Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just started smoking at idle.

I have a 01 duramax that has been great but recentely it is smoking a great deal at idle.Now I have the EDGE JUICE with attitude monitor and it has been on for about 2 1/2 years .The truck isn't burning any oil and sounds normal.Only smokes at idle,when you really jump on it it's still performs the same and runs very well. Anybody got a clue what's wrong? Thanks for any help. Bigblock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
04 LLY Duramax smoking at idle

I have an 04 lly duramax with Edge with Attitude. It just started smoking at an idle too. I don't know why. My truck has only 14,000 miles on it! It performs fine when I'm driving but when I stop white smoke pours out of the exhaust. If I set my Edge at stock it doesn't smoke any more. I think that there is a defect with my Edge but I'm not sure. But right now I'm not too happy with my Edge!

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is only one way to gain power, that is to add more fuel. If everything that is affected by adding more fuel is proportionally adjusted, smoking is kept to a minimum. For instance, a stock Duramax operating correctly, does not emit hardly any smoke, even under a hard pull. This is because the computer keeps everything in sync. Add a computer to modify power output (edge) and it must increase fuel pressure, lengthen the fueling cycle, and try to keep all other engine requirements in proportion, a formidable task if you think about it. White smoke at idle is unburned fuel, black smoke under heavy load is partially burned excess fuel that the engine cannot utilize. An example is the billowing clouds of dense black smoke exhausted from an unlimited diesel engine in competition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '02 with LB7. I have a GMS Diablo Predator set at 65hp (economy performance) normally but go to 40 hp for towing. Had it on there since spring of '04. Lately, soon after start up I can drive down the street a ways and stop at a light and then notice light blue smoke coming from my exhaust. After driving a little further it quits. The oil level stays the same. It has only done this a few times. The engine has never over heated and I change the oil and filters according to schedule. I did get the notice about injector failure, but don't seem to have any strong symptoms. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My D/A is stock and does not noticeably smoke when cold, however, my Dodge/Cummins has a fuel plate installed for power, and emits light blue/white smoke when cold. This is unburned fuel the cold engine cannot utilize simply because it does not generate enough heat to obtain complete combustion. As I previously stated, when you modify the fuel delivery system this is common.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it there is white blue smoke that is usually related to an injection timing issue. Now the Edge doesnt do anything until your coolant is at 85% of normal operating temps. So smoke when it is cold usually isnt going to be module related. Is it smoking only after it sits for a while? If it smokes after it has sat for a while that could be from a leaky injector.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Smokin' 03 @ idle

My '03 Duramax began to emit light blue smoke at idle too. Man, it's embarrasing at a stop light, but when you're pulling a 45' float carrying about 50 people in a parade, it really sucks! The idea of leaking injectors sounds like a reasonable one. I guess a trip to the dealer's shop is in order. Hope the fix is not too expensive.:fart :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garanteed Injector Or A Seal !

·
Registered
4 Posts
smoker

I have a 03 dura with the banks six gun and speed loader w/ 4" magnaflow turbo back. As soon as the temp warms up it smokes blue smoke bad at stop lights. Smells like a lot of fuel real rich. Fuel mileage and perfromance are still great. Read other posts wouldnt an injector effect the mileage and performance. I have had the injectors replaced by dealer (RECALL). 2 to 3 years ago. Banks and exhaust put on a 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smoker

:mad: My '04 Duramax just started smoking, occasionally, about a month ago, 75k miles, and sititng at an idel. I have the hypertech which has been in since new, without a problem. Changed fuel filter that had about 5k on it...reduced smoking significantly, to almost unnoticeable. Just started smoking again last week...only saw 3 occasions since then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pat,

Now the Edge doesnt do anything until your coolant is at 85% of normal operating temps. So smoke when it is cold usually isnt going to be module related.
The Edge can not monitor coolant temp on his 01 so the power fueling is always on.

Steven

·
Registered
43 Posts
Smokin' Dura

:mad: My '04 Duramax just started smoking, occasionally, about a month ago, 75k miles, and sititng at an idel. I have the hypertech which has been in since new, without a problem. Changed fuel filter that had about 5k on it...reduced smoking significantly, to almost unnoticeable. Just started smoking again last week...only saw 3 occasions since then.
I took mine to the dealer, they tested it, and all injectors were running rich. Just prior to this, I received a letter from GMC extending my injector warranty to 200,000 miles. The dealer replaced all injectors and all is good, for now. My concern is that if the new injectors are not an improved version, the same thing will happen again in the next 100,000 miles. Then, guess who will be paying the $1500 or more to replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
duramax smoking at idle

I heard from someone else that GM extended the injectors to 200,000 miles. I wonder if that is starting at a certain year model. I haven't received anything for my 2001 and it just turned 100k and is smoking at idle. :confused:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
it covers the 2001-2003 trucks. It is called special policy 04039 IIRC.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have it in my garage. Look up my user name in the garages. It may not be the most current one, but it should help out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I heard from someone else that GM extended the injectors to 200,000 miles. I wonder if that is starting at a certain year model. I haven't received anything for my 2001 and it just turned 100k and is smoking at idle. :confused:
Go to https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home;jsessionid=JzfcGG1fQhpWnL78Xbn25nHbZQKFvzHZWLzKlMLnfg1gLFt82gPV!190793729!783947509. Enter your VIN for your GM vehicles, and you,ll be regestered as the current owner. Then you will get this information in the mail.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Giterdone

Better get that bad boy into the dealership. Raise a little hell:blowup With only 100000 on it, they oughta fix it!:rockin
Seriously now, I hope they take care of it but I don't know if there is a beginning year or a cut-off year.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
smokes at idle

I read all the other smoke threads and I have the same problem. What I have not read is what any one as done to stop this red light smoke screen. I took it to the dealer and took it back from them when they told me that by changing the air and fuel filter they would fix it for a bargin price of 361.00, I changed both, and of course, still smokes at the drive through. tried another dealer and asked them to check the injectors. I was told they are fine. any one have a clue????? early 2004 completly stock 4X4 with about 120K miles

1 - 20 of 43 Posts