Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 12878 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some requests for pictures and fuel Econ numbers for my big hauls. So here it is. I'll do my best to keep adding to this thread with all the heavy hauling I do.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For starters. Here is my heaviest load yet and probably my heaviest load ever.
Gross combined weight 41,680.
Truck weight at ~8,600.
So 33,080 pounds pulled.

Averaged 6.8 on rolling Florida/Georgia road. Could only maintain 55 in 4th gear to keep temps down. Would never tow this weight again if I can help it.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1433273855.782225.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1433273605.472282.jpg

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be picking up a 12k intermodal container to load on my 9k trailer today. I'll post pics soon and average fuel econ tomorrow at end of trip.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
527 Posts
For starters. Here is my heaviest load yet and probably my heaviest load ever.
Gross combined weight 41,680.
Truck weight at ~8,600.
So 33,080 pounds pulled.

Averaged 6.8 on rolling Florida/Georgia road. Could only maintain 55 in 4th gear to keep temps down. Would never tow this weight again if I can help it.

Could you relax at all on the drive? or was the whole trip intense?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys. Missed out on the intermodal container. Someone screwed up and it was loaded full. No way I'm hauling that! Haha.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Kowclub do you have a DOC or DPF in place?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fully deleted. Should have all mods in signature. Iv had issues in the past with signature not posting on mobile. Not sure why

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loaded heavy again.
Bobcat s185. 6600lbs
Bobcat min track 7200lbs
Pallet of metal spikes 3000lbs
Stacks on 2x4 and 4x6 1000lbs?

Trailer 9k

Total estimated weight towed: 26,800

Towed "fine" on flat to medium hills but I was pulling through the mountains of Tennessee and she did not like it. Was down to 15mph on one hill. Coolant hit 248 degrees. Trans temp hit 240. If I knew better I would have taken a different route as i think I took the steepest hills possible. Either way it was no Bueno.

Really hoping I didn't ruin anything with those temps.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1434418122.783277.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I think considering regearing would be a good option at those weights.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Strongly considering 4.10 gears. I slipped my trans once so I'm not sure if I should save for a build or just get the 4.10's first. When I get a built trans I can start using the full potential of my 3794, which will hopefully help me get up the hills easier.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What was the fuel mileage with the last load? I'm going to guess in the neighborhood 6-7 with those hills.

Is your truck 4wd?
I have 4.10's in my truck and would actually like a little lower for loads like this, like a 4.30. But 4.30 isn't an option for the front diff for the 4wd trucks.
I opted to just use a bigger truck for loads like this after 2 experiences like yours. Like you said it's the mountains that make it a fun ride, does great on flat ground. I never get the luxury of moving equipment on flat ground where I'm at, so I gave up moving loads like this with my pickup.

One of these days I'm going to experiment with making a lml fan clutch work on the older models. I think it would really help lower temps if you could manually lock in the fan at the bottom of the hill before it gave the temps a chance rise.

If you want to give the 4.10's a shot I have a set for sale for the rear:D

1 - 20 of 12878 Posts