Roll with me on this one guys, spitballing an idea that fits my needs better..
I was fixing a broken running light wire that powers the left rear fender light, and started thinking..
So my trailer only being a year old with damage to both fenders is killing me, and replacements are pricey, and I can’t tig aluminum
So since the fenders are 72”, what if I bought single axle fenders (36”L) with backs that way they can slide onto the four tabs that are on the trailer itself behind the tires. All I would need to do is weld some simple brackets on to attach the opposite ends of the fenders to the existing brackets near the running lights.
In between the fenders themselves I was thinking a sort of “step” like something tasteful attached to say a piece of pipe angle cut and welded to a flat plate that could be bolted to the channel of the trailer..
When I haul the Sierra around I don’t open the doors and always climb in and out of the window opening, and I’ve gotten good at that without stepping on the fender itself.
(A) single axle fenders are very cheap
(B) if one gets damaged I’ll only lose a foot and not the whole leg
Started on my idea for individual fenders that don’t cost and arm and a leg to replace like the one piece aluminum ones.
Picked up some 2”x1/8” flat bar to make a center bar that uses the two tabs per axle to hold the fender against the channel. My next plan is to drill one hole for each fender or maybe two idk, and do some quick release pins and if not maybe thread the channel and do some “knob” style fasteners. I do need to drill a hole in each bar to “center” them each time they’re installed. It’s different, that’s for sure..
I’d like to change how the lights attach as well as maybe the lights themselves, and turn the existing brackets into step pads, maybe cut out some 3/8” plate I have and bolt some stuff in.
The Sierra is going to get a complete redo, stretched, and turned into a 1 ton, so in theory the fenders won’t ever need to come off again for me..
Had a code the other morning for a P0671, saying the glow plug circuit for cylinder #1 was open. Sooooo I went to Oreilys, spent $20.56 for an AC Delco part and installed it. Now, the CEL was on post installation so I cleared it, but if it comes back on I’ll have to get back on the old google machine and see what’s next...like a module maybe
It was a simple install, it was a 7mm for the liner screws, 12mm deep for the actual GP, and iirc an 8mm for the “Nut” holding the terminal on.
The engine was cold, and it was about 50 degrees outside. All I did was spray some liquid wrench and let it set for about ten minutes..