Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been bouncing from forum to forum reading about how your exhausts sound and run, but I am still on the fence as to remove the kitty w/ a turbo back sys or to go with a kitty back sys. I want to put on 5" Pipes and run with either MBRP or Magnaflow.

The result I want is to get better 1.MPG 2.HP/TQ 3.Lower EGTs without the dreaded drone. All advice given will be much app!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know mbrp make a 4 inch system where you can go form turbo back to cat back by just changing the down pipe(unbolting it and bolting the cat pipe back on) I bet other makers have the same thing. I run that on mine. Here what I have found not much diffence in noise except for turbo whine which I like. Small effect on mileage, HP who knows but not much I assume, EGT have not checked them but I do know removing the cat will have the greatest effect on egt. I would stay with 4 inch if you do not want extra noise unless you plan on making big hp.:)

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
for me i would do the turbo back..i went with the t/b exhaust on my trucks and it did increase my fuel economy and the performance of the engine..just my thoughts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I agree wit 6.2!

I installed the MBRP 4in turbo back and love it! I gained a little MPG and HP lost alot of EGT's and Dont have very mutch drone loaded or unloaded at all. Personally I think its a waist of time and money to just get a cat back because the cat takes up so mutch power and tone!

The only downfall with the turbo back is theres a possibility that your SES light could come on. :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback guys....it's always great to hear.
6.2 - the difference in EGT's from a turbo back to a cat back would be about 30deg. You could see a total drop in EGT's with a turbo back of 200deg. Towmaster is right that the cat would retain some of the exhaust temps. Keeping the cat also holds back some of the throaty tone most truck owners are trying to get by putting on a new exhaust system. Going with the cat back & test pipe leaves you the option to put the cat back in if you need to.
Hope this helps....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Installed a 4" Stainless MBRP Turbo Back system a few days ago and its
AWESOME!

To soon to check MPG(its only got 1500 miles on it) and woundint say this
is going to pick up very noticable HP(Thats what tuners are for, but exhaust
systems are needed for that to soooooo)

As far as the sound?
If I want to sneak home late at night:drink I keep it well below the1800 RPM range.
If I want ta let her know that "DADDYS" home:D , Its 2500 at the turn in and down the drive way.

No nasty lights yet:rolleyes: , hope nothing changes. First load test coming this weekend. we,ll see

Eric

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am running 5" Magnaflow turbo back w/o the cat and absolutely love it :rockin !!! Its just as quiet at idle stock, but when i go WOT everyone knows I am coming :gearjamin .
Also, it comes with the 6" tip welded on instead of being bolted. Alot of others come wit a bolt on tip and I personally dont like that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
when you guys put the front pipe of tne turbo back did you have to unmount the tranny mount

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nope. Unbolt the old exhaust, bolt on the new one then:gearjamin . Very easy install.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
when you guys put the front pipe of tne turbo back did you have to unmount the tranny mount
if it has catts it is alot easier unbolting the tranny brace and dropping the stock pipe unless you have a good sawzaw..

i have the 5" on my LBZ and like it is stated above nice tone at idle but a bear under throttle..

·
Registered
24 Posts
say the truck does get a check engine light with the turbo back, what is the cure for it to run the turbo back

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep, what he said.

·
Registered
36 Posts
actully throwing codes it depends on your truck I know same that have never thrown a code with turbo back, there are some that the codes is tripped right away and then there are some that only trip once in a while. Personally I would by a tuner that erases codes first and reset it before any other mods are doen that may or may not be needed.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I had the same problem with mine! No, I just bent that bracket down into the cross member removed and finangled the cat out then installed the front pipe and rebent the bracket up. I actually had to bend the whole exhaust up because it rubbed on the cross member. :rolleyes:

say the truck does get a check engine light with the turbo back, what is the cure for it to run the turbo back

I agree with 6.2 again.... Throwing a code depends on your truck. Alot of times if you only install an exhaust and no intake you'll be fine but sometimes it will throw a code. There is more of a chance for throwing a code if you eliminate the cat and add a Intake to. Mine only comes on when your going up a hill with a load on the motor

You have to do just the opposite of what TYREBOYZ_DEMAXIN said... The finger stick is a computer chip that confuses the computer and makes the SES light not come on anymore. It wont however remove the code from the computer history. Oh ya, while your at it you might as well throw a blocker plate on as well :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts