Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key tumbler must be broken. I couldn't shut the engine off. I had to disconnect the batts and alt to get it to shut down. How do I get the tumbler out. I have it exposed but see no way to get the key and tumbler out.:help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

20041/2 lly

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Check your fuses. I remember reading something about a fuse that runs the ingnition switch. If it goes bad it will not let you move it. Not site on the validity of the statement but I recall reading it here somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, I will do that in the morning. If that is the problem you just have to love electronics. While technology is great I sure miss the days when you controled the machine not the other way around.

·
Registered
263 Posts
you can do what i did to my little gray turd car . the car got stuck in teh on postion i let left it running while i was out and about. got home still still wouldnt shut off.

so the old trusty screwdriver did the job, i really thought i just break it and it wold turn on and off by any thing then. nope i get to buy a new one

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
I did mention the relay. Happened on a Trailblazer, key could not be removed, but it could be turned on/off, started, just wouldn't go to "lock". Called a friend who's a tech, said to check relay (or fuse, not 100% positive which is was now :drink) and that was it. I doubt that is it in this case, as it's stuck ON, but I'd sure as hell try, it's an easy (and free, unless relay is shot) fix.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Not a good idea to remove the battery cables while the engine is running--you can fry electronics--best to remove the ignition fuse. Then remove the cable.

You need to pull the steering wheel to replace the cylinder lock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked fuses and found none blown. I reconnected the batt, the truck started with just the batt connection not the starter switch. The check engine light is on and the display on dash says reduced engine power. There is no response to the accelerator pedal. The check ABS and brake light is also on, so I do think this is something electronic. I will have to find someone with a code reader to check.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Helps when you tell us what kind of vehicle you drive-!

You can try AutoZone, they read the codes sometimes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mentioned in a previous post 2004 1/2 lly. It is in a Chev 3500 crew cab LT 4x4

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Sorry I missed it-- You can fill out your signature (click User CP at top) that way it will show when you ask for assistance. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try that. I am not very computer knowledgeable. If I can't get it to run I guess I will have to put a trailer hitch on my PT Cruiser or one of my older Mopars and haul it in to the repair shop. The Chev has hauled a lot of them around, now maybe its their turn to haul Sandy(the Chev) to the shop.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The key tumbler must be broken. I couldn't shut the engine off. I had to disconnect the batts and alt to get it to shut down. How do I get the tumbler out. I have it exposed but see no way to get the key and tumbler out.:help
Sorry to hear about your situation! Please keep me posted on your progress and if you have any more questions, we can further assist you. Thanks!

Joey Hamood, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
take off the steering column covers and there will be a small hole on the top of the column where the ignition cylinder rides. put the truck in gear so it wont start, turn the key to the start position and use the pick to push down on the small detent that is in the hole that i mentioned. the cylinder should slide out after this and you should see that the locking bar on the cylinder isnt laying down correctly. its a pretty common problem with GM products. i can try to get some pictures if you need them, let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is the tumbler. I couldn't use the pin hole as i keyser suggests as the tumbler is stuck in the on postion. It will not move to the start postion. I took the steering wheel off and the whole key assembly out and with picks and small screwdrivers and lot of swearing got the tumbler out of the assembly. The engine codes disappeared when I connected the batt this morning and the engine didn't start on its own so who knows what that was about yesterday. Must of been because it was Sunday. So I am off to see the local dealer to hopefully get a new tumbler. Thanks everyone!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts