Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 13011 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know about a full blown class 8 road tractor... Considering my tare combination weight is 35k pounds, which is almost more than his heaviest listed loaded weight. These trucks can handle 19k pounds if the driver knows what he's doing, would a class 5-6 be advisable, Yes.
IMO the class 8 trucks are so much nicer to drive than the 5-6 trucks. More comfortable to drive down the highway, more substantial drive train. With load and terrain being equal the class 8 trucks get as good or better fuel mileage in my experience.

Now what I don't understand is why hot shot guys do this in pick ups when they full time. Figure at 79k pounds I'm getting a hair over 8 miles to the gallon, the trucks drive line is built to last roughly a million miles, and at the end of the day I have a full sleeper to relax in and type this.
Makes sense to me :thumb
Since you bring this up..... I'm curious, what do most hot shots do when its time for off duty? Motel every night? Seems like that would burn up a good chunk of the profit. Because if I'm not mistaken the back seat doesn't satisfy the DOT. I see some people with sleepers mounted to the front of trailer, but most don't.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
IMO the class 8 trucks are so much nicer to drive than the 5-6 trucks. More comfortable to drive down the highway, more substantial drive train. With load and terrain being equal the class 8 trucks get as good or better fuel mileage in my experience.
As an example, I'm currently at 79,080 pounds. Cruising down the interstate yesterday I got ball park between 8.1-8.5 mpg, hand calculated was 8.3 at the fill up but due to inconsistency in foaming and level ground, I give a small margin.
Think about that for a second though...
Now yea, these are flat land numbers. Today I played around in the hills of the north east all day. The truck says 7.7 mpg and its typically at the top of the margin, so I'm expecting 7.5 mpg at the pump pulling the same load.
The first average includes one day of idling at 15 hours, and the one tomorrow will be about 18 hours on idle.

Makes sense to me :thumb
Since you bring this up..... I'm curious, what do most hot shots do when its time for off duty? Motel every night? Seems like that would burn up a good chunk of the profit. Because if I'm not mistaken the back seat doesn't satisfy the DOT. I see some people with sleepers mounted to the front of trailer, but most don't.
Just a hush hush part of the industry... I actually saw a dodge 5500 about a month ago, it was a crew cab with about the longest wheel base available with about a 48 inch sleeper set up behind the cab!

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Dot change the laws about a year ago. You can log "off duty" while you're in the truck. That essentially purposefully made a loophole for hotshotters. I took out my back seat a got a custom cut mattress. Works pretty good, but a real sleeper would be nice!

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
As an example, I'm currently at 79,080 pounds. Cruising down the interstate yesterday I got ball park between 8.1-8.5 mpg, hand calculated was 8.3 at the fill up but due to inconsistency in foaming and level ground, I give a small margin.
Think about that for a second though...
Now yea, these are flat land numbers. Today I played around in the hills of the north east all day. The truck says 7.7 mpg and its typically at the top of the margin, so I'm expecting 7.5 mpg at the pump pulling the same load.
The first average includes one day of idling at 15 hours, and the one tomorrow will be about 18 hours on idle.

Just a hush hush part of the industry... I actually saw a dodge 5500 about a month ago, it was a crew cab with about the longest wheel base available with about a 48 inch sleeper set up behind the cab!

Impressive numbers. What do you drive?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Light load today. About 2k
Giving me a gcwr of 20.5k

Averaged 12.8 with a couple hours of idle time. Probably more like 13 with out idle time.

This is more than I usually get unloaded, only thing changed is that I am running xdp (extreme diesel) fuel additive. And was going 65 instead of 70. I'll keep an eye on it and report if I think it helped mpg's.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1436389312.508961.jpg

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Light load today. About 2k
Giving me a gcwr of 20.5k

Averaged 12.8 with a couple hours of idle time. Probably more like 13 with out idle time.

This is more than I usually get unloaded, only thing changed is that I am running xdp (extreme diesel) fuel additive. And was going 65 instead of 70. I'll keep an eye on it and report if I think it helped mpg's.

