Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am kinda a newbe. I previously had a 98' Cummins Ram. Now being a truck driver with a Cummins powered KW and working for a Case dealer, Cummins powered, I am quite partial to a Cummins. Before I get massacred I am a diehard GM fan. Only had a dodge because Gm's diesel was scrap. Anyway I don't have a truck quite yet, but I have a dealer calling me this week @ an 03 crew, shotbed. He is having new injectors installed by GM under warranty. Is there anything that I should be aware of or check out when I look at a Dmax. Any build codes I can check as far as posi rear, rear ratio, etc. Any words of wisdom or help would be greatly appreciated as the Dmax/Allison is totally new to me. Thanks for any help. Jason

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off welcome to the forum..the injecters is the only major problem for the earlier duramax other then that good luck and you will love the duramax,you can't compare it to the 5.9L cummins rep to the duramax rep but it is holding its own and is a far better then the older gm diesels..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you determine what engine is in it? I just looked at an 03 GMC 2500 crew sb with 112,000 for $19500. Good price? I think so for my area. All diesel are bringing good money right now. I was eyeballing an 04 3500 crew 4x4 with 150000 on the clock for 19k but it may be sold. Hopefully I will find something soon.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the best way to tell is by using the vin #,start by counting right to left and the 8th didgit if it is a
1=LB7 used 01 thru 04
2=LLY used 04.5 thru 05
3=LLY used early 06
D=LBZ used 06 thru 07
6=LMM used 07.5 and still is in mass prodution as of right now..hope this helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot. I hear and read @ LB7 engine this and LLY that. Had no clue on the difference. Can't wait to drive one.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the best one ofem all is the LBZ or at least thats what i think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts