Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
That's the million dollar question, I've owned all three brands. My issues have all been not major so far, never been stranded thus far and that's probably why it hasn't been traded. When reliability becomes a problem, thats when things change quickly.
Yes reliability is an issue that is why I traded my 18 Platinum F250 for the 2020 GMC. Kept losing injectors (twice and the third time traded it because it was intermittent did not throw codes and after turning off for a few minutes it would stop for awhile Most of the time) and running like a cob in the middle of nowhere, water pump, trans case seal and the software for the "Sync" kept causing my display that controlled the radio to climate control to freeze.

Before that traded my 2016 2500 Cummins only had about 85k because of stretched head bolts let oil and coolant mix. After the repair almost 6k that FCA paid for I traded it. I just have had a run of bad luck except this current one (def reading issue fixed) so far knock on wood...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just curious if those saying the seats are uncomfortable are bigger guys? I am as well (6'1 295lbs). I'm in a '19 F250 now with no issues other than I burn the miles fast on these trucks. I test drove a '21 and while it was ok, the seat felt hard, it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my '17 2500, just a bigger cab and felt a lot less supportive around the seats compared to the previous version. My biggest concern was could I handle being in that truck for a 4+ hour road trip. The Ford is fine, I've had no issues just looking to potentially change brands again. I like the Ram but not ok with the payload and towing capacity of their 2500's. I'd like to buy another GMC, just hung on if I'm going to be miserable from a comfort standpoint on road trips.

·
Registered
2021 AT4 Duramax
8 Posts
I’m 5’7” and 175lbs and the difference from my 16 year old Sierra truck to this brand new 2021 is night and day. The old truck has lateral support, lots of cushion and feels like you’re sitting in it. This is even after 245k on the clock the new one feels to me like you’re sitting on it more like a bench.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder if the cushions just need to break in a bit?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m not having any comfort issues with my 21. I read a lot of complaints but it fits my ass quite nicely. Last truck was a 2014 F 150 and it was quite comfortable. New GMC is as good or better in comfort dept.

6’1” 175 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sold my '19 Ram 3500 Limited and bought a 2021 DMC Sierra 3500 Denali a month ago. I am not having any issues with comfort or have had any problems with the truck in general. I, too, am a rather large guy (6'4', 255 lbs) and I have zero problems with the driver's seat positioning or comfortability. I programmed in the setting that provided me with a good driving experience and saved it as memory 1. To each his own...I guess.

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,048 Posts
recently traded my 2018 3500 CCLB Dually in for a 2021 CCLB 2500 - also had a 2011 2500 CCLB and a 2004 LB7

all tow my campers, boats and trailers and all are also my Daily driver

I loved My 2011 LML - but I did a project to it and put a lot of money in it
2018 dually was a good truck - very comfortable interior - was a decent ride for a 1 ton dually
2021 - I like that the truck sits higher (I know some do not) reminds me more of my lifted LML for stance and style - I like it - front end i hated when they came out ....but they have grown on me....front Seats definitely do not have the adjustment and comfort of my 2018 .....that said 1700 miles into it - either they are starting to break in some or my fat ass is adjusting.....i put the Pulsar on it last week and that has woken the truck up and the throttle adjustment helps with the dead pedal - i would think on of the tuners pedal adjustment modules is a must after having it ...... the lag/dead pedal was my only real hard complaint so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ride: What a Bouncy SOB! I think in order to meet the ever-growing towing capacity wars, GM upped the spring rate to the point that empty or even towing my 4500lb trailer, it bounced down the road like a Spaulding basket ball.
Did you really mean to type 4500lb? Not 45000lb?
I lost my 2008 F350 DRW and decided to replace with a 2021 3500 SRW. Typically my race trailer with car and fully loaded will tip the scales at less than 16000 lbs and since this is now well within the towing capacity of a SRW, I switched it up. Couldn’t be happier. DRW without a heavy trailer never felt comfortable to me. Anyway, food for thought when you scope out your next truck is maybe a SRW will meet your needs and could be more enjoyable overall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So we purchased a 2021 Denali 3500HD at the end of last year. Like the supermodel girlfriend, she is a stunner. Carbon Black Metallic. Spent 3 days doing initial detail and ceramic coating. Here's the problem, she may look great, but if she doesn't make for a good home life, then you gotta kick her to the curb. Another buddy of mine has one and more colorfully likened it to the "Crying Game" reveal.

What to like: Exterior is fantastic. Sharp looking truck. I didn't want the retractable running boards, but after having lived with them, the are great. They put the step further away from the truck making it easier to use and better split the distance to the ground. Loved the tech and cameras. 10 speed and L5P Gen 2 are wonderful.

What I didn't like. The hood is really tall so corner visibility kinda sucks.

View attachment 1086210

Deal Killers:

Primarily cab ergonomics. I am 6' 2" ~200lbs. Tall but not crazy tall. I could never get the wheel down where I could rest a elbow on: 1. My leg 2. Left side arm rest 3. Center console. I could never get the wheel low enough and not block half the dash.

Seat Adjustment. GM removed 1/2 or more of the front seat pitch adjustment. If you adjust the seat up to the higher side, the front starts rolling off and there is no mid-thigh support.

Seat Comfort. Feels like they took the springs out of the seat and just put a hunk of hard foam there.

Ride: What a Bouncy SOB! I think in order to meet the ever-growing towing capacity wars, GM upped the spring rate to the point that empty or even towing my 4500lb trailer, it bounced down the road like a Spaulding basket ball.

This isn't to bag on anyone else that loves their 2020/2021. We're picky with my hip issues and my wife's back, we can't take the pounding that we did 20 years ago.
This is however, to bag on usual crap management at GM. They spend all this money and time to build brand loyalty, then piss it away by letting the cost accountants go after the very things that build the brand. The Denali interior is indistinguishable from the LTZ interior. The seats and comfort are downgrades from the 2019, all the while continuing to drive prices into the stratosphere.

They build these brands so that people like us just go get the new model without cross-shopping the competition. If you're happy, why leave? Not this time. We're going to keep the 2019 for a while and start doing our homework looking at the Dodge and Ford. GMC needs to earn our business on merit next time.

Anyway, we got this 2019 with 36k miles and an extended bumper-to-bumper and power train warranty from the previous owner. Driving home it was so much tighter than our 2011 and so much smoother than the 2021. Hopefully for the next refresh, GM can get their $hit together.

View attachment 1086211
I love my 2007 Classic LBZ. 20200 miles and counting. No DEF just great power without all the new emissions crap. A week doesn’t go by that I’m not being asked if it’s for sale.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can't imagine going backwards once you've had a T1. This truck is so much more than my 08 that I'm amazed every time I drive it. The power and the smoothness along with the camera system is jaw dropping. I'm 6' even and weigh 185 lbs. I find the heated and cooled seats pretty darned good and my wife would shoot me if I said she'd have to give either feature up. I would agree that a heavy person would probably find the seats a little small but I've noticed that in the competition as well. I tow and I have the transparent camera system on my trailer. Some say cameras aren't necessary but once you've had it - you'd dispute that claim. Knowing what's behind you when towing and being able to see when backing is a game changer. To each his own but I'm keeping the 2020 LTZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the 2021 GMC Dually Denali 4x4 and I love it, I upgraded from a 2006 2500hd 4x4 Diesel which I loved and put over 300,000 miles on her, the new one is Huge and the power! WOW, I’m glad I didn’t have a 2019 so I don’t regret my 2021, I hope this truck gives me all the years of worry free driving and towing that my 2006 had. I personally think GM knocked it out of the park on this truck, I guess it shows that I love it!!

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT-4 Carbon Pro
23 Posts
I don't have an HD, but I find my 1/2 ton AT4 to be pretty comfortable. I'm not small but not tall, 5'-7", 200#. Yes you do sit "on" the seats as opposed to sitting "in" them, but I still find them comfortable. For a frame of reference I previously drove an Audi S4, talk about sweet seats.

As far as no DEF, etc. I've got a P-Pumped 12V that I keep for heavy lifting. The long bed is nice for plywood/drywall, dump runs & firewood. But while it was imo the best in its day, you couldn't pay me to go back to driving it as a primary vehicle. I'll keep the 12V but love the 21' GMC.

FWIW

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm in a 2018, but I do believe that my previous LML and LMMs were more comfortable, but the most comfortable truck I have driven was my first- 1999 Silverado. GMT-800. Regular seats, not leather.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali Crew Cab Z71
19 Posts
I'm in a 2018, but I do believe that my previous LML and LMMs were more comfortable, but the most comfortable truck I have driven was my first- 1999 Silverado. GMT-800. Regular seats, not leather.
I do have to agree with you here. My old '09 was much more comfortable to sit and ride in than my '19. I am slowly getting used to it, as it is growing on me, but I still miss the sit and ride of the old truck. Like I said earlier, I only drove a '20 one time for about an hour and I didn't care much for it. Now that I think about it, I said the same thing several years ago when I put my LMM in the shop and had to drive a later model GM loaner for a few days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It’s funny how opinions can differ so greatly. I came from a ‘15 LML that didn’t have a single problem in 100k miles. As much as I loved that tuck, I think my 2020 is better in every way. Interior is better and more refined, like the extra space in the bed, stock stance is way better, steering is much better, way better headlights, 10 speed, tailgate, def fill location, fuel filter location, cameras and towing tech, more power and better mileage, ride quality is better on the 3500 compared to my old 2500. About the only thing I miss is the look/style of the tow mirrors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going from a 2015 1500 Denali 6.2 eight speed with magnaride shocks to a 2020 2500 duramax I am so happy I keep pinching myself to make sure I’m not dreaming.love the ride! Paid cash, no regrets!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is why I chose the 2020 GMC Denali...most of these are what separate it from the previous generation and other brands of trucks.

HUD(incredibly useful especially in a big truck)
Side bed steps(incredibly useful for getting into toolboxes or to lock in gooseneck/fifth wheel hitch)
10spd(smoothness and mileage)
Multipro tailgate(suprisingly useful in ways you dont think of)
LED lights inside and out
Cab size(rear cab is much improved)
Keyless entry(need I say more?... took GM long enough on HD trucks)
Towing/Payload Capacities
DEF Fill Location
DEF Tank no longer an issue
Updated L5P(banks power has a good video on the 2020 changes, all of which are good)
Drives and rides better than most other brands
Front Park Sensors with Front Camera activation(best thing since sliced bread)
Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

21 - 37 of 37 Posts