Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order a lift pump from Kennedy Diesel and noticed he also offers tuning. I'm in the market for a tuner and was going to go with duramaxtuner.com but wanted to give Kennedy a look first. Any thoughts about differences between the two? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
If your deleting anything like your egr then Kennedy would be the better choice.
If your not deleting/blocking the egr then flip a coin.
You also have MotorOps which I just switched to after thanksgiving, best tune I’ve had to date with decent power and better mileage.

ATP had the best power, Rob likes to add more injector timing than most, mileage was a little lower but power was great.
Our fuel quality has dropped over the last 6 years and with that higher injector timing my mileage started to really suffer, 14 6/2012 down to high 10’s 6/2017.

With Ridge Runner tunes power was good my mileage was just a little better around 11.5 -12 and had a little less timing.
Motor Ops came to the rescue and built me a tune with less timing for me at my request, power is pretty good, not as good as ATP and RR but my mileage increased now around 13.5.
Putting my stock cat back on to get rid of the raunchy exhaust fumes also helped with mileage.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Going Kennedy you have to remove your ECM and ship it to get tunes loaded on it, then it gets shipped back with tunes, re-install your ECM, you truck is down during this time.

AutoCal tuning most of the tuners send you a AutoCal with tunes loaded on it, plug and play downtime maybe 5 minutes.

Pretty much everyone that has Kennedy tunes are happy.
If you need any changes with your tunes even tire size changes, repeat above.

With AutoCal any changes you call the tuner they’ll email you the changes, you load the changes on your AC then plugin and play.

I think Kennedy started doing tunes thru email providing you have a AutoCal and a vin license, this you’ll have to check on prices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right. Kennedy does offer tunes via email if the end user has the required support equipment. Definitely a great option to take a look at for someone who has a Autocal/V2 with vin Lic.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
You can get Kennedy Tuning with an autocal. That is the route I went with. Kennedy just does one tune, but he will customize it to your liking. Not many people will be swapping around tunes. I have his tuning an have been pretty happy with it. I have been having far less regens than before. You can email John Kennedy and he will answer your questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get Kennedy Tuning with an autocal. That is the route I went with. Kennedy just does one tune, but he will customize it to your liking. Not many people will be swapping around tunes. I have his tuning an have been pretty happy with it. I have been having far less regens than before. You can email John Kennedy and he will answer your questions.
I assume you bought the autocal/v2 from EFI Live before purchasing the tune from Kennedy? I checked his website and didn't notice he offered an autocal w/single tune package. Only ECM tune packages.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I assume you bought the autocal/v2 from EFI Live before purchasing the tune from Kennedy?
Not how it works. You buy either the Autocal or V2 from the Tuner, and it comes with the VIN license for the tune, which is sent via Email.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I assume you bought the autocal/v2 from EFI Live before purchasing the tune from Kennedy? I checked his website and didn't notice he offered an autocal w/single tune package. Only ECM tune packages.
No, when I bought my package from him he sent an autocal with the tuning on it and instructions on how to load. Email or call John and he will explain it to you. It is pretty easy and he will answer your questions.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I just wish that Kennedy would have offered AutoCal tuning 7 years ago.
Maybe I wouldn’t have had to try other tuners tuning, my recent MotorOps is the best so far out of the other 3 tuners with mild timing and better mileage with decent power.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Not how it works. You buy either the Autocal or V2 from the Tuner, and it comes with the VIN license for the tune, which is sent via Email.
Yes, but if you’ve already own a AutoCal or V2 with vin license for your truck on it from whoever and would like to try Kennedy Tuning, you don’t have to buy the device or pay for another vin license.

You do not have to buy another vin license because the device already has it on it, you just need to buy the tuning from Kennedy.
If it’s a AutoCal, first you’ll need to get it unlocked from that tuner then lock it to the new tuner.
Been there have already done this with different tuners.
At this time I have 3 AutoCals with my vin on it, one also has my Yukon Denali on it.
You can have up to 8 different vin numbers on one AC, but it’s locked to one tuner.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
No, when I bought my package from him he sent an autocal with the tuning on it and instructions on how to load. Email or call John and he will explain it to you. It is pretty easy and he will answer your questions.
I’ve been communicating with John, just curious, what was your final price for everything out the door ?
If you don’t mind answering.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Prices are on his website.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Prices are on his website.
Already had searched before asking for my LMM, I found that AutoCal with tunes shipped is only available for the LML.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts