Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought K&N installed it and short while later code for maf comes up. Posted thread and was informed to clean and reoil LIGHTLY. Did this and reinstalled and less than 100 miles later trips code again. This time I remove and clean, after 3 applications of filter cleaner. Wanted to let it soak a bit for thorough cleaning. This time I don't oil at all reinstall and a couple days later, yep you guessed it. Time for a refund?:help

·
Registered
505 Posts
did you clean the MAF with MAF cleaner? you may have oil on it where it sucked oil on the MAF and still throwing code. I put very minimal oil on mine wait till it spreads and then put in.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
What? No oil in your oiled filter? :eek::eek::eek: Without the oil the filter is useless!! Thats like not having a filter at all :eek:

I can't stress this enough!!! You HAVE to oil the filter, or it won't stop any dirt from going in to your motor. The oil is what makes the filter media effective at stopping dirt. Doesn't it say this in the directions and on the box and pretty much everywhere? Wow... go out and oil the filter... right now!! Right now basically your filter is letting everything short of boulders into your intake and right into the turbo and on into your motor :eek:

To the OP, if you're still having problems, get a $7 can of MAF sensor cleaner, and spray the sensor wires that are inside your intake. Do NOT touch them at all, or it'll ruin the sensor, just spray them clean. That should solve your problem. But you HAVE to oil the filter or it's useless. Just let it dry some before you re-install it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Something else might be wrong??? I run a K&N Intake and have had no problems at all with it? Are you running the whole K&N Intake System or just the K&N filter in the OEM intake box?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
i never oil my k&N's my quad,2 duramaxs, cummins, powerjokes never get oiled, all above 100k miles no problems
quads over 100K eh? lol

ok, go take a look at the fins on your compressor wheel on any one of those turbos. I bet they have chips out of them and look like they've been hit with a sandblaster. Not to mention what all that dirt does when it gets in your oil... they might have 100k on them, but probably won't last half as long as they would with a filter that actually stops some dirt. I saw a 7.3 stroker's turbo after it ran maybe 10k with a collapsed air filter. It was NOT pretty.

Thats the whole point of the filter, the oil AND gauze work together to stop particles of dirt. I'm pretty sure that K&N even says this several times on the box, on the directions inside the box, and on EVERY cleaning kit many times. Something to the tune of "Do not install a K&N filter that has not been properly oiled"

What is the dirt supposed to stick to when it hits the filter if there's no oil? Thats how an oil and gauze filter works. The gauze just suspends the oil to that dirt will stick to the oil. Without the oil the dirt just breezes right through the filter. Might as well not use a filter if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I didn't think people were ignorant enough to even do this. Maybe we need to make a sticky that says OIL YOUR OILED FILTER, IT DOESN'T WORK IF YOU DON'T OIL IT!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Im actually looking into a replacement dry filter for my K&N air intake. Amsoil makes one, but im not sure if I want to go that route

·
Registered
112 Posts
K&N Filter

Pretty simple.

Step 1 - Read the comparison chart on the effectiveness of the K&N Filter as compared to STOCK.

Step 2 - Get rid of K&N Filter

Step 3 - Reinstall Stock Filter

End

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Pretty simple.

Step 1 - Read the comparison chart on the effectiveness of the K&N Filter as compared to STOCK.

Step 2 - Get rid of K&N Filter

Step 3 - Reinstall Stock Filter

End
:LMAO

Then compare oiled K&N to UN oiled K&N and stock, and trade in truck :rof

guess who runs a stock filter...

this guy does :rockin

·
Registered
505 Posts
but is an Amsoil air filter good? I would go back to stock but I dont have the original intake. So I have thought about the S&B system and sell the K&N setup

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
S&B is one of the best on the market, especially for the price. They also offer oiled or dry filters. I'd recommend the dry, so you can just toss it when its dirty and order a new one. Plus no oil on the MAF like the guys in this thread

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What? No oil in your oiled filter? :eek::eek::eek: Without the oil the filter is useless!! Thats like not having a filter at all :eek:

I can't stress this enough!!! You HAVE to oil the filter, or it won't stop any dirt from going in to your motor. The oil is what makes the filter media effective at stopping dirt. Doesn't it say this in the directions and on the box and pretty much everywhere? Wow... go out and oil the filter... right now!! Right now basically your filter is letting everything short of boulders into your intake and right into the turbo and on into your motor :eek:

To the OP, if you're still having problems, get a $7 can of MAF sensor cleaner, and spray the sensor wires that are inside your intake. Do NOT touch them at all, or it'll ruin the sensor, just spray them clean. That should solve your problem. But you HAVE to oil the filter or it's useless. Just let it dry some before you re-install it.
I only tried it with oil we just had some rain to settle the dust and, I stayed off any dirt roads. No soy loco. I have the cleaner, two cans.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Jess do you have a factory box or is it modified? I am thinking about just going AC delco and be done with it. I butchered my airbox via DIY sticky PPE airbox mod but, can still fit AC delco.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am starting to think you guys are right hick and guy08. I have always had great perfermance in my gassers. I should have bought stock in K&N and Mobil 1syn years ago but, not anymore.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
I will be putting mine on next weekend before I go to the dyno so I can get some nice air moving into mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.