Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the ignition key have a chip in it? Just tried to get a third key (emergency spare) and the local hardware store did not have a blank for the key. Dealer keys are always dammed expensive, but we need a spare. Perhaps a call to the dealer is in order. Has any one else had a problem finding spare keys or is our hardware store just behind the curve.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer I needed.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Expensive Key

Our 2K8 Silverado LTZ uses a system called "passkey 3". It measures resistence (measured in ohms) in the key cylinder, based on a computer chip in the key head. It is identified by having a small "+" plus sign stamped at the base of the metal key (closest to the rubber head). These keys are expensive :mad:(nearly $40)and also have a substantial programming process. The $40 also does NOT include the cost of the remote control. You can use the key to open the doors, but it won't start the truck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Key Concerns

Thank you for your reply. I was just concerned that you might be depending upon the key(s) as emergency spares only to find that all they did was open the doors, not start the truck. I have no idea how widespread the pass 3 key system is nor how many years it has been in use, and on what models. Apparently it has been in use at least several years, but I have no idea on what models beyond the 2K8 LTZ. It took some serious digging to learn this and a call to the parts department to confirm. If the local hardware store had had the blank, I would be comfortably driving around with a spare "door" key as an emergency ignition key.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been using the keys that I had made. The person I bought my truck from's wife can't find her key sence she never drove it. When I start my truck it has a padlock symble that lites up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts