Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 gmc siera with a duramax. I just put in a k and air filter and now I have a fault that says check system. I took the old one out saved it just in case and just plopped the new one in and fired her up. I think it said new filter on the dash and I clicked yes but now every time I start it. It says check system. I thought this was a no brainer. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yup.

Wayyyyy too many computers on this setup. Unless you get a full intake system, just leave the factory filter element. I, like you, have a mindset that i want to tinker with everything because it'll improve it. With this motor, unless you drop serious coin, you wont get much more other than intake system and a tuner (which voids warranty)

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is a filter setting you needed to change in the dic before you started the engine. Disconnect the batteries, clear the code, change the setting for air filter, start engine.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
do a little reading on K&N filters before you decide to stick with that filter. DIRT in your motor! I watched a video on here a couple of days ago. Including that video, I have never seen a test where K&N wasn't DEAD LAST in filtering out dirt when compared to normal paper type filters.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a k &n in my 17. I probably put 10k miles using the k & n and it just seemed like it was losing power. I went back to stock filter and truck ran better again. Now I have a 21. And will not even think about putting a k & n in it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
do a little reading on K&N filters before you decide to stick with that filter. DIRT in your motor! I watched a video on here a couple of days ago. Including that video, I have never seen a test where K&N wasn't DEAD LAST in filtering out dirt when compared to normal paper type filters.
I have used K & N over the years in different vehicles. Some improved torque and power along with MPG some just got more engine noise. Overall, I have given up on K&N because I have been seeing too many reports of dirt in the motor. So, for me I will stick with factory filters. I have enough torque, speed, and MPG in the LM2 engine. No way I want to mess up my new 2021 AT4.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Seems as though they are living through their legacy these days

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
When I bought my truck over 13 years ago, first thing i did was throw away the K&N air filter and clean the MAF sensor. Instant increase in power. Oiled gauze filters might be OK in old non-turbo gassers, but I wouldn't put one on a turbodiesel ever.... Stock paper filter and ugly black filter box is the best setup you can have, unless you're looking for more that 500HP. Yeah, it isn't shiny, but it works great!

Reactions: sambor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It
Was it a dry or oiled filter?
was oiled from the factory at k and n
I have used K & N over the years in different vehicles. Some improved torque and power along with MPG some just got more engine noise. Overall, I have given up on K&N because I have been seeing too many reports of dirt in the motor. So, for me I will stick with factory filters. I have enough torque, speed, and MPG in the LM2 engine. No way I want to mess up my new 2021 AT4.
tha is for the replies. I did save the original filter it only had 2800 miles on it. I’m going to put it back in. I had a Toyota Tundra crew max before this with a 5.7. Was a little more snappy but I understand it weighs a lot more and is diesel. I may go with the banks I dash,derringer and monster pedal. Saw a review and installed/dyno on YouTube and the gains were 113 rwhp and 100 ft lbs of torq

·
Registered
727 Posts
It

was oiled from the factory at k and n

tha is for the replies. I did save the original filter it only had 2800 miles on it. I’m going to put it back in. I had a Toyota Tundra crew max before this with a 5.7. Was a little more snappy but I understand it weighs a lot more and is diesel. I may go with the banks I dash,derringer and monster pedal. Saw a review and installed/dyno on YouTube and the gains were 113 rwhp and 100 ft lbs of torq
Dont only look at the peak numbers tho - you need to look at the whole powerband to really see it. Just be prepared for some serious lashings from the Banks haters on here. Personally, with my L5P, i have the Derringer and PedalMonster and swear by it. To each their own

Reactions: PapaJeep

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont only look at the peak numbers tho - you need to look at the whole powerband to really see it. Just be prepared for some serious lashings from the Banks haters on here. Personally, with my L5P, i have the Derringer and PedalMonster and swear by it. To each their own
I don’t care what people think opinions are like assholes. How was thenpedal
Response after the pedal monster. I feel the stock is mushy

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don’t care what people think opinions are like assholes. How was thenpedal
Response after the pedal monster. I feel the stock is mushy
I recommend it be done even before purchasing floor mats....take that for what it's worth

I daily in Derringer 3 and pedal sport 3 (13/30) perfect balance I feel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recommend it be done even before purchasing floor mats....take that for what it's worth

I daily in Derringer 3 and pedal sport 3 (13/30) perfect balance I feel
Nice. Thanks for the replies. I’m gonna order it up. Will it bark tires after that. That truck is had to get a spin. And cannot power brake

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There are strong opinions on both sides. I won't push hard one way or the other but mostly just stick to the facts.

Biggest problem I ever had with stock air boxes is they leak around the foam seal of the air filter because the box either isn't rigid enough to maintain a flat surface or they're not even flat when they're new. The latter has actually been observed, there's a thread on that issue. I repeatedly took the lid off my LML and found the foam seal sucked in allowing unfiltered air into the engine. Had enough of that real quick and replaced it with a proper air filter, round that attached to a tube with a hose clamp, no leaks. I understand the oiled filter performed poorly in the Project Farm filtration test but oiled filters never worried me since I typically ran 3-4 Si levels on oil analysis after 10k+ miles. I've seen plenty of guys run higher than that with stock filters, probably due to unfiltered air going around the filter.

When I bought my L5P with 120k miles, it was already dusted inside the intake tube due to poor filtration of the factory setup. Replaced with S&B with a round filter again. Didn't have the truck long enough to prove much but the inside of the intake tube was still clean a few thousand miles later.

Biggest problem most guys have with the oiled filter is they over-oil them. That can and will cause issues. Treated properly, they will give good service for a long time. I ran the one on my LML for almost a quarter million, still did not burn a lick of oil when the truck had 333k miles on it. That's on the highway most of the time. I would not recommend an oiled filter for someone whose truck lives offroad or otherwise in severe service conditions.

As for Banks, the Derringer made my L5P into something that you actually would like to drive. I was used to only using about a half inch of pedal in my LML. Got the 2018 and had to scoot my seat up since it required almost full pedal depression to make it wake up. The Derringer fixed that and pretty much made it drive like a normal vehicle.

Those are just my observations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The excess oil in the oil filter doesn't stay with the filter. The MAP sensor has a heating element and it clogs the sensor. I have a dry filter in mine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The days of the inferior oiled filters have been dead for quite some time. Why people use the is beyond me when better dry alternatives are available. I drive in very bad conditions even frequent dust storms the oiled filter is a killer of --- look at the dirt on the intake and as mentioned above oil screws with the MAF sensor.

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Another vote for the Banks iDash, pedal monster, and Derringer. Yes, I had a couple issues, but banks stepped up with great customer service.
Do yourself a favor though, just get the iDash and pedal monster first and see if that's good enough for you. You can always add the Derringer later. I wish I had gone that route, the Derringer doesn't fix the dead pedal from a stop.

Reactions: Sulfur and blythkd1

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2021 gmc siera with a duramax. I just put in a k and air filter and now I have a fault that says check system. I took the old one out saved it just in case and just plopped the new one in and fired her up. I think it said new filter on the dash and I clicked yes but now every time I start it. It says check system. I thought this was a no brainer. Anyone experience this?
That happened to me when I first put a K&N cold intake on my 2015 years ago. Ended up being a couple of leaks of air in the tube where I couldn't easily see. It all has too been snug and tight!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts