Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kev's PreRunner work&play Build!

All the cool kids have been doing it. So I guess time has come for me to start a build thread.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.6 LBZ

Bought this truck used from a GM dealer in the fall of 2008 with about 60,000km/37,300miles on it after my 2004.5 Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.6 LLY was stolen and rolled! GrrRRrr

After a little bartering with the insurance company for a while. I was able to by my 04 (white truck) back as salvage. At that time i was thinking i was going to pull it apart and do a body swap with a old c10 or something.
Once I got the truck home I immediately stripped the white truck of its leather interior, center console, exhaust(4" magnaflo w/cat delete), and truxedo tonneu cover. Then installed it all back in the new truck which had the cloth six man seats. Sorry no pics of that swap.

Now fast forward 150,000km/93,200mi, 4 and a half trouble free years of flying down rough dirt rds, towing trailers, brutal cold winters(-45) and very spirited driving. In all that time, other than fluid changes, and 2 break jobs. The only parts that broke were 1 bolt holding the front left break caliper in place. And the rear break line on the axle.
At that point admittedly the front end was getting pretty sloppy. But thats fine as I knew I wanted to start building it up! And I knew when I did do a suspension I didn't just want a lift kit. I wanted a true SUSPENSION! (Not just a spacer)

So what I finally decided on was the Pure Performance Triple Threat system. A little pricy, but it seemed to be designed for what I was putting the truck through.

I don't know how to put pic's in the middle of the post so:
-First pic is my old truck (and go fast toy at the time)
-Second is my current truck as I got it (and current go fast toy)
-Third is the parts of the new suspension
-fourth is the day I picked up the truck after suspension install

Ok that's enough for this post I will continue in another...

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a few pics of playing around and seeing how the new suspension articulates

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now that I had the new suspension on there, I had a few issues to deal with. Mainly the fact that most of the added travel of this suspension comes from longer a-arms. And because of this the wheels get pushed out 3" PER SIDE! So between that, and the fact that I was obviously wanting to go for larger wheels and tires I was going to need to do something more than just bolt on fender flares.
Hours and hours and hours of scouring this internet ensued... after all me searching I learned a few things.
1- I wanted to get fiberglass fenders.
2- you can't find them for obs GMC's, if I had a chev sure, but not gmc. So I had a couple options.
1- get chev fenders, cut the front edge off where it contacts the headlights, and form more fiberglass so it would fit my headlights. (Which seemed time consuming, and difficult to make look good)
2- buy those chev fenders I mentioned, and factory chev hood, headlights, and grill (which would be easy enough, but pricey) 3- buy Fiberworks chev 07+ conversion (which came with nbs fiberglass hood, and the fenders for much cheaper than I could get the factory obs stuff for!)
So I went with option #3. Also I was able to get matching bedsides to complete the look! Fiberworks warned me that it was not a bolt on kit and required skinning the fender skins from the iner fenders, then mounting to the inner fenders. But that seemed easy enough.... so I ordered it up! Couple weeks later the truck showed up with my new fiberglass pannels. Which at first is a big yayyyy moment. Till I got a little closer and saw the handy work of the quality forklift operators at UPS!

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Needless to say I was not happy with UPS (aka Utterly Pathetic Shippers). So with dozens and DOZENS of phone calls and emails over the next 6 MONTHS! I finally settled with UPS and it was time to start stripping the truck down and begin slapping on my panels!

Pic1- ahhh my truck is naked!
Pic2-umm this is a big gap...
Pic3-my obs hood hinge vs. nbs hood hinge
Pic4-oh yay more gaps...

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a ton cutting, trimming, and massaging with a BFH(big f'ing hammer) I was getting very close to getting all the panels where they needed to be. But it was evident that some serious bracketry was going to need to be fabricated. And due to the delays cause from dealing with UPSfuck plus me not really being a bodyman. It became apparent that I was not going to get the truck together before winter (which is brutal where I live. And not having a garage...) and before I start my busy season at work. I decided to throw the truck back to stock.
However the one issue with that, I already hacked up my factory fenders. So I got a little fancy with some plastic, flatbar, and zap straps.

And sure enough winter came early, snow started flying, and I went to work (Yes i drove like this for 7monthes waiting for time off work, and better weather. No i did not get pulled over, or get any tickets. No my employers were not happy with my truck in this state lol)
It was during this time that I felt the truck needed a little something to keep it looking too "Beverly Hillbillys". So I mounted up a 40" LED light bar!

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last two pictures jumped ahead a bit without mention of another mod, or rather upgrade. New wheels and tires!
325/65r18 (34.63"×12.8"×18) Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's on 18x9 0mm offset KMC XD series 808 Menace wheels

And for the people that are on the fence about LED light bars DO IT! Well worth the money, especially now that they have come down in price so much in the last couple years. Much whiter light. And a much MUCH wider span of light which helps seeing down to the ground so you can spot the bumps ahead. And all the way up to tree tops which helps you notice bends in the rd ahead (and helpfull with dips in the rd) but most of all the wide span of light is excellent for seeing the shoulders and rd sides which is a lifesaver, or rather truck saver if your in deer territory!

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:wink[3]:At this point I was still pretty bummed about having the build on hold. And while walking around a auto parts store I found some Phillips lighting on sale.
So decided to swap out all of my map/dome lights. This just made me get bit by the LED bug! Then when I saw Retro Solutions advertising their reverse lights on here I just couldn't help myself and ordered some cree led reverse lights for my truck as well as the wifes Cherokee(also diesel btw! :wink[3]: ) a set of cargo lights, also got the door (courtesy) lights to finish off the interior. (Still have to do led dash lights)

Now when I put the truck in reverse, its brighter than the factory headlights used to be! So when your looking through tinted windows, i can actually see what im doing! And having the cargo lights is SUPER handy when looking for stuff in the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couple pictures of the cargo lights in action. (I can only do 5pics pet post) and obviously those last round of pics were not chronological as you may notice I have my bedsides on. But I didn't have pics of when I first put those lights in. So I just snapped those shots now. (And no thats nit a white exhaust stack in the bed thats a roll of paper towel from cleaning the mud of my tail lights hahaha)

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this build thread has Been a little wordy. Sorry this "chapter" is going to get worse. I'm not much of a point form type of guy, and I also enjoy telling stories. However this is the point where the story gets scary, sad, and damn near shitin yourself.

Mid way through last winter i was out in the bush working away as per normal for that time of year. It was early, still dark out, about +5c(40deg F) a warm morning for this time of year. It had just warmed up to this temp after several weeks of cold snowy weather. I was in a fairly mountainous area with steep hills, and corners everywhere and miles from anything. Really it was a spirited drivers playground, in these types of areas i usually get a bit of a heavy foot. Well thats just what i was doing, having a little fun. And hey why shouldn't i?
So i find myself dipping down a hill which quickly transitions and heads right back up, up, up and over a ridge line. As i mentioned it had just warmed up after several weeks of cold. Meaning the road surface was made up of water/slush on top of packed ice, with a gravel base below. In these types of spots its safest to carry lots of speed up hill to ensure you make it to the top, don't loose momentum and spin out leaving you stranded.

I've driven this rd before. MANY times, so i know what to expect. This is why i don't feel intimidated to hammer down a bit. ahead on the accent is a big hump in the rd, covered in ice. When i go over it the truck bounces and gets wheel spin. Then as the suspension compresses it does so right were the ice stops and a patch of frozen gravel resides. This immediate transition from wheel spin(in 4wheel drive) to sudden traction torques up the drivetrain and…
BANG!!! bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang….

Now remember I'm on a steep hill and just ahead is a blind corner. And though i am miles from town, there is lots of truck traffic in the area. Many of these trucks being HUGE heavy rigs, you know the kind of truck that would rather drive through me parked on the road than drive off a potential cliff along the side! That means I really have no option other than biting my teeth and driving through it till i get to the top. Which i do as carefully and slowly as i can… bang….. bang….. thunk….. thunk….. thud….
Once i finally near a spot close to the top, the truck sputters and stalls out. I rapidly slam on the breaks, throw the truck in park and jump out.

See here is where you would think I can calm down and begin assessing the damage. But the second I jump out and lean down to look under the truck. It begins to roll back. Back down the big as hill, and it was moving quick. I was barely able to kick myself back far enough to avoid being rolled over by the front tire! I then have to stay tucked as my door is wide open and its knocking me back down. Once I've cleared that i scurry to my feet as wildly as i can because now the truck is Picking up velocity. Now i have to not only catch up to the truck, but i have to get passed the door, pivot, and dive up, and in before the door simply knocks me down and careens away. Not and easy task on the ice, in the dark!

Against All odds i was able to fling myself in the cab. However i did this with the use of pulling off the steering wheel. This then caused the truck to kick violently to the side nearly jetting me right off the road. Once i was able to halt the erratic terror i had just been through, and all was still and quiet. I paused for a moment and mentally thanked all the Cross Country, and Track & Field coaches i had in the past when i was younger!

This time before stepping out of the truck i firmly set the parking break, and for good measure even threw a flat of water i had sitting in the back seat under the front tire as i got out. Upon inspection of the under carriage first thing I notice is my front driveshaft hanging towards the ground. Then I notice the steady flow of diesel out of my fuel lines from said drive shaft whipping around tearing everything all to hell. At this point i realize this is why the truck began to roll away from me the first time i stopped. Though i did put the shift leaver into park. It didn't actually shift the transmission because the driveshaft had also ripped the shift linkage of the tranny.

At this point due to the fuel lines being ripped out i know that I'm stranded. In a small slice of fortune a pickup came by not too long later. He was willing to drag me the next few miles to a camp where i was able to park the truck and call for a tow truck.
Ok, ok, i know i have been rambling on for a while here. so i will do my best to be more brief in my narrative of this story. Mostly because here is where the money begins to haemorrhage, and it saddens me to go on and on ablaut it.
-$1200 just to tow my truck back to the dealer in town!
Once they do an assessment:
-Bent driveshaft
-Broken fuel supply
-Broken fuel return
-Broken shift linkage
-Cracked Transfer Case
Aaaand
-Cracked Transmission Housing
GM Dealers quote for new shaft, linkage, lines. And re-building my t-case and trans in new housings… well A LOT
Local Diesel performance shop for new shaft, and t-case. Then installing a fully built BD Tranny with clutches, valve body, converter etc.. and adding a FASS 150Titanium lift pump while fixing the fuel lines. Actually not too much more than the original quote from GM!
So now i have a lift pump to feed more fuel…
And the Tranny to hold some serious power…
hehehe oh what to do now muah-ha-ha-ha!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i will do my best not to write any more novels. (and to think i don't even read books. other than at work, Diesel Power, and this forum is the only time i read)
I just figured some of you guys would enjoy that last tale.

Admittedly after getting the rather over the top suspension system I was really trying to stay modest with the mods for a while. And I had purposely not gotten a programmer for the truck because I knew that at some point I was going to build the motor properly and do efi live programming. so i wanted to keep the engine fresh till that point. But now that I have the built tranny its too enticing and I was really looking for something, really anything to boost up the power a little now that the truck is capable of so much.
Well it wasn't long before this site suckered me into buying something. I was perusing the classifieds section and came across an individual who had sold his truck and was selling some parts he got. and the best part was, he hadn't even installed any of it! so i got a;
-Edge juice with attitude, also with the hot unlock code
-Pyrometer probe and wiring for a mechanical guage
-CTS monitor
-Back-up camera
-EAS starter cable with,
-Pyrometer probe
-Temperature sensor
-Pressure sensor
-5volt switch
And about a dozen
-Transmission filters
-Oil filters
And
Water separators &
Fuel filters for my FASS

All this for $700! So moral of the story, read the classifieds on this site and support your below diesel enthusiasts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya ya ya, I need to get back to this. I'm still a year behind current setup in this build thread (and yet to get to the part most ppl are interested in) just been SUPER busy lately.

I will

·
Registered
39 Posts
sub'd

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pics with fender conversion!

·
Registered
18 Posts
would love to see the finished product as I just ordered the kit for my truck however wondering if anyone knows if newer 07-13 6.5ft box will fit on my 99-06 bodystyle

1 - 20 of 149 Posts