Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just spent about 4 hours trying to install a leveling kit on my 02. The shock extensions were easy, but I haven't been able to get the old keys off of the torsion bars. I tried everything from a big hammer and drift to a puller. Anyone else run into this problem?:confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes i just did last week it was a total pain i had to heat the old keys till they were glowing then beat on them with a sledge hammer and a punch for about a hour then they finally slid out

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had to put heat to mine get them cherry hot then hit them with a smell 2lb hammer and BIG punch. Good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'm taking mine to the shop tomorrow and letting them install them. I'll just take it in for an alignment after that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to follow up and let you guys know the new keys are finally on! The shop had to cut the old ones off. It was spendy, but I had done some of the work so it wasn't as expensive as it could have been.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, as long as you loosen your torsion bars up and use that unloader tool, I made my own, I thought mine came off pretty good, and my truck has 120k on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've run into the same thing. I had them both unloaded and they were loose in the lca, but rusted over pretty good at the keys.

-Blaster, punch and a mallet. No go
-Blaster, bigger punch and a sledge. No go
-Heat, big punch and a sledge. No go (Not cherry red heat though, I needed a torch.)

I'm taking it to a shop later this week.

On the plus side, the Cognito Motorsports UCA, HD Tie Rods, Pitman and Idler arm supports, HD End Links and Bilstein shocks went on fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Heat the sh!t out of them and then spray them down works great!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.