Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 12999 Posts

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah I'm 2wd. What do you want for the gears? Do you have all the bearings that go along with it? I'm already afraid the 4.10's will be a bit annoying when I'm towing an empty trailer. 4.30's would be really nice when towing heavy though.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you heard of anybody successfully doing an lml fan clutch? My temps would have never gotten that high if it weren't for the laggy viscous clutch.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
4.10s at highway speed 70-75 in 6th would get you into a pretty sweet rpm spot I'm thinking.

Iv plugged the numbers into an rpm calculator many times. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the 4.10's once I have the funds. The 3794 set me back quite a bit. lol

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Let me know if I can get you a price on those gears when your ready...:thumb

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you heard of anybody successfully doing an lml fan clutch? My temps would have never gotten that high if it weren't for the laggy viscous clutch.
I haven't even heard of anyone attempting the LML fan clutch yet. Sure would be nice if we could make it happen tho!:thumb

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Forgot the get the picture with both of them on their.

2 containers 5k each.
Trailer 9k

Total towed 19k
Fuel econ high 8's low 9's
Hard to judge since I was stuck in traffic for a lot of it.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1435283448.606283.jpg

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Have you ever thought about air bags for the rear.....? Just curious...?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have Firestone airbags. They seem to work pretty well. I actually just ordered a compressor a few hours ago so I can adjust pressure on the road.

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Oh I didn't see it in your sig is why I asked......I gotcha, let me know if I can help you with anything! Feel free to pm me anytime!! Thanks!!

I just hauled 1800lbs in the back of mine the other day...got 20.2.....running 78

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh I didn't see it in your sig is why I asked......I gotcha, let me know if I can help you with anything! Feel free to pm me anytime!! Thanks!!

I just hauled 1800lbs in the back of mine the other day...got 20.2.....running 78

Just installed the air lift compressor kit. Very happy with it. I can adjust pressure on the fly, which helps when the truck gets to bouncing on some of the wonderful Midwest highways.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1435774977.797309.jpg

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Estimated weight 3k
Trailer 9k
Total towed 12k
Average about 9.8mpg, I was driving fast and hard trying to get home for a weekend on the lake. Was going about 70-75 the whole way.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1435775068.227738.jpg

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Dude you need a bigger truck !!!! Your way overloading it. If your tranny already slipped once that means there's damage done. How do the brakes work towing that much weight ???

Nah it's pulls just fine. Trailer has great brakes so stopping is no issue. Trans only slipped once when I was running to much hp unloaded. Obviously id like a bigger truck, but iv gotta run this for a while longer before I can afford an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Concur with Chevyman. For some of the weights posted here, you should be in a Class 8 truck not a dually.

Reactions: Plrbear3500drw

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Concur with Chevyman. For some of the weights posted here, you should be in a Class 8 truck not a dually.
I don't know about a full blown class 8 road tractor... Considering my tare combination weight is 35k pounds, which is almost more than his heaviest listed loaded weight. These trucks can handle 19k pounds if the driver knows what he's doing, would a class 5-6 be advisable, Yes.

Now what I don't understand is why hot shot guys do this in pick ups when they full time. Figure at 79k pounds I'm getting a hair over 8 miles to the gallon, the trucks drive line is built to last roughly a million miles, and at the end of the day I have a full sleeper to relax in and type this.

21 - 40 of 12999 Posts