Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think the correlation was that the k&n filter let in too much dirt, that ended up wearing out his oil pump.

Yeah, that and possibly the dirt wore his main / cam bearings to the point where there is too much clearance to maintain oil pressure?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced my OEM filter with the K&N and haven't had any issues. From what I can tell it's actually improved my fuel mileage and performance. When I pulled it out of the wrapper I left it open for a couple of days to dry out. No warnings and I just hauled 6000 lbs of RV 1750 miles over mountains avg 14.5 mpg.

Reactions: nmjack

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ran K&Ns for over 25 years until moving to other manufacturers intakes and such. Never had any issues on well over a dozen vehicles. Properly maintained they are fine just like an other high flow filter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So here's the thing. I've had k&n on my 07.5 duramax, 95 silverado 1500, and several other toys. I've never had any issues. I now have a wcfab compound kit with their intake dry filter. Anyway I had heard of all these horror stories about filter oil plugging up the MAF sensor. Never happened to me. After a while I kind of was wondering how much someone would have to put to plug the MAF sensor up so I put twice the oil it needed on there and still never gave me a sensor error. The important thing with the oiled filters is that they are properly oiled all over. Lack of oil will get you dirt in engine.
For what it's worth, the WC fab filter has an outerwear prefilter that would perfectly go over a k&N or spectre filter if anyone is looking for a good prefilter. I believe they sell it by itself.
Project Farm on youtube did a very good test on air filters and while most are about the same the K&N are horrible and allow large amounts of dirt and particles into the engine.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,452 Posts
See Post #35….

41 - 45 of 45 Posts