Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I installed the Banks Economind and Boost tube. I really didnt have an extra $400+ at the moment to shell out for their intake/ram air setup. I have a K&N already installed and was told that I would be better off just putting the stock filter back in than to run the K&N. They said the K&N messes up the MAF sensor by allowing too much air to pass it and their product rotates the sensor and fixes that problem. I cant remember their exact words but something along the line of "air hits the sensor too fast and causes the engine to think its getting too much air and it does something to counteract the increased air." Is this just a mind game to get me to spend more money or is there some truth to it? I really dont drive the truck hard and bought the set up to increase fuel economy. I realize there is always room for improvement but I have a hard time believing that under normal driving conditions that the stock air box and a K&N is not enough airflow. If a motor is increasing horsepower there IS increased air volume, even with the stock filter, thats just plain physics. If it is true about the MAF sensor, is there a way to rotate it yourself to solve the issue? Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Thats my rule. If I can do it myself...why not!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ive never heard of the rotating thing but I do know the downside to the K&N is the oil on the filter. After driving for a while, and especially after romping it a few times, the oil from the filter gets on the MAF and kinda fouls it up. I speak from experience. The K&N was awesome when I first put it in and then I started gettng a bunch of little problems. Fixed with a good MAF cleaning and replacing the K&N with a good OEM filter.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
They said the K&N messes up the MAF sensor by allowing too much air to pass it and their product rotates the sensor and fixes that problem. I cant remember their exact words but something along the line of "air hits the sensor too fast and causes the engine to think its getting too much air and it does something to counteract the increased air."
You have to wonder how some people manage to sleep at all at night.

"KN has a bad reputation because it works too well..."

KN is not an aftermarket company, it is a marketing program that has swindled millions of unsuspecting customers. Don't be another customer who tries to rationalize a way out of the ego dilemna of having made a poor decision. It is sometimes best to just learn from mistakes and forgive ourselves. I can relate to how tough that can be to do, especially as landfills have earned more of KN's business than any other sector.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Many people are happy with a decision that doubles there vehicle maintenance routine. It gives them something to do with the grandkids, which is not a bad thing. I am just not one of them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KillerBee, so are you saying K&N is bad or good? You started off with "it works too good", then went to "it has swindled millions"? Banks said that the K&N is bad for the truck. I bought the K&N because it was roughly the same price as a Delco factory filter and before I made any mods. If the K&N is junk I have no problem getting rid of it and putting a factory filter back in. I just want whats best for my truck. I know that CAI's are optimal but I also know whats realistic and what looks good on paper. Test results that show big number increases in CFM or HP are tests that are performed at max operating conditions (WOT). In reality, thats not the way we drive our trucks on a daily basis. In real world driving IMHO that type of airflow is just not needed.:confused:

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
TXFire,

Keep in the intake, ditch the wet filter. Install a dry universal replacement. From what I have heard it is the oil from the filter that causes the problems with the MAF.

The ones from AMSOIL in the link above are good for 100k miles or 4 yrs and only need to be cleaned every 25k with a vacuum or low pressure air.

If I can be of further assistance, just PM me.

Take care,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.