Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for the group:

I have been trying to figure out how to disable the turn signal tick tock on my ‘18 2500HD. I drive in silence on some days (yea yeah its weird but I find it relaxing) and find the blinker to be super annoying. Chime level in the Truck’s settings is all the way down.

So I know that it comes from the speakers and I have also read that people who change out their stereo head units have experienced issues with regaining their turn signal noises.

My questions are:

1. Is there a wire going to the head unit I can cut and terminate to make the sound go away?

2. If there is such a wire, would it disable any other sounds that come through the cabin? Honestly the only noise I would like to keep would be the backup sensor, and sure seatbelt one is fine too. Those are the only two that have any benefit to me. The rest of them: Key chime, door open chime, lights still on chime, blinker noise could all go away and that would be most welcome.

Appreciate you guys, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Questions for the group:

I have been trying to figure out how to disable the turn signal tick tock on my ‘18 2500HD. I drive in silence on some days (yea yeah its weird but I find it relaxing) and find the blinker to be super annoying. Chime level in the Truck’s settings is all the way down.

So I know that it comes from the speakers and I have also read that people who change out their stereo head units have experienced issues with regaining their turn signal noises.

My questions are:

1. Is there a wire going to the head unit I can cut and terminate to make the sound go away?

2. If there is such a wire, would it disable any other sounds that come through the cabin? Honestly the only noise I would like to keep would be the backup sensor, and sure seatbelt one is fine too. Those are the only two that have any benefit to me. The rest of them: Key chime, door open chime, lights still on chime, blinker noise could all go away and that would be most welcome.

Appreciate you guys, thanks.

i believe the signal for the chimes is sent through the same data wire that feeds the rest of the information to the factory radio. The chimes should play through the dash tweeters if memory serves, the easiest thing to do would be to disconnect the factory tweeters. the chimes are considered a "safety feature" as they are part of the seat belt system and that means its unlikely there is any intended way to disable them completely.

the reason they are lost when the aftermarket is installed is that people do not use the correct integration harness and just start hacking and slashing into the factory wire harness, disconnecting the data line and bypassing it with switched 12V to the aftermarket radio. This is not advised.

seatbelt chimes, key in cylinder chimes and turn signals will all be on the same system. you will lose all 3 if you disable 1. Im not sure about the parking assist, my guess would be that it is also part of that same data system though. If you pull the tweeters you will almost certainly lose all 4.

If you prefer you can also solder in a high wattage resistor in series with the tweeters which will cut there power significantly and reduce the chime to a much less mind shattering level. I need to do this to my 15 at some point because the parking sensor warning nearly gives me a heart attach every time it comes on. I have used 30 watt 8 ish ohm sand stone resistors in the past. That wattage is probably several times overkill but its what i had laying around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe the signal for the chimes is sent through the same data wire that feeds the rest of the information to the factory radio. The chimes should play through the dash tweeters if memory serves, the easiest thing to do would be to disconnect the factory tweeters. the chimes are considered a "safety feature" as they are part of the seat belt system and that means its unlikely there is any intended way to disable them completely.

the reason they are lost when the aftermarket is installed is that people do not use the correct integration harness and just start hacking and slashing into the factory wire harness, disconnecting the data line and bypassing it with switched 12V to the aftermarket radio. This is not advised.

seatbelt chimes, key in cylinder chimes and turn signals will all be on the same system. you will lose all 3 if you disable 1. Im not sure about the parking assist, my guess would be that it is also part of that same data system though. If you pull the tweeters you will almost certainly lose all 4.

If you prefer you can also solder in a high wattage resistor in series with the tweeters which will cut there power significantly and reduce the chime to a much less mind shattering level. I need to do this to my 15 at some point because the parking sensor warning nearly gives me a heart attach every time it comes on. I have used 30 watt 8 ish ohm sand stone resistors in the past. That wattage is probably several times overkill but its what i had laying around.

I saw one video where a guy ran wires from PS tweeter to DS tweeter, apparently the chimes only come in from the DS. I don’t love that solution since it probably gets rid of all of the chimes but it could reduce the noise to just the DS door speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts