Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up a K&N replacement filter for the OEM job recently but was a littel skeptica over the front of the air filter(facing air inlet for box) not being filter material. This design to me seems like it would be a minimal air flow improvement due to the "air dam" imposer by the K&N replacement filter design.

Is anyone else running one of these or familiar with what I'm referring to..??

I guess the quastion is, has anyone seen an EGT, BOOST or power difference with this perticular filter?
My truck is stock but I haven't noticed much of any difference oter than a little more turbo whistle now.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I used one for a little while until I read the "Spicer filter study." No more k&n for me. You can see daylight through the filter after a little bit of use. If most of your driving is on pavement, then it might not be as bad, but I will never own another k&n again. As for what you are talking about, I don't know...what engine do you have.....I am assuming that you have one of the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, it's a 07' classic style LBZ

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The stock filter flows good, why change and let more dirt in the engine? I have yet to see a gain from an aftermarket intake or filter. (fuel mileage)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I like the whistle and stock is way too muffled down..

Maybe the best solution is the AFE setup as it looks like they have a good quality filter and "filter sock".

I was hoping it might help MPG a little, but I don't know if it really did. I know the donaldson filter is a good flowing and filtering setup, but way too quiet.

Also as a side note, study or not, I have used K&N's on MANY vehicles with no appreciable redction i engine or turbo life before.

I have a 95' powerstroke with 240,000mi
and a Olds Bravada with 280,000Mi

thay have both been using K&N's and synthetic oil, I'd say that's pretty good service so far....

Those are only two vehcles out of the many I've had, that I've used the K&N brand and have given me good service.

That isn't saying there isn't room for an improvement though....:drink

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I would go with the AFE proguard 7 filter if you have to get an aftermarket. That's what I use when I'm not going down long dirt roads here in alaska. I too used k&n before and had decent results, but when I pulled out the stock replacement and saw many pinholes of light through it...that's when I called it quits with them....also after reading the "Spicer Air Filter Study."

·
Registered
121 Posts
yes, i agree, k&n are are only good with gas engines but not diesels. i still use the stock filter in the mean time, but until then, ima go with afe.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i agree, k&n are are only good with gas engines but not diesels.
Thanks for the replies, I have used K&N in many Gas and Diesel engines with no appreciable loss in engine life over several hundred thousand miles.
Like I said before thouugh, it doesn't hurt to try to filter better, maybe it would add up to something even better than 200-300,000 miles of life!:drink

If for nothing else, the AFE filter might give me piece of mind, knowing it filters the air better than the K&N.:rockin

·
Registered
262 Posts
yah i did the link that tyreboyz has and it made a huge difference even with the stock filter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts