Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my FPR replaced after getting the P0088 code. As soon as I got in the truck to drive it away after paying the bill, it just did not sound right, still had a little cackling, almost like I had a cylinder tapping noise (like a Cummins). It made this noise prior to the FPR replacement which is why it went to the repair shop, in addition to the fact that it had no power.
So, I spoke to the mechanic, he checked the fuel pressure and it was good, oil pressure and temp were good so he said take it for a drive. It drove good except for the sound when idling and first taking off but it progressively got worse and after about 20 minutes the truck started falling on it's face again, just like the FPR had gone bad. The truck started idiling rougher and it smelled like buring oil. I checked the oil and it looked fine.

So, what now? I am supposed to be leaving on a trip with this truck in 2 days and I am right back at square one.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New update on the saga:
Mechanic/Tech just called and said that injector #5 is bad and staying open, so the good news is that this would explain why is was running badly even after having replaced the FPR, the bad news is that he stated that if 1 injector goes bad then others generally follow suit. So, my questions now are:
1) Could a bad injector cause the knocking/cackling noise I was hearing?
2) How likely is it that other injectors will soon follow in failure?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
New update on the saga:
Mechanic/Tech just called and said that injector #5 is bad and staying open, so the good news is that this would explain why is was running badly even after having replaced the FPR, the bad news is that he stated that if 1 injector goes bad then others generally follow suit. So, my questions now are:
1) Could a bad injector cause the knocking/cackling noise I was hearing?
2) How likely is it that other injectors will soon follow in failure?

Thanks in advance.
From what I have heard the injectors hardly ever go bad in an LBZ. Mine got noisy before but a couple tanks juiced with a high dose of fuel treatment cured the problem on mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I regularly run Stanadyne in the truck, so do I need something stronger to help with the injectors or should I just increase the amount I put into one tank and see what happens?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I am researcing the crap out of this issue and am getting mixed responses regarding whether or not I need to replace all 8 injectors or just the bad one? So, what is your take on this? I am 5 months out of warranty, so GM is not going to cover this but I drive all over with this truck, generally pulling something and really do not need to get stranded somewhere is another injector decides to go bad.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you suggest replacing all 8, what about using remanufactured instead of new?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Have a customer who still has LBZ with 575K+ on it. Had 1 injector go bad at 225K- changed it out has not had a problem with any of the others- FWIW

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
LBZs rarely have injector issues. I would replace the one and go on. The mechanic is probably lumping yours in with the LB7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts