Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've spent the last few hours reading over just about every single post within the Transmission Shop.

Here's the deal. Brand new 2011 LML with just under 12,000 miles and I have a few transmission fluid issues. A month after picking up the truck, we got our first Range Inhibitor Warning. After getting the truck to the dealership, it was due to low transmission fluid. They filled it up to the correct level and we were back on the road. I checked my garage and driveway and I have not one sign of a fluid leak. Now this starts to confuse me.

On my trip back home from Iowa, I stuck on the side of the road with a Range Inhibitor Warning. Checked the fluid levels and they were low again. So I had to add 3.5 quarts of fluid to get the levels back to normal. I crawled under the truck and couldn't find one sign of leaking. Now this is starting to piss me off. Again, I talked to the dealership, especially when I just had the truck in for a oil change and 20-point inspection. Clearing on the inspection list says that the fluid levels were GREEN.

Today, after getting back from a trip our east of North Carolina, I noticed that the truck had been shifting weird and at idle the rpms would stay pretty high. So I checked the fluid levels and they were getting low again!?!?!

What the heck is wrong with my transmission? I'm gonna go ahead and order some Transynd fluid and change the fluid and the spin off filter. The hardest part for me to understand is why the level keeps going down with no signs of a leak?

Can anyone help? :help

thanks in advance.

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you guys need more information to assist? If anything, I'm going to try and find a Allison authorized service shop and see what they say.

I will also snap some pictures this afternoon to show you all what I see. :cool:

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
have you thought about taking it to another dealer and see if they can pinpoint it?

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been debating taking her back to the two closest dealerships. I can take up to a dealer in Raleigh but at this point, I don't want to drive the truck until I figure this out. Neither one of the two dealerships offered to come pick up the truck on a flat bed.

The fun continues.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Check up front by the passenger tire and the front bumper. I dont know if they fixed the tranny cooler lines on the LML but every other 6 speed model has problems with them. The crimp leaks where it goes from metal to rubber.

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.... Heading outside to check that out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Disolo; I'm with you, if it's leaking there should be a sign of that somewhere - especially with the amount of fluid you're adding. It's almost as if it can be sucked into the engine and being used (as you can tell, I'm not an Allison expert!)hopefully someone can add to this that has some knowledge on mysterious fluid loss.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not sure how its set up but is it possible for it to leak into the transfer case?

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just spent the better part of an hour under Julie and there is no signs of leaking from any connections around the cooler and or the entry/exit from the transmission.

Called and talked to the closest Chevy/GMC service department and their Allison transmissions SME only works Thursdays. WTFO???

Since I've had this truck, I've put in 6 quarts of transmission fluid. I'm gonna try and find a authorized Allison tranny shop. I'm definitely needing help.

I'm not sure how its set up but is it possible for it to leak into the transfer case?
I'm not sure that's possible, but somehow I don't wanna rule out anything at this point.

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the chances I'm actually burning through tranny fluid?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Check to see if your transfer case is over filled that would tell you where its going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide App

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check to see if your transfer case is over filled that would tell you where its going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide App
Transfer case huh? Hmmm, I will have to check it that out in the morning. My question for you would be, how would the tranny fluid get into the transfer case? I really hope that wasn't a stupid question.....

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I did some reading up... if the transfer case input seal is leaking, that would be where the fluid is going.

I'm definitely gonna check that in the morning. Thanks xarcticzonez for pointing that one out for me!!

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your gonna have one FULL transfer case if thats the case :cookoo[1]:
You ain't lyin!! I'm actually thinking I'm not going to check it and just take it to the dealership Monday morning (if they are open) and let them clean up that mess.

Hopefully it's a somewhat quick fix.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
if it is they'll just drop the Tcase and change the seal.

you could throw a drain pan under it and pop the fill hole open on the case and see how much drains out...

if its collecting that fluid, it'll pour out and give you an answer

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
if you are looking for authorized allison place. look at a international dealer or a kenworth. around us those two work on the allisons often.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The transmission is cooled by engine water (coolant) through the transmission cooling system. It's an oil to water cooler. The cooler transfers heat from the transmission fluid into the engine coolant (water). The heat is then dissipated at the radiator. You may have a leak inside your transmission cooler. Check your engine coolant to see if you're leaking transmission fluid into the engine coolant. With that much fluid missing, it should look like a strawberry milk shake by now.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
The transmission is cooled by engine water (coolant) through the transmission cooling system. It's an oil to water cooler. The cooler transfers heat from the transmission fluid into the engine coolant (water). The heat is then dissipated at the radiator. You may have a leak inside your transmission cooler. Check your engine coolant to see if you're leaking transmission fluid into the engine coolant. With that much fluid missing, it should look like a strawberry milk shake by now.
I don't believe, ok, I'm pretty sure these do not use an oil/water heat exchanger. The T-cooler is air cooled, unless I'm way wrong here. This is a good one, unless someone is fuckin with you and draining your tranny at night :rofl

1 - 20 of 25 Posts