• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3001 - 3020 of 15477 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,002
I wish I had my laptop from work with me

I was doing a lot of side research for some stuff I wanted to make, and we had a 4x4 LMM at work (drilco) that was all factory, and the jounces on that were touching, but not compressed

Lift kits replicate your factory setup, and even then they set it up to where they touch.....they are great for absorbing all the small imperfections on the road, and giving a good visual on how cranked you are :)

Wanna bring it to Texas.....or should I visit aurora again, and bring all my tools :rofl

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,003
How are guys running 35s on a stock truck?
Give me a little more time and I will show you :D (stock height, 35s, aftermarket wheels, ZeRo cranking)

Other guys running 35s are usually on stock 20s (20x8.5 +44) and can get away with it with barely even cranking!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hahaha.

I honestly know nothing about suspensionn
Steering, yeah.
Lifts, levelint kits, etc
Nope.

Suspension lift I'm guessing? Let me get more pictures

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,005
No worries, I don't know stuff either

I just do things :)

Yours isn't lifted at all, if that's what you mean by that last part?

Just has too much load on the torsion bars, which means your adjuster bolts are screwed in a lot nono

I'm just curious now about your shocks...if they are over extending..... Unless you have shock extenders?

·
Registered
754 Posts
How are guys running 35s on a stock truck?
I don't know nearly anywhere near as much as JWC on this subject, so don't take what I say for gospel. But what do you mean by "stock"? Obviously none of us are truly "stock" because that isn't possible with 35s, but I've got stock UCAs & LCAs and am running 33s with a lot of room to spare.

From what I've read, if I get an aftermarket spindle & drop the diff even more (minor frame modification required) I could run 35s without chopping the fender. If I chop the fender now I could easily run 35s.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I would enjoy 33s, stock height, and 18s.

Here comes photos that will hardly assist us.
Keep in mind, I bought the truck with this stuff so what it has is a mystery.

Tires: Nitto Dune Grapplers 285/75/16
Shocks look like a cheap AutoZone replacement.
"Mangum" maybe...

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,009
Is that a 1" tapered block in the rear???

And I hate trimmed valances nono

Why not throw a 1/4" washer on the front bumper bolts and space it out, nobody would notice that :)

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,011
Damn :(

Sure hope the original owner compensated with longer shocks.......

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yeah. He needs to start taking work and charging!

So scratch what the truck has for now.
How do I return it to stock height while allowing 285s/33s to ride without rub?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,015
Depending on what happens

You could do a fender mod, lower the front end to stock height, remove the rear block and check to see if there are enough threads to keep the existing u bolts

Then enjoy with all the new parts your going to have :)

Also, the bilsteins you got, are they for a "stock" height truck?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,017
Depends on if your going to be successful at lowering it :)

IMO, suspension is more important than tires........coming from a person that's about to modify a pair of front fenders to fit the current tire setup on a stock front end, I assure you I am serious :)

So many things can make or break ride quality.

Your UCA's will be fine, but like we talked about earlier the whole bushing deal is up to you

But the shocks you have ordered might be too long of a body, and it say that because if you go to a true stock height between shock mounts and you run a longer shock that has a long body the. That gives you less room to compress, causing your shocks to bottom out

When I lowered my lift ALOT, I ended up buying slightly shorter shocks from fox, and measured and measured and research till I found a shock with the right extended, compressed, shock body length, and mount style I needed :)

My thread when I changed shocks:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-lml-performance-parts-discussion/163957-lml-lowered-lift-shock-options.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know nearly anywhere near as much as JWC on this subject, so don't take what I say for gospel. But what do you mean by "stock"? Obviously none of us are truly "stock" because that isn't possible with 35s, but I've got stock UCAs & LCAs and am running 33s with a lot of room to spare.

From what I've read, if I get an aftermarket spindle & drop the diff even more (minor frame modification required) I could run 35s without chopping the fender. If I chop the fender now I could easily run 35s.
Is it possible to just purchase aftermarket spindles? If so do you know who sells them, I would like to level my truck out a bit and that sounds like a good idea getting spindles and modifying the diff support for flatter cv angles. Might be ok since I don't off road the truck anyway.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
So I can keep the blocks, uncrank it and I'll have good ride again? I'm trying to learn and understand each path.

Also, have you tried the banks ram air+scoop? I kind of want to try it

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,020
So I can keep the blocks, uncrank it and I'll have good ride again? I'm trying to learn and understand each path.

Also, have you tried the banks ram air+scoop? I kind of want to try it
I have the S&B scoop, just to have it :)

When I go low, I might get rid of it, not because I don't like it, but because the filter gets dirt quicker

Honestly I'd ditch the blocks, lower it down till the jounces touch, turn your wheels and see if trimming the inner fender plastic will work, or if you will have to do more "massaging" to make it all work together

My front shocks if you look at the shaft appear to only compress like 1-1.25", because since I allow the jounces to do there job, they help slow the front end down when it's cycling and they absorb all the small imperfections, therefore my shocks aren't doing all the work :cool:

S&B scoop :D
image.jpg

3001 - 3020 of 15477 Posts