Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come... I just got done driving my Ford on an hour and 10 minute round trip to drop something off, and I really didn't like it. It's okay for driving to/from work, and around town, but in its current shape it's just not up for the longer trips, and with fishing and camping season right around the corner, this just won't work.

I'm jonesin' to get back into another diesel truck, but the current budget just doesn't allow a higher payment for another Duramax, so I figured an OBS 6.5 4x4 would be the next best thing. I'm pondering a few things about them and would appreciate any input on the subject :drink

First off, I don't want a half-ton. I would love to have a dually, mainly because I want a big honkin' truck. I don't have a need for one now, but after the wedding there's interest in buying a boat and/or an RV trailer (tag or 5'er, whatever works out best) and it would have to be a bigger one to comfortably fit the 5 of us plus any others (friends, relatives) along for the trip. Is there any benefit along the towing line for getting a Dually vs. a SRW?

Second question: I've seen 6.5TD trucks geared at both 3.73 and 4.10. Any major difference in driveability on both long trips and daily driving around town? What about MPG's? Maybe I should stick to a 4.10 rear so it won't hurt as much increasing tire size...

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
If you do get one try to get one with low miles. There honestly not to powerfull and not even compared to the dmax. The dually will help with heavy loads and handle alot better with less sway like if you got a 5th wheel or something top heavy that would push the truck around.

If your interested my buddy has a 98 dually with a 454 gasser centurion addition for sale. Its very clean. Guy used it to haul a travel trailer and it only got 40,000 on it IIRC. He wants $11,000 for it :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jason... I know they're not all that when compared to even a factory-stock Duramax, but I do know what I can do to them to give them a little more oomph and make them live a little longer, which is also easier to afford when I don't have a $300/month truck payment :)

I've got a line on both an extended-cab dually with 94k miles for $4800, or a crew cab dually centurion conversion with 118k miles for $5500. This afternoon when I get home from work I'll be working on pulling the funds for one of them

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Honestly man your much much better off getting a 5.9 or even a 7.3 then a 6.5. You'll have more power and less issues

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But... I don't want a Dodge, and definitely don't want another F-bomb...

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
just saying the motors are way better...i love chevy too but i have to admit the 6.2-6.5 was far from a great motor....

the fords i hate with a passion but really the older 12 valve dodges arent that bad at all and they will run a milliom miles if you take care of them

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
3.73 gearing is good for about 6,000lb towing, and 4.10's will get you up to 8,000lbs.

Those gears will get you 18~16mpg respectively with a 4x4 dually with a 4L80 behind it.

Too bad you are so far away, I have a line on a 2500 4x4 w/6.5l and NV4500 for CHEAP!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd say for more info check out SixFiveTurboDiesel.com - Powered by vBulletin I love my 6.5td almost as much as I love my Duramax. I haven't had hardly any problems with mine, and finally have it up to being in great shape.

By the way how cheap is that 2500 and how far from MN

·
Registered
940 Posts
dude i am a chevy guy but just go with an old cummins.

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,286 Posts
Yes an old 12 valve would be much better than that 6.5 and gets great fuel mileage also. I had a 95 dodge with the cummins, I was getting over 20 mpg empty, never got less than 14 loaded. and to tell you the truth the only reason I got rid of it was because the body was falling apart due to the michigan salt. had 425,000 on it when I got the chevy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts