·
Vendor
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What size of lines are you using?

And, how was your psi affected?
Still getting hard numbers on PSI.

Hose is 3/4", fittings are -12AN.

The sandwich adapter has a thermostat, so it starts to allow flow at 160 degrees and goes fully open at 180. So it wont cause longer warm ups during the winter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
EARL,S makes an oil cooler that is practically a bolt on for the lly. The inlet and outlet spacing is an exact match to your stock lines. You only need to make a few simple brackets out of aluminum stock and it mounts in the same location in front of the radiator. Their are several threads with pics on most sites. I did it for mine, installed an aftermarket turbo inlet and 3" banks inlet tube and had no more overheating problems with my lly pulling a 36' fifth wheel.

·
Vendor
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
EARL,S makes an oil cooler that is practically a bolt on for the lly. The inlet and outlet spacing is an exact match to your stock lines. You only need to make a few simple brackets out of aluminum stock and it mounts in the same location in front of the radiator. Their are several threads with pics on most sites. I did it for mine, installed an aftermarket turbo inlet and 3" banks inlet tube and had no more overheating problems with my lly pulling a 36' fifth wheel.
Are you talking about a tranny cooler? The factory engine oil cooler isnt in the front stack. What is being discussed in this thread is to cool engine oil.

This is what the factory engine oil cooler looks like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jimmy, got a price on this kit yet? Called a few different times on Friday but nobody picked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Great product and definitely want one for my LMM! Does this mean that 2+ qts during and oil change remain within the cooler?

·
Supporting Vendors
830 Posts
Jimmy, got a price on this kit yet? Called a few different times on Friday but nobody picked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They are now listed on the site $715 with free shipping. One of the higher priced kits but also one of the largest coolers we have seen. Yes it will hold an additional 2 quarts of fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
But, will that additional 2qts of oil drain with an oil change?
Or will it continue to always be 10qts to replenish?
Instead of 12.

....Does this mean that 2+ qts during and oil change remain within the cooler?

·
Vendor
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
But, will that additional 2qts of oil drain with an oil change?
Or will it continue to always be 10qts to replenish?
Instead of 12.

With the mounting bracket/location that comes with this kit, the cooler/lines would be below the sandwich adapter, so the oil wouldn't drain out on a change, so it would still be 10 qts to replenish.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Leaving 17% of the used oil behind on a change, would it be a good idea for a user to incorporate a bypass filter into the mix?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just my .02, I made my own kit with a similar oil cooler and mounted it infront of the cooling stack. Ive got 85000 miles and tow in the 90-100 with no issues with oil temps, ac function, or coolant temps. In fact my Coolant temps are lower after oil cooler install even with the cooler infront of the stack. The oil also drains from the cooler during oil changes.

·
Premium Member
8,560 Posts
Just my .02, I made my own kit with a similar oil cooler and mounted it infront of the cooling stack. Ive got 85000 miles and tow in the 90-100 with no issues with oil temps, ac function, or coolant temps. In fact my Coolant temps are lower after oil cooler install even with the cooler infront of the stack. The oil also drains from the cooler during oil changes.
Feel free to PM me some details... :thumb

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Also...Some syn oil(s) will hold up to the near 300* EOT spikes, and still maintain 45psi oil pressure @ 18-2200Rs.
X2 ... An oil upgrade will also show oil temp and oil pressure improvements. My oil temp on warmup lags my water temp.

·
Vendor
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just my .02, I made my own kit with a similar oil cooler and mounted it infront of the cooling stack. Ive got 85000 miles and tow in the 90-100 with no issues with oil temps, ac function, or coolant temps. In fact my Coolant temps are lower after oil cooler install even with the cooler in front of the stack. The oil also drains from the cooler during oil changes.
Hard thing about mounting in the stack, is some people have additional coolers (for the trans) that are bigger and have fans, in which case that wouldn't work...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the kit looks like a great setup, But In my truck I had an issue with where to mount without cutting up the air damn. When I was doing mine guys were pretty split on whether or not in front of the stack was ok. On my lml I mounted to the supports in front of the ac condenser. I had to modify the braket that holds the grille. Wish this kit would have been available then it would have saved me a lot of time. I think the oil cooler is a very important supporting mod.

Attachments

·
Vendor
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So wanted to circle back on this... Unfortunately I cant get a answer on the BTU rating on the cooler in this kit.

But did want to throw some numbers at you... This shows how much heat thins out oil...

All these readings were taken from my LMM (no aftermarket oil cooler yet), at 1600 rpm in 6th gear (34" tires). This is with Delo 400LE oil, next change I will go back to Rotella T6.

Oil Temp - Oil PSI
173 - 37
185 - 36
212 - 31
218 - 29

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Filter Sandwich with -12 fittings?

Where do I find such an animal. I have everything else, just cannot find this with -12 lines. I run -10 on the road course car. Had a spare cooler with -12s and cannot for the life of me find the sandwich with -12s

I monitor oil temp in the pan and pulled the toy hauler from northern AZ into Phx a couple weeks ago and pooped my pants. 240-260 peak temps. So I started rooting around the shop and found fittings, lines, cooler, but not the -12 sandwich. EGTs spiking at 1300 and ECTs at about 250.

09 lmm, stock with banks six gun, air intake and exhaust DPF back. I run it on level 2 when towing.

Thanks,
Gugs

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Oil Filter Sandwich with -12 fittings?

Where do I find such an animal. I have everything else, just cannot find this with -12 lines. I run -10 on the road course car. Had a spare cooler with -12s and cannot for the life of me find the sandwich with -12s

I monitor oil temp in the pan and pulled the toy hauler from northern AZ into Phx a couple weeks ago and pooped my pants. 240-260 peak temps. So I started rooting around the shop and found fittings, lines, cooler, but not the -12 sandwich. EGTs spiking at 1300 and ECTs at about 250.

09 lmm, stock with banks six gun, air intake and exhaust DPF back. I run it on level 2 when towing.

Thanks,

Gugs

250 coolant temps sounds more like you have a dirty cooling stack. I normally recommend an oil cooler but it would be more of a bandaid to a bigger problem for you.

That said 12an isn't necessary. The filter nozzle only flows 10an and amsoil's bypass system is only 1/2" or 10an.
You can bore out the fittings on the early Sandwitch plate if you wish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do have a billet grill that I will pull next big haul. I was thinking the same thing on cleaning up the sandwich adapter. My guess is that is all 90* edges inside etc. Have done this on many fuel/oil adapters over the years. I was pulling 10 miles of 6-8% grades with a 35 foot toyhauler anywhere from 70 to 45mph. 3rd gear a couple of times.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I do have a billet grill that I will pull next big haul. I was thinking the same thing on cleaning up the sandwich adapter. My guess is that is all 90* edges inside etc. Have done this on many fuel/oil adapters over the years. I was pulling 10 miles of 6-8% grades with a 35 foot toyhauler anywhere from 70 to 45mph. 3rd gear a couple of times.

Has the cooling stack ever been cleaned? If you tow often I would throw in a Hayden 2886 fan clutch. I can gross 36k and not see over 210 coolant temp.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts