Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we purchased a 2021 Denali 3500HD at the end of last year. Like the supermodel girlfriend, she is a stunner. Carbon Black Metallic. Spent 3 days doing initial detail and ceramic coating. Here's the problem, she may look great, but if she doesn't make for a good home life, then you gotta kick her to the curb. Another buddy of mine has one and more colorfully likened it to the "Crying Game" reveal.

What to like: Exterior is fantastic. Sharp looking truck. I didn't want the retractable running boards, but after having lived with them, the are great. They put the step further away from the truck making it easier to use and better split the distance to the ground. Loved the tech and cameras. 10 speed and L5P Gen 2 are wonderful.

What I didn't like. The hood is really tall so corner visibility kinda sucks.

Deal Killers:

Primarily cab ergonomics. I am 6' 2" ~200lbs. Tall but not crazy tall. I could never get the wheel down where I could rest a elbow on: 1. My leg 2. Left side arm rest 3. Center console. I could never get the wheel low enough and not block half the dash.

Seat Adjustment. GM removed 1/2 or more of the front seat pitch adjustment. If you adjust the seat up to the higher side, the front starts rolling off and there is no mid-thigh support.

Seat Comfort. Feels like they took the springs out of the seat and just put a hunk of hard foam there.

Ride: What a Bouncy SOB! I think in order to meet the ever-growing towing capacity wars, GM upped the spring rate to the point that empty or even towing my 4500lb trailer, it bounced down the road like a Spaulding basket ball.

This isn't to bag on anyone else that loves their 2020/2021. We're picky with my hip issues and my wife's back, we can't take the pounding that we did 20 years ago.
This is however, to bag on usual crap management at GM. They spend all this money and time to build brand loyalty, then piss it away by letting the cost accountants go after the very things that build the brand. The Denali interior is indistinguishable from the LTZ interior. The seats and comfort are downgrades from the 2019, all the while continuing to drive prices into the stratosphere.

They build these brands so that people like us just go get the new model without cross-shopping the competition. If you're happy, why leave? Not this time. We're going to keep the 2019 for a while and start doing our homework looking at the Dodge and Ford. GMC needs to earn our business on merit next time.

Anyway, we got this 2019 with 36k miles and an extended bumper-to-bumper and power train warranty from the previous owner. Driving home it was so much tighter than our 2011 and so much smoother than the 2021. Hopefully for the next refresh, GM can get their $hit together.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4X4 CCSB / 6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000 / S&B Mouthpiece / 4" MBRP
139 Posts
I've been telling 2020/21 prospective buyers to hold off until the refreshed interior comes along and have been met with some criticism from folks here about that. Why spend $70k on a truck that's going to be outdated in two years? GM rushed these trucks to market and it's obvious. Glad you're happy with your new ride!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you made the right call...

I had the choice when I picked up my truck to either get a NEW 2019 2500 Short bed, or the 2020 3500 Longbed. Ultimately I wanted the long bed, and the 10 speed.

There is not a day that goes by where I don't miss the cab ergonomics of my 2015 LML Dually. The seats felt great, the steering wheel adjustment was perfect, the adjustable pedals were nice. I feel like GM made the choice to cheap out on the interior to spend all that cash on making the front end look 'menacing' and get the tow ratings where they are. I had the High Country with the brown leather and loved it. My wife and I looked at a new 2020 High Country and we both couldn't believe they got rid of the nice brown leather. It had the black leather just like the other trim levels.

I can say this honestly, of every truck I've ever owned, I like this one the least. The blind spots are horrible, the famous 'dead pedal' has almost killed me a few times - and I feel it's worse in the 10 speed than previous year GM trucks. If you even think about hitting the go pedal before coming to a full stop, good luck! The fit and finish of the cab materials is crap. My wife complains on every trip how her seat is so uncomfortable, because - if you're like me and get the LT trim truck, the passenger seat has only basic adjustments (slide forward/back and incline) I miss the Bose system I had on my dually, the speakers in the LT truck are garbage. The radio has been replaced already, and now it takes 10-15 minutes to come back on after restarting the truck. The paint scratches easily. The power release tailgate takes 3-4 tries to get to work every time.

I would never bag on someone else's stuff, so please don't anyone take offense to my opinion on these generation trucks. I've started parking the thing in my lower field so I don't have to look at it when I have my morning coffee. When I do park it in the driveway, I always back it in so I don't have to look at that face only a mother could love. I answer truthfully on every survey GM sends me (including the one I got that asked questions like "How much do you like the new and improved front grill?" ) Like, come on GM, really ? It sucks. And the longer I look at it the more I realize there must be some greater purpose to all this nonsense - "No seriously Bob, I guarantee you we will sell more trucks the uglier we make the front end! The Family Truckster would've sold like CRAZY if management would've let me build it!"

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well glad you are happy! You could not run fast enough to Give me a 19 model. Would not last two trips to the ranch (def tank) not to mention less mpg's because of the tranny.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I get what you’re saying about the ride and the seats. I don’t blame you. I’d like to go back to a really low mile lml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
I haven't driven a 19 but love my 20. The ride is way better than my 18 Dodge Ram. I test drove a Ford, not as good of a ride IMO, but the seats are awesome. Also my ram didn't have the air bags on the back. The interior is the biggest flaw IMO. I love the transmission, engine response, and the tech features, like auto parking brake, very HD cameras. and responsive touch screen. I might try Ford next, but I think I'll keep this one awhile. Just some input, but everybody has different opinions. You would probably love the Ford seats, they will probably do a refresh for 2022 or 2023.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
115 Posts
Uhmm ...just sold my 19 today as my 21 is inbound.

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500 LT SRW Crew cab Duramax
31 Posts
I can't comment on the 2019 vs. 2020, but I love my 2020 compared to my 2004.5Dodge Ram. Going from 325/600 to 445/910 is smile inducing. And to go from 3+OD to 10 speeds is life changing. I don't notice a significant difference in ride quality. Maybe there are bigger differences with a dually. I do agree that the hood corners (which my Ram didn't have) really block front visibility. And, this truck is SO BIG compared to my old one - taller, longer and heavier. For me, I'd love it to be 3-4 inches shorter with a wheelbase that doesn't take a football stadium to navigate a U turn. My biggest concern going forward are the emissions issues that many are reporting. This was something I really didn't have to deal with on my 3rd gen Ram.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
when you have IFS front it will always ride better than any solid axle!

·
Registered
2019 Silverado CCSB LTZ 4x4
52 Posts
I debated getting a 20’ and ended up getting a 19’. Do not regret one bit, a buddy has a 21’ and I am just not crazy about them. I agree with the gm went cheap on the interior comment feel like the 19s are better quality. I know a lot of people are happy with their 20/21 and that’s great but just not for me. MAYBE after a mid cycle refresh....

·
Registered
347 Posts
I’m starting to get cold feet on my 21 CCSB High Country I have coming. I finally found a mechanic that got my LBZ issues sorted. I’ve been dragging my toyhauler around in the mountains testing today. Best its driven in 3 years.

Reactions: dirtymainer

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a 2019 Denali 3500, traded it in on the 2020 Denali 3500 I have now. 10 spd transmission is better IMO and smoother, 2020 regens are non existent vs the increased idle and smell from the 2019, 2020 rides smoother but has about the same steering as the 2019 did, mileage unloaded in the 2020 is worlds better at around 21mpg vs 18mpg in the 2019, towing wise the 2020 is night and day difference more stability and better technology, 2020 front seats were initially a PITA but after breakin dont even notice them 2019 seats were very similar in that regard. I never thought I would want or need a heads up display, but let me tell ya its a game changer in a big ass truck.

Now... the 2020 aint perfect, my 2020 has been in the dealership for more issues than any other truck I have ever owned. None of which have been major or left me stranded so far, but its a pile of little things that come down to build quality and part quality. I've had enough issues that I've been debating trading early, but reallllly dont want to take that hit. The way I see it, every brand has their issues but GMC up until this 2020 I bought has been ahead in quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had enough issues that I've been debating trading early, but reallllly dont want to take that hit.
Trade to what though?

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali Crew Cab Z71
24 Posts
A year ago, I was looking hard at the 2020 GMC 2500. Drove one and really didn't like it much at the time. Now, the more of the new body style I see, the more I don't like it. It's massive and that's ok, but it just looks plain to me. Ultimately, I found a low mileage '19 Denali that was almost perfect. Took me a while to get used to it, coming from an '09, but it's been a great truck. I am happy that I decided to go with the '19 and not the'20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The increase cab room in the 2020+ is enough to keep me out of the pre-2020 trucks for family hauling/5er towing. I had a 2015 LML and it was nice. However, once I tried the 2017+ Super Duty, I knew a larger interior was needed. I been real happy with my 2020 High Country and 2021 Denali. Only issue on the HC was the leaking rear glass. They both drive well and rode well. No complaints with either, honestly.

·
Registered
2021 AT4 Duramax
8 Posts
So we purchased a 2021 Denali 3500HD at the end of last year. Like the supermodel girlfriend, she is a stunner. Carbon Black Metallic. Spent 3 days doing initial detail and ceramic coating. Here's the problem, she may look great, but if she doesn't make for a good home life, then you gotta kick her to the curb. Another buddy of mine has one and more colorfully likened it to the "Crying Game" reveal.

What to like: Exterior is fantastic. Sharp looking truck. I didn't want the retractable running boards, but after having lived with them, the are great. They put the step further away from the truck making it easier to use and better split the distance to the ground. Loved the tech and cameras. 10 speed and L5P Gen 2 are wonderful.

What I didn't like. The hood is really tall so corner visibility kinda sucks.

View attachment 1086210

Deal Killers:

Primarily cab ergonomics. I am 6' 2" ~200lbs. Tall but not crazy tall. I could never get the wheel down where I could rest a elbow on: 1. My leg 2. Left side arm rest 3. Center console. I could never get the wheel low enough and not block half the dash.

Seat Adjustment. GM removed 1/2 or more of the front seat pitch adjustment. If you adjust the seat up to the higher side, the front starts rolling off and there is no mid-thigh support.

Seat Comfort. Feels like they took the springs out of the seat and just put a hunk of hard foam there.

Ride: What a Bouncy SOB! I think in order to meet the ever-growing towing capacity wars, GM upped the spring rate to the point that empty or even towing my 4500lb trailer, it bounced down the road like a Spaulding basket ball.

This isn't to bag on anyone else that loves their 2020/2021. We're picky with my hip issues and my wife's back, we can't take the pounding that we did 20 years ago.
This is however, to bag on usual crap management at GM. They spend all this money and time to build brand loyalty, then piss it away by letting the cost accountants go after the very things that build the brand. The Denali interior is indistinguishable from the LTZ interior. The seats and comfort are downgrades from the 2019, all the while continuing to drive prices into the stratosphere.

They build these brands so that people like us just go get the new model without cross-shopping the competition. If you're happy, why leave? Not this time. We're going to keep the 2019 for a while and start doing our homework looking at the Dodge and Ford. GMC needs to earn our business on merit next time.

Anyway, we got this 2019 with 36k miles and an extended bumper-to-bumper and power train warranty from the previous owner. Driving home it was so much tighter than our 2011 and so much smoother than the 2021. Hopefully for the next refresh, GM can get their $hit together.

View attachment 1086211
I just bought a 1500 AT4 Diesel. While this was a huge upgrade from my 2005 Z71 SLT my biggest gripe is the seats! I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s like sitting on a park bench comfort wise. My old girl which I still have is just as comfortable as the day I bought her. If it weren’t for the rust and nagging issues that I’m starting to have I would have never considered buying a new one. No regrets with the 2021 but it’s like all vehicles these days... have you sat in a new Buick or Caddy? It’s the same story there with comfort and they are “luxury” cars.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,975 Posts
It took three months and 11k miles for my seat to finally break in. I am 6-3 and 250

·
Registered
8 Posts
It took three months and 11k miles for my seat to finally break in. I am 6-3 and 250
Glad to hear that. Im hoping my seats will be more comfortable once they break in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trade to what though?
That's the million dollar question, I've owned all three brands. My issues have all been not major so far, never been stranded thus far and that's probably why it hasn't been traded. When reliability becomes a problem, thats when things change quickly.

Reactions: LARGEONE
1 - 20 of 37 Posts