View attachment 679681

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you towed with this same setup but on a stock truck? I'm wondering if the tune and performance upgrades played a big part in increasing the MPG.

I simply tow a 5-6k load with my LBZ and the best I've hand calc'd at is 11.7 MPG.

Also, it looks like you hot shot OTR. Do you stick to one industry, or are you taking it as you can get it?

Tune and delete played the biggest factor in increasing fuel econ.

I haul anything I can. If it's fits it ships. Lol

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Basically maxed out legally. Truck axle is rated to 10k and I'm plated for 36k. I'll update with econ numbers tonight. Easy haul Louisville to Chicago. Mostly flat.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1436473927.264505.jpg

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Tune and delete played the biggest factor in increasing fuel econ.

I haul anything I can. If it's fits it ships. Lol
I see. I have a block off plate waiting to be installed, but eventually I would like to do a full delete. And of course a tune will come as soon as I can afford it.

lol I hear ya. Is it tough limiting yourself to one industry? The reason I ask is I've done some research on hot shotting in the oil industry out in Texas and it's peaked my interest. Have you heard anything or done any research into that? Do you run through a broker?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Basically maxed out legally. Truck axle is rated to 10k and I'm plated for 36k. I'll update with econ numbers tonight. Easy haul Louisville to Chicago. Mostly flat.

View attachment 679953

How much does just your truck weigh? If it's under 8,000 lbs you dont have to declare your weight or buy heavy tags. ImageUploadedByAG Free1436497155.942161.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I see. I have a block off plate waiting to be installed, but eventually I would like to do a full delete. And of course a tune will come as soon as I can afford it.

lol I hear ya. Is it tough limiting yourself to one industry? The reason I ask is I've done some research on hot shotting in the oil industry out in Texas and it's peaked my interest. Have you heard anything or done any research into that? Do you run through a broker?

Hot shot is not all the sunshine rainbows and lollipops everyone makes it out to be. I can be very cut throat and hard to make a buck. The money is good when it's good though. I currently run through a dispatcher. They search all of the load boards and their brokers to find me loads. It's been good, but need to get better. Im hoping things smooth out or I might take an offer to start hauling cars.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Kow, how are you legal when your truck is deleted??? . . .

And how far do you fly that 250f??? :thumb

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Once you go over 26k you have to go apportioned.

Ok. I run Florida mostly and I'm short haul 75% of the time. If i run 100 miles or more into Georgia and Alabama or on the occasion I have to go to another state we just get fuel permits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: kowclub173

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hot shot is not all the sunshine rainbows and lollipops everyone makes it out to be. I can be very cut throat and hard to make a buck. The money is good when it's good though. I currently run through a dispatcher. They search all of the load boards and their brokers to find me loads. It's been good, but need to get better. Im hoping things smooth out or I might take an offer to start hauling cars.
I hear ya, but show me an industry where it's easy to make a good buck and it is sunshine and rainbows :neener

That's interesting you say you'd jump to car hauling, because from what I read on some other boards it seemed like that was the worst of the hauling to be done, especially with a dually.

Have you ever hauled for oil fields?

How much time a month do you spend at home?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I hear ya, but show me an industry where it's easy to make a good buck and it is sunshine and rainbows :neener

That's interesting you say you'd jump to car hauling, because from what I read on some other boards it seemed like that was the worst of the hauling to be done, especially with a dually.

Have you ever hauled for oil fields?

How much time a month do you spend at home?

Don't get me wrong I love what I do, I just talk to a lot of people that think it's a gold mine. Which I think it probably was when it first started in the oil fields. I have never hauled for oil fields but iv only been doing flatbed for few months, and I hear they are pretty slow with the low fuel prices.

I'm only considering car hauling because I would be signing on with someone, guaranteed minimum pay and less hassle.

I usually end up with about a week or more at home each month.

41 - 60 of 13011 Posts