Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am officially a duramax owner! 2005 GMC 2500 duramax/allison!!! been on the forum for a week or two trying to learn, seems like a really great forum.

I noticed while driving the engine water temp with fluctuate between about 185-210 depending on the way I drive. It stays around the hash mark after 160 so about 185-190 most of the time, but if I get on it a little or climb a long hill it will rise and stay around 200-210 until my driving style slows down.

I never breaks the 1/2 way point on the gauge (210) so I dont think its a problem, but I am just curious because none of my gas trucks did this.

Thanks for the help! Oh and my turbo mouthpiece is on the way, I ordered it online last night.

·
Registered
686 Posts
haha was gonna say lbz turbo piece , yes they do move around on the temp ..

also get the egr blocker plate remove the cat and get the '''fingerstick to block codes if u have a cali emissions truck''' ...

then run a programmer and u will be set..

o ya do the pcv reroute to keep that oil out of the turbo lines...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on getting a MBRP 4" straight pipe very soon, and I have the turbo mouth piece on the way and my only question is where do I find the finger stick. I have looked around and I have not seen them online. I am sure I am searching the wrong places.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Found mine at www.kennedydiesel.com . Go for the full stainless on your exhaust if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time. as soon as I put my egr blocker in it set a code the finger stick took care of that. and welcome to the D-Max family.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sweet.. Congratulations on the truck. My LB7 never fluctuates like that. Could be a good time to change the stats and antifreeze. They say its good for 5yr 150k... :drink

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the truck is 5 yrs old, but only has 29k miles. Once it gets warmer out I will change the thermostat, coolant, tranny fluid, frt/rr diff and transfer case. Its still a little cold here in CT and my truck doesn't fit in my garage so if there is not a problem I will wait a month or so.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the warm welcome, I am pumped about the truck!! drove it about 50 miles tonight and I am already loving it!! I have about a 200mile trip to do tomorrow so it will be a good test of the cooling system and then I will decide if I need to do coolant and t-stat right away.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can run my harder then chit and it wont get over 210 and then goes down just like yours does..its almost like an egt gauge lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Congrats on the new truck man! :drink

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine does the same thing on the temp....185 up to just below 210 when running it harder, then back down when I get off it. I do not hear the clutch fan kicking in, , but when is it supposed to kick in? above 210?? just curious.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
i dont think it will get above 210? right? the thermostat wont let it? but can you get another stat put in say like a 180 or osmething like you can do woth a gasser?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Yep, mine does that too, normally runs 185-190 but will rise to 205-210 when I accelerate, even with the LBZ mp. It never goes above 210 even when towing, so I guess I'll have to find other stuff to worry about....:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
congrats on the new truck, now we need to see some pics!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your engine has two stats sitting next to each other. Two different temp ratings... one opens before the other. There likely aok with the low miles you have.
The first thing I would do is make sure the routine service is done. You already have the mouth piece coming... thats good too. Other alterations you need to think about. If you run a tuner you should also be adding gauges to monitor your exhaust gas temp and boost. I have a good friend with an 05 LLY and I have the LLY.... his is bone stock and gets 19 MPG and runs great... I played with mine and the motor is now on my engine stand getting major service... Just food for thought.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the response guys!!!! I drove about 200 miles yesterday from CT to New York city and back with a bunch of stops and city driving. I was loaded with a huge art display and a bunch of tools, maybe 900 lbs not too heavy. I got an overall mpg of 15.6 which I am very happy about! My old truck would have gotten like 11-12 that and I wasn't too easy on the duramax yesterday.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So quick question, is there a wait to start light like on the older fords...? I have looked on the dash and I don't see anything. I just wait 20-30 second with the ignition on before I crank the truck.

Am I missing something....? They didn't give me a manual with the car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Look for a round orange light on right side of instrument panel. When it goes out, you can start.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look for a round orange light on right side of instrument panel. When it goes out, you can start.
Is it always there or only when the truck is cold...?

·
Registered
687 Posts
thanks for all the response guys!!!! I drove about 200 miles yesterday from CT to New York city and back with a bunch of stops and city driving. I was loaded with a huge art display and a bunch of tools, maybe 900 lbs not too heavy. I got an overall mpg of 15.6 which I am very happy about! My old truck would have gotten like 11-12 that and I wasn't too easy on the duramax yesterday.
The turbo mouthpiece will help even more with the mpgs ( I gained between 1 and 2 mpg). As far as the temps go, my LLY stays right at 210. Never goes above that, even when towing. The fan clutch is thermal, but it's the temp in the engine compartment that controls it, not water temp, so it's unfair to use water temp to determine when it will come on. In colder weather, it will come on until the grease in the clutch warms up (this helps bring the engine temp up quicker and is affectionately known as "morning sickness" and is normal). Now that I have replaced the stock mouthpiece, the fan comes on for maybe 5 seconds or so every once in a while at operating temps. No more jet engine sounds from under the hood!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts