30k miles while driving more than 100k miles per year is still 3 or more oil changes annually, keeping the oil and engine at operating temp makes the oil and engine both last longer and produces less wear than constant starting and stopping and a lot of thermal cycles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2011. I have had motor ops tunes for almost 600,000 miles. I deleted it when I had 197,000 on it. The truck just rolled over 800,000. I also still have the stock cp4 on the motor. Only problem I have had with the motor was a turbo at 425,000 and head gasket at 715,000. I pull campers across the us so over half of these miles are pulling a trailer. I tried fleece for the tunes to begin with. Spent 6 months trying to get it right. Had limp codes and very dirty tune had plenty of power when it worked. Called motor ops and never had a problem since. I got about a half mpg gain and the truck is a lot more fun to drive. If I do not have a trailer I do see about 1 mpg gain. I do think that some of the other tunes will have more power but they are stressing out the motor. I will take a little less if it is going to last for the long run.
The only thing I have done is change the fuel filter when the the DIC said to and added Lucas fuel treatment about once a month.
So far on my 11 I have 18,295 hrs and 911,944 miles. And avg of 49 mph and it does idle quite a bit.
Ball joints about 375,000. Did a turbo about 420,000. Transfer case about 650,000. Head gasket at 710,000. Water pump at 750,000. Rear end bearings at 850,000. Definitely can’t complain.
Still original injectors and cp4 pump. Even still have the original alternator and a/c compressor. I did delete the truck at 200k.
I use T6 oil and normally go about 20,000 to 22,000 between oil changes. I do oil analysis and I have 944,000 on mine. It is a 2011. They alway tell me that the oil is good and I can go longer between changes. I just sent off a sample with 29,000 on it and I am sure they will say that it is fine also. You can do a sample much cheaper than changing the oil. Of course the dealer ships and oil companies want you to change your oil at a set mileage instead of when it needs changed it means more money for them.
I have 944,000 on both of my wheel bearings. If one ever does go out I will be putting a stock one from the dealer back on it.
I run theT-6 and get Blackstone oil samples every other change. I am currently going 25,000 miles between changes and have over 975,000 miles on my 2011. Blackstone keeps telling me to go farther between changes. The most I have went was 27,000 and it was still good to go farther according to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many engine hours? Still on the original CP4? If so, that’s incredible. Have you followed the DIC for fuel filter changes, assuming you are running the OEM fuel setup? What brand of engine oil and filters? What do you use the truck for, how heavy are you usually loaded? Changing the oil every 30k miles while driving more than 100k miles per year is still 3 or more oil changes annually, keeping the oil and engine at operating temp makes the oil and engine both last longer and produces less wear than constant starting and stopping and a lot of thermal cycles.
still original cp4 and fuel injectors. Fuel filters changed when the dic says. Normally around 40,000 running the stock filter set up. I do add Lucas fuel treatment about once a month. I do have a extra 100 gallon tank. The engine hrs is at 19,888.3.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
This is cool! One heck of a truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if GM offer to give you a new truck for your million miler. Would you take it or keep what you have?
that would be a hard call to be honest. I don’t have any real complaints about the truck. I had a local sales guy tell me a yr ago that he would give me a hell of a deal of new one if I made it to a million. He would not tell me what a hell of a deal means.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Congrats! Quite an accomplishment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My question would be , I wonder how many DPF filters and emissions equipment you would of went through if you didn’t delete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My question would be , I wonder how many DPF filters and emissions equipment you would of went through if you didn’t delete

I guy where I work had a bit over 700,000 on his at the end of last year and said he never had any trouble out of it. I haven’t asked him about it since so not sure if he has had any trouble or not since then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guy where I work had a bit over 700,000 on his at the end of last year and said he never had any trouble out of it. I haven’t asked him about it since so not sure if he has had any trouble or not since then.
Oh wow . Interesting . Regardless , this is the most interesting post I’ve seen on here that interests me . Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
259 Posts
hope mine makes it to half that with no issues. it will be a" great day tater"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Long runs on the highway are perfect for diesel engine life. If is short trips where the engine is run cold much of the time that are tough on the motor oil and therefore the engine. It is why I do maintenance based on engine hours and not odometer miles.

There is a huge difference between 50,000 miles driven around town at an average speed of 40 mph or 1,250 hours, and driving 50,000 miles at an average speed of 60 mph on the highway with only 833 hours put on the engine. The driver making short trips is putting 50% more hours of wear and tear on the engine than the long trip driver. That is why trusting the DIC makes more sense than relying on the odometer for mainentenace scheduling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Long runs on the highway are perfect for diesel engine life. If is short trips where the engine is run cold much of the time that are tough on the motor oil and therefore the engine. It is why I do maintenance based on engine hours and not odometer miles.

There is a huge difference between 50,000 miles driven around town at an average speed of 40 mph or 1,250 hours, and driving 50,000 miles at an average speed of 60 mph on the highway with only 833 hours put on the engine. The driver making short trips is putting 50% more hours of wear and tear on the engine than the long trip driver. That is why trusting the DIC makes more sense than relying on the odometer for mainentenace scheduling.
I think I am going to have to switch to hrs. Since my odometer is stuck at 999,999. I though about trying to use the trip and log it. But that would be a pain to keep track of. But I do wonder how many miles I will rack up oN the truck before I am done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I am going to have to switch to hrs. Since my odometer is stuck at 999,999. I though about trying to use the trip and log it. But that would be a pain to keep track of. But I do wonder how many miles I will rack up oN the truck before I am done.
You’ve averaged about 50mph over the life of the truck. A 25,000 mile oil change at 50 mph is a 500 hour OCI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts